Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:20 pm 
AOL: Commissar+Iton
Quote:
Oh, and Imperial units are archaic, outdated, and unsuitable for any serious application. The American refusal to fully adopt the SI system is due partly to xenophobia, and mostly to bloody-mindedness.

SEE! SEE! Somebody agrees with me. and we got some footy ovals here in australia that aren't nice even sizes. The MCG is a weird one i think...

and also, What is lint? or to be more specific, The stuff you find occasionally in your belly button (eww)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:30 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: AxelFendersson
Navel lint is a blend of loose fibres from clothing (mostly underwear) with fragments of dead skin and body hair. Loose fibres from your underpants are dragged upward by friction until they reach the navel, where they are caught and accumulate.

This is why navel lint is more common among men than women or children, as they tend to have more body hair, which produces more friction and more hair to bind the lint together.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:17 am 
Um, ew. But thanks, you know what they say, curiosity made the cat nauseous.

We all know that phenylalanine is dangerous (even potentially deadly) to phenylketonurics, as stated on any can of diet soda, but have there been any cases of phenylalanine poisoning in recent history?

And do they identify phenylketonurics at birth and let parents know never to let them drink diet soda?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:32 am 
Yahoo Messenger: kirby1024
Merin Sun wrote:
Does cutting split ends on hair really make your hair grow a bit faster?

It doesn't make your hair grow faster, but what it does do is stop your hair from breaking, thus allowing to you retain the growth you already have. Split ends make hair thinner, and thinner hair is more prone to breakages. Split ends also tend to travel down the follicle to an extent, so it's best to snip it off.

So, cutting split ends doesn't increase the actual follicle growth rate, but it does assist in maintaining your hair's integrity, which is useful for growing long hair. As a note, using conditioner is also useful in this respect.

And now you know!

What? My mother is a professional hairdresser!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:18 am 
NgauNgau wrote:
Um, ew. But thanks, you know what they say, curiosity made the cat nauseous.

We all know that phenylalanine is dangerous (even potentially deadly) to phenylketonurics, as stated on any can of diet soda, but have there been any cases of phenylalanine poisoning in recent history?

And do they identify phenylketonurics at birth and let parents know never to let them drink diet soda?

Don't know of any well-publicised cases. I expect there's been some lower-level poisonings on a regular basis, however.

As for the second, yes, the Guthrie heel prick test that's usually taken a couple of days after birth is a test for phenylketonuria. I believe that it's being phased out in favour of a few other tests that scan for a larger number of genetic disorders (including phenylketonuria), however.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:37 am 
Location: We dine well here in Camelot. We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.
WHY can't we talk about D_st B_nn__s ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:30 am 
parannoyed wrote:

It's an arbitrary rule. That's pretty much it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:49 am 
Its a conspiracy by the mods to keep use from the truth! BUT NO ONE CAN STOP THE TRUTH! NOBODY CAN SILENCE TH>thwip< Oh... deary me *Passes out with a tranq dart in his neck*

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:09 pm 
AOL: Astaereth
parannoyed wrote:

Basically a "my underpants" always turns out to be an extremely random, purposeless thread--like RS, only in GC. This is bad, because GC is a place for rational discussion, not "crazy as a poop rat" discussion. And so these threads are inevitably revived every once in a while by young punks like yourself, and then are inevitably locked.

Next question.

Why don't a lot of people in the US get MLK jr. Day off work and/or school? Is this some sort of tacit disapproval of MLK Jr.'s success in getting rights for African-Americans?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:32 am 
on a side note, fo you guys get a JFK day or something?

More dangerous then getting on a plane with a kennedy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:45 am 
Malice wrote:
Why don't a lot of people in the US get MLK jr. Day off work and/or school? Is this some sort of tacit disapproval of MLK Jr.'s success in getting rights for African-Americans?

I don't think it's really about that. After all, neither do we get Lincoln's birthday, president's day or any number of other 'official' holidays off. I don't even get Labor day off, despite my constant arguments with my employer about whether Labor day is a day for no Labor or whathaveyou. Mind you, I work at a Renaissance festival, and we do a lot of buisness on the monday some call a holiday and others call Three-day-weekend-torture.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:09 pm 
Location: We dine well here in Camelot. We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.
I've been called a "young punk" Gosh I'm proud, I haven't been young for a long time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:48 pm 
sorry to sound like myself on this one but texas would revolt if you tried to change over to the metric system.

Q:why is hydrogen a better fuel sorce? it blow up right?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:04 pm 
Yes, hydrogen explodes when it is a gaseous, but so does gasoline. In fact, gasoline explodes more violently then hydrogen. The breaking of the carbon-carbon and carbon-hydrogen (yes, gasoline contains hydrogen) bonds and the eventual formation of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and water releases more energy then the breaking of the hydrogen-hydrogen bond in molecular hydrogen does.

So, since it seems that gasoline releases more energy then hydrogen, there would be no reason to switch to hydrogen, correct?

First of all, the byproducts of burning gasoline, which is what a engine does, are in order of quantity: Carbon Dioxide (poisonous, green-house gas), Carbon Monoxide (very poisonous) and Water (very little). The method that fuels cells, the proposed alternative to internal combustion engines, would use to power your car would produce one byproduct, water.

Fuel cells also have a few other advantages:
1. They produce their energy as electricity, not rotational motion.
2. They run quiet.
3. Hydrogen is the most plentiful element in the universe. Look up at the sun, a giant ball of hydrogen...

But they also have some issues:
1. Fuel cells are expensive
2. Hydrogen is a gas at normal temperature and pressure, so it has to be condensed to a liquid to be easier to work with. (Hydrogen becomes a liquid at -252.87 °C, -423.17 °F, just 20 degrees above absolute zero)
3. Despite how common it is, it is hard to isolate hydrogen, it require less energy to refine a similar amount of gasoline, and you will get the more energy out of the gasoline.

So both gasoline and hydrogen have their plusses and minusess, it's just that we're running out of gasoline...

Whoops, not exactly a short answer, but I hope it answered the question...

I could stand to see Texas succeed from the US

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:36 am 
Quote:
I could stand to see Texas succeed from the US

Is this a double bluff, or do you mean secede? Just wondering - not an official short question, or anything.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat