Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Re: The Virus
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:22 am 
Weremensh wrote:
Granted they didn't have to put up the walls, but the Javits Center here in NYC has been turned into a temporary hospital in one week. Happily Comic Con has already come and gone not long ago.

Oh dear, you're in NYC? Stay safe/isolated!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:37 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Where's the fun in that?

I did note an interesting story, though. It seems that the problem that drives people with the coronavirus onto respirators is not enough oxygen in the blood rather than too much CO2, so a number of them can simply be given oxygen without being put on a respirator. Not for everyone of course; but every little bit helps.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:40 pm 
Weremensh wrote:
Where's the fun in that?

Oh, people made do. https://youtu.be/aXUyGvmXFbw

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Apparently this is not the apocalypse we were waiting for. Though apparently it's the apocalypse (New York) Governor Andrew Cuomo was waiting for: he's thought to be doing such a good job he's gone from 6 points underwater to 48 points positive in the polls in about a month. He's not the only governor suddenly seen as worthy by a long stretch (Washington, Ohio, Maryland and others are seeing it), but he's doing pretty well.

Now for an interesting thought experiment. There are two military hospital ships taking up station in American cities to handle hospital cases not related to the virus: heart attacks, trauma, accidents, what ever. So if someone is taken to one, is there a bill? These ships don't have business offices, and the US Navy isn't on anyone's insurance network...

Oh, and just because. The Financial Times does a daily roundup of coronavirus cases around the world. The graphs are illuminating, if possibly disturbing.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:26 am 
Weremensh wrote:

Who would have thought? All of the film makers in the world got it wrong. What a scary place we live in when the only people making correct predictions on virus spread are the epidemiologists! *gasp*

Weremensh wrote:
Now for an interesting thought experiment. There are two military hospital ships taking up station in American cities to handle hospital cases not related to the virus: heart attacks, trauma, accidents, what ever. So if someone is taken to one, is there a bill? These ships don't have business offices, and the US Navy isn't on anyone's insurance network...

Sorry, I'm Canadian. I don't understand your question.

All the more reason for you Americans to stay inside. Even we're trying to stay inside to avoid clogging up our health care system. Stay healthy!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am 
I recommend the pasta cure.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:23 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
How about rice and lentils?

Oh, and the Italians are saying that their new case rate has finally flattened out. Good to hear.

And just one addition, without any comment: Last year's White House study on dealing with Pandemics.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:59 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I suppose it had to happen. Gin, dry vermouth, orange bitters: the Quarantini.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:57 am 
Re:Cinematic Apocalypse and why this isn't one (yet?)

The core element of a cinematic apocalypse is, that the institutions of society are no longer there. How that happened is just the flavour of that story and how realistic the path to that point is, depends on how realistic the story is.

Right now the institutions of society are in fine working conditions* even if they are doing some heavy lifting. Even where the lifting is too heavy for them, they still work and do what they can and are still our first choice as lifter.

You can think up a path from where we are right now to a cinematic apocalypse, but if that was a cinematic apocaypse, were are only at the prelude.

* dependent on which institution you look at you might say that they are in fine working conditions, like a well maintained car with plenty of gas, that speeds towards a cliff.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:36 am 
Weremensh wrote:
How about rice and lentils?

Oh, and the Italians are saying that their new case rate has finally flattened out. Good to hear.

And just one addition, without any comment: Last year's White House study on dealing with Pandemics.

I only took a glance, but that document is by the council of economic advisers. Not my first choice....

I wish more people would help out like that! I'm not quarantined, but I could still go for one of those quarantini's. Quarantinies? Quarantini? Quarantiren? What's the plural here? I must ponder this upon another quarantini....

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:31 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Do you remember Samuel Jackson recording a children's book? There's a sequel.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:54 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Well, it's official. As of today my city has had it's first death from the virus.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:02 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
My home town, a small bedroom community* in LA county recently reported two positive cases.

*Although I prefer to refer to it as an unincorporated territory of LA county ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:44 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
A candidate vaccine for the virus has passed the first test (it seems to work in mice). What I find interesting is that if it proves suitable for people then it can be shipped anywhere, to any backwater in the world, by regular post. It doesn't need refrigeration or any equipment to apply.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:41 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Coming soon to a state near you: Socialized Medicine. Or more accurately, state control of the hospitals. New York has just taken charge of coordinating the transfer of patients, equipment and staff between all of the hospitals in the state. Clearly there are a lot of back end problems to be solved involving money, but at least the hospitals in this state won't be in a bidding war for supplies and personnel with each other while the beds upstate won't sit empty while folks lie in hallways in the City.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat