Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:19 pm 
Was it really 22 years ago that I was introduced to sluggy by the then-girlfriend in St Andrews University archaeology department? Apparently so.

Bloody hell. I've been reading this for half my life?

Anyhow, wanted to make an introduction so I can make some comments on the thees and thous of the period language.

specifically, dont even bother. the language then would not be thees and thous, - y bóc-hord beinnan an holtwudu, áfunden þá a læringmæden - the book-hoard found in a forest glade by a literate woman - of the current strips would be so utterly incomprehensible to modern english speakers as to be almost impossible to convey in written form. Thees and thous are a language form that comes after the Great Vowel Shift into Early Modern - but that is close to 3/4 of a millennium after the period for this current strip's setting.

hope I can get ok'd to write a bit more of that in the appropriate thread.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 pm 
thank you for joining and shushing the confidently wrong language pedants! Hope you stick around for the other more enjoyable nonsense :D

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:14 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Greetings. And don't worry; there are much worse ways to waste half your life. Take my word for it; experimental data on this one is hideously expensive in human terms.

Anyway, grab a seat and a drink; we'll be watching the next linguistic shift soon as part of the floor show. The bookies will, of course, be taking bets on whether it will be vowels, consonants, or punctuation that will primarily be affected this time. Bets on typographic symbols and digits will be accepted, but please keep that quiet. The old line linguists would get perturbed.

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions