Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: My home, A Police State?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:09 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
This is happening where I live and I'd be very interested in what my fellow Sluggites thought:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australian-state-of-queensland-adopts-populist-hardline-laws-reminiscent-of-soviet-russia-and-hitlers-germany-9040144.html

Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:02 pm 
Tough on crime is one thing, but total disregard of due process (which is what this sounds like) is another. Yikes.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:19 pm 
Quote:
Mr Fitzgerald himself is so concerned that, after living in obscurity for the past 25 years, he has returned to the public eye to warn that Queensland is in danger of returning to the “dark days of political caprice and corruption”. In a series of interviews, he has accused Mr Newman of pandering to “redneck” voters, and likened Queensland to a “one-party state”, controlled by “a group who seemingly … don’t care that the use and abuse of a large parliamentary majority is not true democracy”.

I didn't realize the term "redneck" was used outside the United States...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:32 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
We're headed that way in the US too

Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:35 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
For a while rednecks seemed to fit into, what we call, bogans (or bevens in some other states) but there is quite a difference so the American term seems to have caught on.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:42 am 
What is the difference, may I ask?

And the law about how you can't have three or more bikers gathering at once is insane.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:32 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Bogans are Australia's answer to Chavs. They live in the outer suburbs. Drink cheep beer. Drive utes, swear a lot and collect old cars on their footpath. Rednecks are similar but live in rural country areas and tend to have to work pretty hard in unfavourable weather.

The laws are targeted at bikies but writen to include anyone so a group of three or more can be classed as a illegal gathering no matter who they are.
A group of bikies attempted to enter court to give testimonials but were told they were gathering illegally and had to leave or face arrest.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:35 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Steave wrote:
The laws are targeted at bikies but writen to include anyone so a group of three or more can be classed as a illegal gathering no matter who they are.
A group of bikies attempted to enter court to give testimonials but were told they were gathering illegally and had to leave or face arrest.

Yeah, I'd probably start to give some serious consideration to finding a new place to live if I were living there. That is some serious bull right there.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:16 am 
If they have written a law so that a family of four on a weekend picnic outing is technically doing something illegal, they have seriously buggered things up.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:15 am 
kitoba wrote:
I didn't realize the term "redneck" was used outside the United States...

I didn't realise it was used outside South Africa... though I think it has a very different meaning here...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:24 pm 
CCC wrote:
I didn't realise it was used outside South Africa... though I think it has a very different meaning here...

That is pretty close to what I remember reading the origin of the US version being, although here it was supposedly based on easily burned Irish immigrants.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:39 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
s.i.l. wrote:
CCC wrote:

That is pretty close to what I remember reading the origin of the US version being, although here it was supposedly based on easily burned Irish immigrants.

Redneck in the US actually got started from the formation of the coal miner unions in West Virginia. Anyone who wanted to show support for the union was encouraged to wear a red bandanna around their necks.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:49 am 
From Wikipedia
Quote:
The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".

The union workers appropriated the term afterward.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:50 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Kajin wrote:
Yeah, I'd probably start to give some serious consideration to finding a new place to live if I were living there. That is some serious bull right there.

Bad things happen when good people do nothing. I think I should stay here and fight the power ... and I couldn't get a working visa for London.
Kea wrote:
If they have written a law so that a family of four on a weekend picnic outing is technically doing something illegal, they have seriously buggered things up.
yep and the PM is hot on his heels as far as bad decisions go.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:20 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Kea wrote:

cant say that i dont agree with you folks, now i'm an american redneck, and i think most of that is as one radio talk host puts it, "Bovine Scatology"

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts