Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: events post-mortems
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:30 pm 
I'm really not sure where this fits - it's not really a WIDOMSV kind of thread; it's more that I was kind of wishing there was a thread where people could rehash the high and maybe low points of events they attended. This might be particularly useful for periodic events, like cons or festivals. This way, people like me who don't often get out much could mark something down on the calendar for next year and plan my limited vacation time around it. Maybe there already is such a thread and I've just overlooked it.
Anyway, as an example, the annual Musikfest up in Bethlehem PA (~1/2 hour north of Philadelphia) is 10 days of musical stuff. Almost every style of music has someone playing it, there's crafts, tons of kid's stuff, food of all kinds (not cheap, mind you, but really tasty), and things going on all over the place. Bethlehem is a lovely old town with lots of neat buildings, and is reasonably temperate even in the heat of August. Getting around is pretty easy - park in a satellite lot and shuttle bus in. Most of the concerts are free in one of the several stages, but there are also special, ticketed concerts during the festival. This year, for instance, they had Ralph Stanley! as well as Styx, Heart, LLCoolJ, Roger Mcguinn, KC and the Sunshine Band (not to mention Gloria Gaynor and Sister Sledge), Kathy Mattea, and of course, Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams - and so many more I couldn't begin to list them all. There's classical music, polka, Indian, Indian, S.American, Slavic, you name it. The Red Elvises alone combine several genres. This year they also had a fellow juggling lots of flaming things as a street performer, and he only burned himself a few times while we were watching. That's really cool at night.
Anyway, that's the idea - anybody been to any events that they think others of us might like to go to next time around? Obviously, this shouldn't be limited to N. America, as there's a few of us who scrape out a meager existance as furriners... Links to other info sources might be useful too. Also, maybe this should go into the 'important' section, but then not many people seem to look there, so maybe it should stay in GC? Or maybe it will just gently settle down the board like a falling leaf and drift into obscurity..

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat