Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:38 am 
It's been many, many years of reading sluggy. I've read all 21 years, and started when the AJ/Torg crossover with User Friendly happened.

In all those years, I've never felt wealthy enough to even spend $24 on myself. Now I suddenly find myself with enough income that I'll spend more than that on dinner.

What is the best way for me to invest in one sluggy book a month for the next two years? And actually cover all the bonus stories?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:12 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I don't know about old books, but there is a certain level of DefNif that means Pete will mail you all the new books automatically.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:50 pm 
Just followed the IndyPlanet link to see about buying one or two of the old books. Almost $11 shipping to get a $20 book (because the only shipping option seems to be Priority Mail Express).
Not cool.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:18 pm 
elric999 wrote:
Just followed the IndyPlanet link to see about buying one or two of the old books. Almost $11 shipping to get a $20 book (because the only shipping option seems to be Priority Mail Express).
Not cool.

It's even worse if you're not in the US. I bought Megatomes 1 and 2 years ago but getting hold of just book 7 in the UK would cost nearly $50!

Time to send round the bunny? :bunbun:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:48 am 
Okay, just wanted to update with my experiences so far of using a package forwarder.

It's looking pretty good. Still time for it all to go sideways, but:

• I signed up for an account with myus.com (others are available, these just had the best pricing for one-off small packages I could find)
  • I was assigned a US address
  • I used that address in the Sluggy Store and paid $9.65 shipping to USPS
  • I was able to track that parcel using the USPS tracking number
  • 36 hours after it arrived I got a notification from MyUS that they had my parcel (there's a review process)
  • I sent them a screenshot of my order invoice to confirm the package value
  • It should ship out on Friday by FedEx International
  • I'll be charged a further $11.99 for that shipment

So doing it this way I'm going to end up paying just over $20 shipping rather than the $40+ USPS wanted.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:18 am 
I'll never understand how adding extra steps, people, and processes in cases like this can get things done cheaper. The question always remains: Which of the two is the one that's (potentially) exploiting me? Or someone else?

Hmm. sigh.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:17 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I'm so glad it worked out for you. I feel bad for people who don't have Book 9 because I actually have a signed copy (from one of the last times ever Pete attended San Diego Comic Con.)

Also, I am extremely happy the store is currently O P E N for business. Maybe we'll finally get through that pesky backlog XD.

POOF!
*Returns to Relative Obscurity, while he's still in a good mood*

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:42 am 
Spirantz wrote:
I'll never understand how adding extra steps, people, and processes in cases like this can get things done cheaper. The question always remains: Which of the two is the one that's (potentially) exploiting me? Or someone else?

Hmm. sigh.

The answer is USPS.

As Pete pointed out - the store is effort, and researching alternative international shipping providers is extra effort. Looks like USPS have just jacked their international prices because they can, and small sellers don't really have the option to go elsewhere.

I expect IndyPlanet will make a similar excuse, but it hurts more because they're supposed to be a proper business and therefore could definitely do a better job.

End result was: I got a book 9. I ended up paying more in S+H than I intended because I apparently didn't tick the right "use the cheapest option" box so it didn't save me as much as I'd planned (and they're trying to charge me for VAT when books are tax-exempt in the UK, and, and, and...) but at least for now: books 1-11 are in my possession.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:00 am 
...brutal. I would have bought a bunch more things over the years if it weren't for those shipping rates. Yikes. I got a good long run from my old and now long retired Hereti Corp hat at least! I've got the first megatome, but that's where my collection ends...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:30 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
...brutal. I would have bought a bunch more things over the years if it weren't for those shipping rates. Yikes. I got a good long run from my old and now long retired Hereti Corp hat at least! I've got the first megatome, but that's where my collection ends...

Tis the season to be Nifty:

Also I should dust that shelf... :kzk:

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:39 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I would have put my Bun-bun shot glass on mine; but letting it get dusty seemed un-nifty. Though it has turned out to be useful in cooking, as it's the size of an old-fashioned wine glass (two ounces).

Eh, if I ever stumble on the books in a convention again, I guess I'll be replacing one or two.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:46 pm 
are megatome 1 and book 9 not available for print on demand in the Indy store? if so is this unavailability temporary?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:06 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
mizo9999 wrote:
are megatome 1 and book 9 not available for print on demand in the Indy store? if so is this unavailability temporary?

Pete has huge stocks of Megatome 1 and Book 9 at his house and want to first empty them before making them available at Indy Planet. You'll have to wait for the Sluggy store to open if you want to buy any of them. He give more explanations here:
https://sluggy.com/blog/view/16665/i-fo ... ject-16669

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:05 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
mizo9999 wrote:

Pete has huge stocks of Megatome 1 and Book 9 at his house and want to first empty them before making them available at Indy Planet. You'll have to wait for the Sluggy store to open if you want to buy any of them. He give more explanations here:
https://sluggy.com/blog/view/16665/i-fo ... ject-16669
WOW thanks! That's exactly the info I needed!

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat