Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:49 am 
Good summary. I always cringe when I hear the "maybe Gwynn is just secretly in love with Zoe" theory as that discounts a few decades worth of carefully choreographed relationship developments. Pete is amazing at that.

I pointed out above that Gwynn's personality seems to be partially plot driven...and we all know how much effort Pete puts into his plots! It speaks to how much Pete has planned out the different aspects of Gwynn, since she's entangled with most aspects of it.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:22 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I like Gwynn. I understand why others might not though. If she were just another Zoe it would be boring right? There needs to be some friction in the group dynamic to keep things interesting.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:21 am 
Spirantz wrote:
Good summary. I always cringe when I hear the "maybe Gwynn is just secretly in love with Zoe" theory as that discounts a few decades worth of carefully choreographed relationship developments.

Well I’ve seen it specc’d before and nobody attempted to debunk it as far as I’m aware, so I figured I’d leave that option on the table. shrug

Even if you disagree, there’s no denying that - as I said above - Gwynn at least platonically cares a lot about Zoe, so the rest of my comment still stands. I mean she created a mind monument to her friends with her in the center after all. In this very chapter.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:21 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
I don't think it has to be read that way, but if it turns out that way, I won't be surprised by it either. In my opinion, her kinship with Zoe is similar to the one Torg has with Riff, and I am not too keen on unrequited love development, even if it makes for big drama. Like we saw in the last strip I posted in my previous reply, she consider the gang family.

But I'll be fine either ways. It's a development that would just as well be fitting of what we know of the character.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:45 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Well I’ve seen it specc’d before and nobody attempted to debunk it as far as I’m aware, so I figured I’d leave that option on the table. shrug

Even if you disagree, there’s no denying that - as I said above - Gwynn at least platonically cares a lot about Zoe, so the rest of my comment still stands. I mean she created a mind monument to her friends with her in the center after all. In this very chapter.

People are free to ship who they want and it’s exhausting and silly trying to ‘disprove’ other people’s feelings. I posted my thoughts earlier in the thread. Tl;dr Sluggy has never been the type of strip to hook everyone up and have triangles. It’s more story and silly-based. I like platonic love.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:38 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Spirantz wrote:
(...)
Tl;dr Sluggy has never been the type of strip to hook everyone up and have triangles. It’s more story and silly-based. I like platonic love.

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

(just teasing yah)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:33 pm 
I forgot any of those existed. Lol.

Guess I’m looking forward to the steamy Gwynn x Zoe scene.

It’s not so bad saying that out loud, actually. :sam:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:44 am 
I also appreciate GUIGUI's summary.
GUIGUI wrote:

It's interesting that the Captain Botanical arc is brought up, as it actually has Gwynn showcasing her most forward thinking and actual care for consequences in the grand schemes of things.

But more significantly, it also shows her actual progress on how she sees Torg. Her dislike for him stems from thinking that he was an asshole and a jerk, so of course she couldn't stand him, especially as no one want their friend dating an asshole ever, so wanting to end this relationship, regardless of how you feel about that friend, is only natural. But she has come to see other aspects of him and learn to appreciate him better, especially during this arc.
Mind you, it's not a straight line, as it's more often two steps forward and one step back.

Agreed. I liked that arc also because we learned more about Gwynn's concerns and motivations. Whatever we think of those motivations, we learn more about the background and reasoning.

VoxAdActa wrote:
I kind of lost most of my respect for Gwynn during the Evil Plant Zombies arc, when we find out that she's a jerk to Torg all the time, and is a jerk about Torg to Zoe, because she's just so jealous that Torg is generally a good, happy person.

Like, that's some seriously messed-up stuff. Torg has saved the world, and your rear-end, multiple times over decades and you're still mean to him because... he's nice? I don't even know what mental illness that would fall under.

For most of those world saving times, though, Gwynn hasn't been there, or has had an outside/ bit part in the proceedings. There have been times when Torg's actions, if we didn't know the truth and have insight into his motivation, could seem or feel jerky. After Gwynn thought that Zoe had died in Oasis' fire, Torg left her to mourn her best friend (and Riff) alone.
Torg's actions have seemed irrational or nonsensical to others around him as well. The Black-ops elves, for example, we're frightened about his seeming shifts from "strategic genius" to "idiot." We have insight that the characters do not have. But after the Cappy-Bo arc, Gwynn and Torg both have more insight into each other.

(I apologize, I don't have time to look up the strips I referenced right now...)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:19 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
(just teasing yah)

I just realized those are all from the late 90's. So...I can still hold to my claim, unless you can get a good sample from the later years ;)

Still. The idea seemed to pickup a few more awkward gawkers. :sam: :torg: :riff:
They'd hate to be disappointed.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:32 pm 
As I was pointing out in the reaction thread, Gwynn is basically the first one to take into consideration that Riff just lost his father. It's the kind of down-to-earth attitude that she has that make her more aware of those kind of things. In the end, she does care.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat