Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:07 am 
The one that looks like it's loading but it's really an animation. I want to show it to someone as an example of a surprise animation in a webcomic.

Also, is there really no way to search by date or even see the date of the comic you're looking at now? And why can't I find this strip on Niftysearch? I'm almost positive it had "white walls" and "museum" in it.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:51 pm 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
VVK wrote:
(...)

Also, is there really no way to search by date or even see the date of the comic you're looking at now? And why can't I find this strip on Niftysearch? I'm almost positive it had "white walls" and "museum" in it.

Can't answer your first question, but if you mouse over "archives", there is a calendar option that appears:
https://archives.sluggy.com/calendar.php

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:27 pm 
VVK wrote:
The one that looks like it's loading but it's really an animation. I want to show it to someone as an example of a surprise animation in a webcomic.

VVK, you are correct. That strip did have "white walls" and "museum" in it. Had you searched for it before I started going back through to correct the transcript glitch (and my typos, while I'm at it), you would have found it through NiftySearch. However, the strip was animated by Adobe Flash, which is no longer supported. As a result the content there is now the following "Update for Jan. 2021: With Adobe Flash Player discontinued, the nifty content that was here is sadly unavailable." As such, that is what is now transcribed. (As keeper of the transcripts, I can see older versions of the transcripts and can confirm you would have found it with your search terms, had the content still been available).

I found it by searching for "Yount" and then scrolled through the results until I found a 04/01 comic.

If you click on the URL, note that 060401 is in little tiny blue font right under "unavailable". That is the date of the comic (year month day), and you can find the date in the same place (lower right corner) of each comic. However, you are correct, there is no way to search for a comic by date. I only transcribe, I did not code the actual transcriber and search engine. In retrospect we should have added the comic date to the transcripts, but it's taken me nearly a year to get this far through the transcripts to fix the glitch, and I'm only at the end of 2014. I am so not doing that again... Sorry.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:28 pm 
That's too bad. But when I said "search by date," I was really talking about the archives, so at least that option does actually exist.

Funny how that content became unavailable because it used the outdated technology of Flash, whereas I just made a surprise animation in my own fan webcomic by using the still functioning technology of... animated gifs.

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:03 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
swmartian wrote:
(...)
In retrospect we should have added the comic date to the transcripts, but it's taken me nearly a year to get this far through the transcripts to fix the glitch, and I'm only at the end of 2014. I am so not doing that again... Sorry.

Naaah, it's fine. Especially as the option already exists for the archive.

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:42 pm 
VVK wrote:
That's too bad. But when I said "search by date," I was really talking about the archives, so at least that option does actually exist.
GUIGUI wrote:
swmartian wrote:
(...)
In retrospect we should have added the comic date to the transcripts, but it's taken me nearly a year to get this far through the transcripts to fix the glitch, and I'm only at the end of 2014. I am so not doing that again... Sorry.

Naaah, it's fine. Especially as the option already exists for the archive.

Oh, thank the gods! And thank you, GUIGUI - holder of all Sluggy knowledge! :kiki:

VVK wrote:
Funny how that content became unavailable because it used the outdated technology of Flash, whereas I just made a surprise animation in my own fan webcomic by using the still functioning technology of... animated gifs.

Yeah, thank heavens all of the animated anniversary comics have been animated gifs. Interesting that they cannot be resized to fit the new archives, though. I do recall a fairly elaborate animated strip based on the Harry Potter strips that is now lost as well. Funny how some tools bust out and then fizzle so quickly.

It's also been interesting going through the archives thinking about technology. Back in the beginning, Zoë can be seen talking to her mom on the old corded phones, and within the lifetime of the comic, we became uncorded only to be attached to our phones/devices more than ever. Funny how that works.

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:55 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Yeah, thank heavens all of the animated anniversary comics have been animated gifs. Interesting that they cannot be resized to fit the new archives, though.

Why not? Run them through here, for example?

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:30 pm 
VVK wrote:
swmartian wrote:
Yeah, thank heavens all of the animated anniversary comics have been animated gifs. Interesting that they cannot be resized to fit the new archives, though.

Well, again, I'm only the transcriber. I think his web support - the one that set up the 'new' archives, etc. - bugged out a long time ago.

But you could post that link under "Reactions" --> "Report a Conversion-Error Comic Here!" and maybe Pete'll get around to resizing them when he gets everything else checked off on his "To Do" list.

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:25 pm 
swmartian wrote:
maybe Pete'll get around to resizing them when he gets everything else checked off on his "To Do" list.

Looks like we’ve got a comedian over here! Look out, Pete! A challenger has stepped forward!

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:59 pm 
swmartian wrote:
VVK wrote:
swmartian wrote:

Well, again, I'm only the transcriber. I think his web support - the one that set up the 'new' archives, etc. - bugged out a long time ago.

But you could post that link under "Reactions" --> "Report a Conversion-Error Comic Here!" and maybe Pete'll get around to resizing them when he gets everything else checked off on his "To Do" list.

Pete has mentioned before that he has bigger files for the gif already but somehow they run too fast or something. He also had bigger files for the "Meanwhile in X" comics pages, but again, it would take time for him to get them back and replace the comics.

Last edited by GUIGUI on Fri May 05, 2023 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:19 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
swmartian wrote:
maybe Pete'll get around to resizing them when he gets everything else checked off on his "To Do" list.

Looks like we’ve got a comedian over here! Look out, Pete! A challenger has stepped forward!

Not a comedian. More like a smart-ass. :bunbun:

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 3:29 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
GUIGUI wrote:
Pete has mentioned before that he has bigger files for the gif already but somehow they run too fast or something. He also had bigger files for the "Meanwhile in X" comics pages, but again, it would take time for him to get them back and replace the comics.
To keep the quality in line with what is on the site now, he basically has to remake the animation. The originals were made the size he needed at the time since that was the only place you would see them. Didn't have a reason to make them bigger.

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:42 am 
Aren't the "Meanwhile" strips up either? Either way, it shows it's been ages since my last archive binge. Back in the day, I even wrote a set of questions on Sluggy for a relatively high-level competition on comics knowledge (example: "There's one chapter that refers to many songs by title, but refrains from quoting their lyrics (in spite of the lyrics fitting the story), presumably due to copyright reasons. Which song's lyrics are nevertheless quoted in the chapter in their entirety?"), but I don't think I'm up to speed any more.

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:08 pm 
They are all in, but in smaller size than the rest of the current comics. Finding back the existing bigger size of the comic might take time and Pete doesn't really have that.

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:36 am 
swmartian wrote:
Yeah, thank heavens all of the animated anniversary comics have been animated gifs.

One of them was a Flash animation that has since been lost to time. Fortunately Pete had a version with only still images to replace it with.

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?book=9#2002-08-25

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat