Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
The threads, Your Current Annoyances and Simple Pleasures, had become a tad too big even for being Stickies. So I thought it was time to do something about it and to just combine the two into one new thread.

It is Big Annoyances since things that annoy us tend to seem bigger than they usually are and last for a long time. As for Little Pleasures, it feels like those tend to be few and far between, and last for a short amount of time. Now that is usually not true for everything but many may be better or worse.

Anyway, this thread is for your current or longstanding annoyances or pleasures. One or the other, both, or neither. I'll start it off with both.

Annoyance: A new restaurant came in about two years ago to my town, and it was a little more pricey than other places but I really liked what they had. As you can probably guess, they were closed, permanently, last time I was going to go there for lunch. It is always annoying for something you like to go out of business, but it is doubly annoying when you had just filled up a (digital) "punch card" that would give you a very nice discount off your next meal. Also the closest one that you could use that card at is about 110km (68 miles) away. Oh and it expires the 11th of next month.

Pleasure: After about seven years I finally built a new computer system. Now I can max out all of the settings in any game and it usually runs smoothly. Though I did spend more than twice as much for it as my previous system, so I would hope so. Though I'm still trying to decide if I want to get a new 4k monitor.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:41 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
There are two spots near where I live that people can't help but want to put restaurants in but tend to always go out of business pretty quickly. One of them was a place that served the most amazing breakfast that my boss would always take us to in the morning if we had work to do in the city, but we had to stop going because they'd always take far too long to bring the food so we had to stop going. They went out of business shortly after and since then about six different restaurants have opened and closed there.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:10 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Really annoyed that, of the dozen or so blueberry bushes I grew up with, only one has survived to this day. Of all the ones that died, the survivor just had to be the one the produces bitter blueberries...

Still angry at my brother-in-law who thought the blueberry bush with the sour blueberries as big as your thumb was poison ivy and cut it down.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:54 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Those aren't even remotely similar…

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:29 pm 
Little Pleasures: Locally, it is now sugar snap pea season, which coincides with the equally delicious strawberry season! I look forward to it every year!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
randomlanguage wrote:
Little Pleasures: Locally, it is now sugar snap pea season, which coincides with the equally delicious strawberry season! I look forward to it every year!

Blueberry season is in, too. They might be bitter, but the bush in question is almost twenty years old and I've been pulling berries off it by the fistful.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 am 
Kajin wrote:
randomlanguage wrote:

Blueberry season is in, too. They might be bitter, but the bush in question is almost twenty years old and I've been pulling berries off it by the fistful.

It's not quite blueberry season here yet, but almost! Black raspberries soon too. They are very seedy, but I strain them through a cheesecloth and mix the juice with yogurt.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:19 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
Annoyance: poison Ivy's got me on Prednisone for a week and i'm not sure what it's going to do to me.
Pleasure: So far the Prednisone's been a mood elevator and i've been giggling at the stupidest stuff.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:54 am 
Annoyance: I now have to drive through the worst of LA traffic every single day to get to and from work.
Plus side: My new job is at a game company and it's awesome. And there's free lunch every day!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 pm 
Pleasures: I went strawberry picking at a local farm and confirm the deliciousness.
Current Annoyances: Rain. I want to go bike riding after work, and it has been so rainy on the days when I've had time.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:38 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'm pleased that my trip to the stationary cupboard inspired such a longstanding thread.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 pm 
Pleasure: One of the Baconbits (TM) graduated kindergarten today. Too cute! Girlfriend's kid graduating from junior high this year so they had a supper and awards ceremony etc. Slightly less cute but still cool.

Annoyance: Can't anyone make a simple Android emulator for PC that doesn't take a rocket scientist to keep running perfectly?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:55 am 
Annoyance and pleasure: traveling across the country to see family

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:58 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Annoyance: my father.

Pleasure: getting to listen to my mother going off on a tirade about how much of a jackass he is.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:00 am 
New, really, really cool phone. Just about indestructible, 3800 mAh battery, and a FLIR camera, to hit the highlights.

Trouble is, I now need to spend a few days transfering all my data and info over to it and setting it up the way I like, or at least can live with.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat