Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:12 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
They may, but probably not for Trump. They haven't so far.

And Desantis is all but garbage so far as Trump's base is concerned: he's a psychopathic criminal ass, yes, but he's also one of those 'better than them' Republican machine types with the personal charisma of a slug. And he's just going to be one of many, with all the wrong Republicans singing his praises. So I strongly suspect the way to bet is that RON! is the new JEB!, but of course I could err.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:05 am 
If not Ron DeSantis (who is trying to run to the right of Trump on anti-vax nuttery), they'll find someone else. No way the GOP nominee for 2024 isn't a lunatic. Heck, maybe one of the Fox News flying monkeys will throw his hat into the ring. *Shudders at the thought of President Tucker Carlson*.

Can the special counsel please indict Trump already, for stealing classified documents if nothing else? Major Trump crimes:
- Stealing classified documents
- Fomenting an insurrection
- Trying to extort Ukraine
- Scammy real estate stuff
- Tax evasion
- All the emoluments stuff
- Multiple counts of sexual assault

What am I missing? Sad state of affairs that assaulting women is the least likely to get him in legal trouble.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:01 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
It's already gotten him in legal trouble, but it does look unlikely to get him charged with a crime.

Meanwhile his acolytes in the House tell him what a wonderful fellow he is while ignoring his desire to vote for McCarthy. Seems to be working, too. Funny, that.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:20 am 
They're slotting him into the role of Dingus Emeritus. Seems to me he was able to push the Republicans around while he was the craziest voice in the room and everyone feared being primaried from the right. Now the GOP is full of crazy, and even the comparatively "normal" ones have had to move in to nutbag policy territory consisting mostly of harassing LGBTQ people, which their voters seem to be fine with so long as they can wear a suit and tie without sounding deranged.

Which brings us to the Kevin McCarthy clown show. I have a feeling it's gonna be a gruelling 2 years.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:00 pm 
Do all presidents just end up with piles of classified documents lying around in their garages/basements/closets?

*Facepalm*

Yes, I know that Biden is cooperating fully in giving them back, but for pity's sakes! What a stupid own-goal.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
It's actually kind of common for people who have to handle lots of them in other than completely secured locations, yes. That's one of the reasons the law Trump so openly flouted is written to specify that it's a criminal offense if you do it on purpose.

Which isn't what you might call comforting; but given the number of people who actually lose their wallets every year, it's not very surprising.

Oh, and B'rer Donald spontaneously dropped a completely bogus lawsuit against the New York AG. Of course this only happened immediately after he was fined a million bucks for another completely bogus lawsuit in the same court; but it's the thought that counts...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:23 am 
I've read that the US government generates altogether way too many classified documents for anyone to ever keep track of (something on the order of millions per year) and that it's not uncommon for a random paragraph to be classified in the middle of an otherwise unclassified 50 page document. They classify all sorts of crap that isn't even secret. Some of Hillary Clinton's mishandled documents were emails discussing news reports because officially, the State Department pretended not to acknowledge a thing everyone already knew about. If Biden had gone home and printed off a bunch of his work emails, those would be classified documents. This is ridiculously unwieldy. But when it comes to the highest levels of government, none of this stuff should be taken out of the White House at all.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:55 pm 
In spite of everything that has happened, it still looks like Trump has even odds of becoming the Republican nominee in 2024. Trump's probably going to once again capture the nutjobs while everyone else's votes are divided between four or five candidates. The Republicans are deeply split right now - Fox News seems to be shadowbanning Trump as a guest - but it's the nutters who reliably vote in primaries. And it looks to me that the window to indict him is rapidly closing. Will any AG pull the trigger?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:13 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
It looks like New York is about to: he's been asked to testify to a Grand Jury in what's usually the last step before indictment.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:06 am 
That's for the Stormy Daniels cover-up, right? I find it utterly underwhelming that that's what he's going to get indicted for, but whatever. Does anyone ever go to jail for stuff like this or is it one of those financial crimes that rich guys agree to settle for some large amount of money and no admission of guilt?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:02 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The only suit he's facing like that is the defamation suit in New York; but it seems unlikely that the plaintiff is interesting in letting him off the hook for a trial. Even if she was, the amount she'd openly demand would be a tacit confession of guilt if he agreed.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:36 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Ok, looks like he's being indicted in New York City on Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see just how stupid his fans in the cheap seats are come the event. Me, I want a copy of the mug shot.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:49 am 
No indictments yet. Doo doo dee doo.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Looks like they pushed it off to next week. I might need to get fresh canapes. Though I did read that the trial over his rape accusation will have an anonymous jury now, what with his statements whipping up problems (or trying to) over the falsifying records/tax fraud case.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:53 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Apparently the NY grand jury won't be voting on indicting Trump for a month. Unless they already have. Reading tea leaves can get tedious when all mine ever spell out is 'reply hazy, ask again tomorrow'.

Though I did just read that Allen Weisselberg has fired his Trump provided lawyers as Bragg considers more charges against him. That might prove interesting.

Edit: and yes, they already had voted to indict before they went home. 30 counts of business fraud and such like. I suspect tax fraud is buried in there in a few places as well. A bit more than campaign finance abuses.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts