Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:11 pm 
My spec that I referred to today in the reactions thread:

We have the Mummy Back just in time for Christmas! ObRef https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=9#1998-12-19

And it's a woman mummy this time. Did :kzk: get a sex change? Did the immortal King spend too much time in :gwynn: head? Is this another character from the past or from timeless space? Stay tuned next week to find out if the kids force Pete to write a Christmas story.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:42 pm 
Not sure whether this means anything yet, but this comic appears to be the first time we see the "B" symbol. Although Bun-Bun, er I mean Sluggy, is wearing it, it is interesting that this comic is also our first view of Dunuloa....

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:29 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Not sure whether this means anything yet, but this comic appears to be the first time we see the "B" symbol. Although Bun-Bun, er I mean Sluggy, is wearing it, it is interesting that this comic is also our first view of Dunuloa....

Maybe someone who was a disciple to the God of Power and got annoying enough about it to receive a book ban.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:24 am 
If that's Sluggy's symbol, the mummy may just stop attacking on seeing Bun-Bun.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:25 am 
swmartian wrote:

That'll be an interesting introduction! Either Mohkadun god related, or bunbun related! I wonder if Bunbun will remember them....

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:58 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
If that's Sluggy's symbol, the mummy may just stop attacking on seeing Bun-Bun.

It does not appear to be Sluggy's symbol... Sluggy's symbol is seen here and here. Sluggy is wearing the blanket in Dunuloa's lab. I am thinking that the symbol has more to do with her than with him. But I haven't found anything further.... Yet....

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:10 pm 
Yeah. Seems you're right about it not being his symbol, but not so much about it being a blanket from Dunuloa's lab. Seems more like a cape to me and if you look several strips past the linked one, he still has it on. Considering he leaves wearing it, he presumably had it on before he came in (not guaranteed with Bun-Bun).

Of course on closer inspection it looks like the symbol is probably not a "B" at all but two triangles, possibly representing the two pyramids, side by side. What does it mean? Well, if Bun-Bun uses it, I suppose for him it means he's an equal opportunity ass-kicker, god and mortal alike.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:33 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Yeah. Seems you're right about it not being his symbol, but not so much about it being a blanket from Dunuloa's lab. Seems more like a cape to me and if you look several strips past the linked one, he still has it on. Considering he leaves wearing it, he presumably had it on before he came in (not guaranteed with Bun-Bun).

Of course on closer inspection it looks like the symbol is probably not a "B" at all but two triangles, possibly representing the two pyramids, side by side. What does it mean? Well, if Bun-Bun uses it, I suppose for him it means he's an equal opportunity ass-kicker, god and mortal alike.

If the diamond version of the pyramid was intended to be gods supporting/serving mankind, and the hourglass setup was gods are above you then the most obvious interpretation would be mortals and gods working hand in hand as partners.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 am 
Sure. But that doesn't sound like a very Bun-Bun interpretation.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:15 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Okay my money is this is the Queen. Second guess is it's Gwynn projecting her conscience and being bad at it.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:26 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
The queen was killed and for what we know might have reincarnated in Gwynn. So, I don't think that's it.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:55 am 
There were multiple queens. Regardless, I'm not sure why a queen of Mohkadun would be speaking Latin.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:56 pm 
swmartian wrote:

I have not yet seen the symbol anywhere else - and no one else has reported a sighting. I find it rather odd that Bun-Bun | Sluggy does not recognize it - or perhaps he has not yet had a chance to say so?

So far, I would give two rather weak guesses:
1. Sluggy was wearing the blanket in Dunuloa's lab, so does it have anything to do with Dunuloa? The main argument against her being a source is the heart symbol that goes along with the "B". I do not see the connection between her and Farahn other than she hates him for killing her mother and brother; hardly meritorious of a heart. On the other hand, the last few panels of this comic resemble the mummy in today's comic. Additional arguments are B is for Bast and Basphomy. Why not also a mummy that would put fear in men? But the heart throws a wrench in this possibility....?

2. Farahn was king - so maybe the B on Sluggy's blanket was a "royal" symbol of Farahn (though odd that we did not see it anywhere else...). It would be like Sluggy to grab a blanket that did not belong to him, but did appeal to him. Then, as Lord Golbez points out, Farahn had other wives. Wives that were jealous of Siphy - and therefore of Gwynn. They wore similar headdresses, when they were alive (or first undead), but with a different symbol. It would be like Farahn to imprison them as undead with him and consider it "love". Perhaps one heart is wife #1 - possibly even Siphy herself? Regardless, this possibility also fits "old flame"... However, as Lord Golbez also points out - why would it speak in Latin rather than Mokhadunese? If I recall the timeline correctly, Mokhadun would have existed and died before Latin was a language...

So I still got nothing...

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:37 am 
swmartian wrote:
swmartian wrote:
If I recall the timeline correctly, Mokhadun would have existed and died before Latin was a language...

So I still got nothing...

Might be the last time it was out and about for a significant amount of time, or possibly whatever it was got bound into the book when Latin was the dominant language.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:40 am 
And... ...back to Dunuloa's influence...

...there is this comic.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat