Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
So. For those fans of the series who are not aware, the newest Dresden Files book is out.

...I will now wait for those who were not aware to pump their fists in the air and head to the nearest bookstore and read the book.

I personally got my copy at 4:30 am at Walmart. Went there just on the off chance they had it... and they did. I'm finished with the book.

I now know....

Who killed Harry. (Who I expected)
Who the woman's voice was. (Who was who I half expected)
Who ordered the kill. (Who was the LAST person I expected)
The mythical names of all three Swords. (big names, enough so I went 'WHAT!?')
How Harry killed He Who Walks Behind the first time. (yay flashbacks! Been wanting a bit more of DuMorne's time period)
Just where Maggie, Harry's daughter, ended up. (Which made me teary-eyed)
Harry's ultimate fate. (Name of the next book says it all)

Plus myriad other things. Muahahahahaha. I shall now sit back and gloat until the rest of you are done reading, and then we can talk.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:52 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
God damn. Not a story I expected. I teared up at the exact same place and the ending actually satisfied me. Which I didn't expect. It wasn't the best I've read, but the story was cool, then ending awesome and now I have to wait another year or so for the next one.

Damn it!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Reading it now. Will be back once it's finished.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I cried in the exact same place you two did.

I was cackling with laughter at the end of the last page. I saw it coming. I knew it had to happen. It wouldn't quite be the Dresden Files without Dresden. I'm thoroughly pleased that it wasn't some complete asspull, and that how it happened actually sorta made sense once I thought about it.

I suspected who the shooter was, but I dismissed it as being entirely too obvious. Didn't see it coming.

I really really really want to know how the fight between Bob and Bob turned out.

Mortimer is badass, but I didn't know that.

Butters is badass, but we knew that.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:00 am 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Yeah, I noticed that the battle between Necro/Evil Bob and Bob happened offscreen... with him not appearing for the rest of the book. Which is rather worrisome to me.

A note: the name of the next book is Cold Days.

I knew that Dresden pretty much had to live. I figured Mab had to be up to something - the snow in May, in Chicago, was a bit of a tip off. I also suspected that Demonreach would somehow be involved, though I wasn't entirely certain how. he did slip off into the waters of Lake Michigan, after all.

Heh. My apartmentmate... flatmate? roommate? Read it right after I was done with it (he'd just woken up). When I got back from picking up Catherine (fun, but really darn hard game), and he finished reading it, we probably say and talked about various points throughout the book for the better part of an hour. He also got teary-eyed same part that we did.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:39 am 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
I knew Dresden's body was still alive. the way they talked around it confirmed it for me. The fact that Demonreach was keeping his body alive was a cool addition. And Harry's realization that their relationship is . . . different than he expected was a nice touch.

The Molly parts were fantastic. Taking Harry out for that time allowed people to really come into their own, change and become more realized, if darker. It was such a slap in the face to read about Harry remembering how he planned his death. Especially the unconscious mirroring of the comment he made to Molly. Ouch.

Butters . . . damn. The whole t-rex thing was awesome enough but that dude is smooth. Smart as all hell, quipping in the face of death and a magical mechanical wonder. Damn!

it was also cool to see the ghost side of the universe expanded upon.

The Bob/Evil Bob fight being left unresolved left me in the same place it did you guys. That bodes ill.

(Catherine? I've heard the plot is nowhere near as engrossing as P4, and that the puzzles are hard without being fun.)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:07 pm 
I personally enjoy the puzzles. I think the complaints about the puzzles come from those who are used to the more recent games, where in general it's all nice and easy and they hand hold you. The puzzles in Catherine really remind me of old Nintendo-hard games, that you'll sit and swear at but by gum you'll beat it. The plot can't hold a candle to Persona 4, but then again... this is Persona 4 we're talking about. Catherine is a short game - you can probably play through it in a week or so. In fact, the game takes place over a week. The plot itself is simple, but pretty effective. You have a guy who's been going out with Katherine for quite some time, and she's started dropping hints at marriage. He proceeds to get dead drunk, apparently has a one night stand with another young woman named Catherine. Then chaos ensues. Animation is probably the best I've seen out of an Atlus game - if they use the same amount of work with Persona 5, I'll be a happy camper. Plus they got an animation studio to also do some of the cutscenes, which also turned out quite well. Possibly most important for me... the game actually has very good English voice acting, which I just don't get to see that often.

My personal recommendation is, due to the short length, Catherine would make a great rental game to play over the span of a week or so. I had some trade-ins with GameStop, so I didn't have to pay anywhere near full price.

---

I did note it was interesting how Uriel was angry and a bit frightened when Dresden nicknamed him as 'Uri'. That said, Uriel was quite correct when he said the part Dresden left out was important - 'el', if I remember correctly, means 'God' or 'of God'. I was also amused as hell how Murphy's father flamboozled Dresden without Uriel even knowing.

Demonreach proxying itself through Eternal Silence was interesting. That whole conversation of Dresden with Leanansidhe was also curious, especially when Dresden asked who killed him and she was stuck searching for how to answer him. Heck, a lot of the conversations early in the book take on a new spin when you realize that Dresden is, in fact, alive.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:25 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Dresden wrote:
Well aren't we Mr. Sunshine today?

I'm actually kind of glad we got to see some of Harry's backstory. I was also completely thrown for a loop when we figured out what Molly had done to Harry. On his own request, even. That was freaking insane.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:33 am 
And yet, as can be expected of Butcher, does at least make sense.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:09 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Hey, Ruan! You said you were waiting to read Ghost Story to see if it gave you any new ideas before restarting APOTD. Did it give you any worthy of note?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:50 am 
Some. Still in the process of statting out NPCs and whatnot though. Will be a bit yet.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat