Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: The Birds
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:53 am 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
I really want to get a pet of my own. If I didn't live in the middle of town I'd like to get a cat, but I can't bring myself to force a cat to be an "indoors cat." So I've just recently thought about getting a Budgie or some other personable bird. I know that there are folks here who could give me some good advice and I'd like to know what you have to say about it.

And yes, this is an animal that I want to have for a long time and put in the effort to build a real relationship.

Post subject: Re: The Birds
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:43 am 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
My parents used to have a Senegal parrot. They're small, about the size of a cockatiel, and incredibly smart and friendly. Ours would climb down the side of his cage, jump from the seed tray to the ground, and walk around the house looking for Mom and Dad if they'd left him out and he wanted attention. If they were sitting in their chairs, he'd waddle over to Mom, hop up on her shoe, and climb her leg so he could go sit on her shoulder. A few caveats though... they need a bigger cage that a cockatiel would, and they're kind of territorial. They have their few specific humans that they bond with, and everyone else better watch out. Jacques HATED me, we think because I would house sit when they were out of town so he associated me with them being gone, and once when my birthmom and half-siblings were visiting he bit my then four-year-old half-brother next to his eye. But with his people he was VERY sweet.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:21 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
OhmygodIwantone

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:17 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I'm not sure why many people think that cats have to go outside.

We had one who was hit right in front of our house. One that sneaked past us at night. Never saw her again. Let two out in the daytime. They never came back.

The four (used to be five, but he died in October) are all from a stray (named NoName) that had kittens in our garage. They are afraid of anything that is 'outside'. They are perfectly happy inside.. and neurotic. Of course all cats are neurotic, whether they go outside or not in my experience.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:12 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
Zillatain wrote:
They are perfectly happy inside.. and necrotic.

I find it hard to believe they could be both of these things. You should have that looked at. (not for the weak of stomach)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:39 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
Please please please please don't get a parrot. Okay maybe a budgie, but nothing bigger.

Parrots are popular because they are smart, conversational and attractive. they are also generally nomadic, and used to moving around a lot. The smartness is also a curse, because unless you can give them space, company and regular companionship, they go mental due to mind numbing boredom. This can lead to self destructive behaviour and screaming. These problems aren't so big with budgies, which aren't as smart as other parrots and are easy to keep as pairs. They've also been extensively bred to be amenable to domestic life. And bred budgies don't have the problems associated with wildlife trafficing.

Do you have a garden? Even a small one? Get a small dog. Dogs are awesome.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:50 pm 
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
We have a dog actually, she just had two puppies

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:18 pm 
Rats!

Rats. Seriously, rats. Nothing against birds, of course. Birds are quite lovable. But they also need a LOT of clean up, and as SH said they are very picky with their human affection. Also, they are loud and can be cranky.

Rats on the other hand are the perfect pet for someone who was thinking of cats but had to opt out. Mr. W and I are allergic to cats, though we loves them so. And we despaired. Then we saw...the VIDEOS.

Absolutely

Adorable

Ratties

Having

Fun

AAnd now we have rats :)

Rats are affectionate, can use litter boxes, and clean themselves frequently throughout the day. They like to play with each other and with you. They will chase string, ribbons and balls, and will hunt insects. They like to get into tight places, but they aren't like other small mammals in that they do in fact come back, and you can train them to respond to their names. Girls play more, but boys are more affectionate.

There are rat breeders around the country who breed for color, personality and health. Pet store rats last about 1-1/2 to 2 years. Breeder rats tend to live average about 3 years of life. Some live even longer. I'd totally recommend them to cat lovers who can't do cats. Google 'em and do some research.

EDIT to add: Also, rats are quite good with dogs and vice versa if you introduce them correctly :) The only dogs I'd not have around rats are terrier breeds.

Last edited by weatherwax on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:28 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Grillick wrote:
Zillatain wrote:
I find it hard to believe they could be both of these things. You should have that looked at. (not for the weak of stomach)
Wow, I can't seem to pick the correct word anymore. Twice even...

Relying on the spell-check too much. And not paying attention.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:30 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
Funky Honky wrote:

Part of me is "get your dog fixed!" and part of me is "puppies are awesome!"

I really wish I could have a pet, but I move too much at the moment. One day I'll have a dog, but for now I'll just have to contend myself feeding the wild parrots.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 am 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Zillatain wrote:
Grillick wrote:
Zillatain wrote:
Wow, I can't seem to pick the correct word anymore. Twice even...

Relying on the spell-check too much. And not paying attention.

Well, these are Zill's cats, who knows where they're from or how they've been modified.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:31 pm 
angrysunbird wrote:
Funky Honky wrote:

Part of me is "get your dog fixed!" and part of me is "puppies are awesome!"

I really wish I could have a pet, but I move too much at the moment. One day I'll have a dog, but for now I'll just have to contend myself feeding the wild parrots.

First off she isn't "my" dog, so I really don't have any say in the matter. Secondly she's a pure bred boxer, and the neighbors also happen to have a pure bred boxer male, so I don't see her getting fixed any time in the near future.
weatherwax wrote:
Rats!

Rats. Seriously, rats. Nothing against birds, of course. Birds are quite lovable. But they also need a LOT of clean up, and as SH said they are very picky with their human affection. Also, they are loud and can be cranky.

Rats on the other hand are the perfect pet for someone who was thinking of cats but had to opt out. Mr. W and I are allergic to cats, though we loves them so. And we despaired. Then we saw...the VIDEOS.

Absolutely

Adorable

Ratties

Having

Fun

AAnd now we have rats :)

Rats are affectionate, can use litter boxes, and clean themselves frequently throughout the day. They like to play with each other and with you. They will chase string, ribbons and balls, and will hunt insects. They like to get into tight places, but they aren't like other small mammals in that they do in fact come back, and you can train them to respond to their names. Girls play more, but boys are more affectionate.

There are rat breeders around the country who breed for color, personality and health. Pet store rats last about 1-1/2 to 2 years. Breeder rats tend to live average about 3 years of life. Some live even longer. I'd totally recommend them to cat lovers who can't do cats. Google 'em and do some research.

EDIT to add: Also, rats are quite good with dogs and vice versa if you introduce them correctly :) The only dogs I'd not have around rats are terrier breeds.

I had some friends in college who had rats and I really enjoyed them. I remember I'd have one just hang out inside my hoodie while I was playing video games. Not too sure how crazy my roommate would be about them, but I'll definitely keep them in mind.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:44 pm 
I have 2 small parrots, one of which went mental and plucks herself bald even though she has a mate and gets let out of her cage for several hours each day. She had a neurotic personality to begin with, and now she's got the parrot equivalent of OCD. Some parrots just don't adapt well to living in captivity at all. And the other one? I suppose he's well-adjusted by parrot standards, except I have to keep his wings clipped otherwise his ego goes through the stratosphere and he starts bullying the neurotic one. (It doesn't even slow him down that much. He builds up Incredible Hulk-like leaping abilities to compensate for impaired flight).

Parrots are a huge commitment even in the best of circumstances, you can't leave them in a cage while you go to work. Either you have someone who can supervise them all day while they fly around your house, or you have two parrots to keep each other company and you dedicate an entire parrot-proofed room to them as an aviary. Plus they crap on everything and can be randomly bitey. Imagine the psyche of a two year old child in a small bird's brain. That's what you're dealing with. And medium-to-large parrots can live anywhere from 30 to 80 years. That said, if you're prepared to turn your life upside down for them, the bastards are a lot of fun.

Smaller birds like budgies or cockatiels are less demanding on your time and attention, but they should still be let out of their cage for a few hours daily, and be given a rich and varied diet. Parrots do NOT just eat seeds - they need a lot of fresh fruit and veg, which means $$$. And you are looking at a lifespan of at least 10 years. They also don't tend to be as cuddly once they reach adulthood (although there are exceptions), but they will hang out on your shoulder and eat from your hands, and can be taught to mimic speech. Though don't ask me about that, I've never once successfully trained a parrot to say anything.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:16 am 
Gladly, a full sized parrot isn't really in the cards. One recent development is to adopt an older cat who's used to being indoors. This isn't a decision I plan on taking lightly.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:37 pm 
weatherwax wrote:
Rats!

Plus other rodents, ferrets, or maybe rabbits are all nice indoor pets you can build some relationship with. There are lots of birds you can get that aren't parrots, too, although I don't know if they're much friendlier than reptiles and fish.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat