Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:40 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Color me less than surprised, but Trump declined to defend himself in the defamation/rape suit. Though the jury did get to watch his taped deposition where he testified that the plaintiff is so completely unattractive to him that he dumped his first wife for her, and that sexual assault is pretty much just one of his privileges. The jury should be getting the case by Tuesday: I suspect that the smart money is on the verdict coming back before close of business this Friday.

What might be interesting to watch, though it'll take a bit longer to play out, is if the Republicans in Georgia completely politicize and corrupt law enforcement in the state before Trump and his various buddies get indicted this summer. If they do, then we can safely expect the most blatant and absurd of lies to be offered as the excuse to replace the woman investigating this case with a good old boy Republican (who will instantly drop the case). The only reason I'm not morally certain that this will happen is that the Governor wants Trump gone; and even if he is rather weak (it's a southern governor thing), that still matters.

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:16 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
And in fact it took 3 hours for the jury to decide that he sexually abused and defamed her, then award her $5 million. I wonder how long it will take before her legal team starts attaching his properties to deal with non-payment...not that that should be the most likely outcome, but it does seem likely to be.

Oh, and he can't be openly called a rapist without some slight risk of legal repercussion. A sex abuser? Yup. He can be introduced at a Republican party debate that way and can't say boo about it (at least not in court).

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:54 am 
Nice to see the horrible little man get some kind of comeuppance. His deposition was something else.

Wanna bet he raises most of that 5 million off the backs of his most rabid supporters? Something something I'm the most victimized president in the history of presidents, wokeist deep state persecution, something, ugly vultures want my money, yadda yadda MAGA! And a bunch of random Joes will send him their pension cheques. Again.

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:31 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Could be. Though now that he's admitted on TV that he was personally party to taking the classified documents, committed the crime in DC (so the suit can be filed there instead of Florida), and knew he was doing it at the time; he may have bigger worries. Especially since it sounds like the National Archive is turning over proof that he and his minions were all legally considered to know the rules at the time because they were all briefed repeatedly.

And of course he can get sued again, for the defamation, by Ms. Carroll for the same TV appearance. But this time it goes straight to judgement because everything beside whether he shot his mouth off again has all been proven by the first trial.

But silver linings and all: lots of little psychopaths who seem to think they're electable are coming out of the woodwork to file for the Republican nomination. The anti-Trump vote will be split many, many ways. Not that we've seen what will happen then before...

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:33 am 
Do you mean a silver lining for Trump or a silver lining for the rest of us? Because I don't want to live through another general election with Trump in it. This timeline is screwed up enough as it is. I just heard about the wannabe nominee who wants to raise the voting age to 25 because Republicans are so bad at appealing to young people, he'd rather disenfranchise them entirely. He's probably not even the biggest weirdo.

Carroll is suing Trump again, but I wouldn't bet on him learning to keep his mouth shut. I do expect him to try to weasel out of paying her.

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Silver lining for him. And perhaps for us, simply because if he's on the ballot he screws the GOP down ballot in any even vaguely competitive race. It's amazing how few potentially electable folks want to run for Congress or the Senate on the Republican ticket from swing states with him at the top.

From what I've read Carrol isn't suing him again; she just amended her 2019 suit to ask for more damages. That's the one that's still pending for which all the heavy lifting has been done already.

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:12 am 
Quote:
Silver lining for him. And perhaps for us, simply because if he's on the ballot he screws the GOP down ballot in any even vaguely competitive race.

At this point it looks to me like a choice between poop flavoured chocolate and chocolate flavoured poop.

On the one hand, Trump has become a millstone round the necks of the Republicans; on the other, I'm not sure US democracy would survive having to listen to his braying for another 18 months. As long as Trump remains relevant, the Republicans will keep sliding towards fascism. And they're not gonna stay out of power forever.

The American swing voter seems to have a remarkable capacity to go "I'll vote for the barking lunatic who's declared war on drag queens and books about black history because I dunno, Biden's kind of lame."

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:59 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The fascist ship sailed in 1964. They're just getting steadily more open about it, and they don't need Trump's help (though he has sped up the process a bit).

I don't think it's so much a matter of the swing voter making that particular choice, as the swing voters in this country are wilfully politically pig ignorant folks who regard what they hear on the pro-Republican corporate news a couple of days before the election as true enough for them. For reasons both sympathetic and not, they don't understand and don't want to understand what's going on. So functionally, yes; they hear Biden's gaffes repeatedly and don't hear Trump gibbering and so think the former is what's important.

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:31 am 
I'd say Trump accelerated it quite a bit, he shattered the norms that were just barely holding the American political experiment together and made other Republicans realize that they could break whatever rules they wanted and it wouldn't matter. Also he is stupid as rocks but he has a remarkable talent for tapping into the most vicious part of the conservative psyche, and he's made that a mandatory part of winning Republican primaries. Going from Sarah Palin to Marjorie Taylor Green in two decades is a big step down, and if we've learned anything about Trump, it is that there is no bottom.

In our lifetimes we're gonna see a US presidential candidate calling for extrajudicial killings like Duterte did, and 48% of the country would still vote for that guy.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:17 pm 
1. Trump indicted for stealing classified documents. Woohoo!
2. It's an open and shut case, the idiot was caught on his own security cameras. So far so good.
3. The judge is Aileen Cannon. ARE YOU _-#($+&ING KIDDING ME?!?

Jayzus.

Jack Smith, who is no fool, will try to get her replaced. But it will be a long drawn out faff.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:48 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Passiflora wrote:
1. Trump indicted for stealing classified documents. Woohoo!
2. It's an open and shut case, the idiot was caught on his own security cameras. So far so good.
3. The judge is Aileen Cannon. ARE YOU _-#($+&ING KIDDING ME?!?

Jayzus.

Jack Smith, who is no fool, will try to get her replaced. But it will be a long drawn out faff.

well, if anything, if Trump actually get convicted, his supporter will have an hard time trying to argue the judge was a George Soros appointee.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:00 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
From what I'm hearing, Cannon isn't likely to be the trial judge (she's nowhere near the court that will actually hear the case); and precedent in that circuit already makes her recusal (voluntary or otherwise) pretty easy to get. But that aside, the armed insurrection indictments will still be in DC; so it's not like this is the only game in town.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:56 am 
Judge Cannon is in charge of the trial. With the Republicans screaming about "political persecution", I bet nobody's gonna step in and make her recuse herself until she does something obviously egregious, and she might just be smart enough this time to mess with Jack Smith for months without stepping over the line.

Edit: Turns out it's very difficult to get a judge disqualified from a case for bias. You can't do it based on their previous rulings alone even if said rulings were cuckoo crazy. You'd have to find some evidence that Trump gave Cannon a ride on his private jet and paid for her mortgage or something. She could drag the trial out for years. She could refuse to admit all sorts of evidence. She could even throw out the jury's guilty verdict and it would be unappealable. The only way this trial won't be a clown show is if she's been scared straight, which, hahahahahaha.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:44 pm 
The additional allegations against Trump are like something out of the Three Stooges. After being caught by his own security cameras, and having the footage subpoenaed, he ineptly attempted to delete the footage, and when the IT guy wouldn't comply, emptied the swimming pool into the server room??? Looks like the FBI got the footage anyway based on the extremely detailed charges.

He's still the Republican frontrunner though. You can kick the guy off social media for 3 years but he's still stuck to the bottom of our collective shoes like old gum. The wingnuts that own the GOP will accept no knockoffs. Seems like they're less interested in ideological purity than in Trump's personal brand of chaotic evil.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:38 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I don't know how much you can really style overt corruption and contempt for the law/lawful as an ideology; but Trump certainly gives it to them.

The new case in DC may get interesting; especially if they decide not to play the game of the judge in Florida and start the case immediately upon her granting so much as an hour's delay to her boy Donald. Which consideration isn't going to make his lawyers any happier playing their Florida delay games (knowing they won't get a shaved second in DC no matter what).

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts