Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:13 am 
So today's strip, and a comment in the reactions by Biscuit got me thinking, so I'm reposting my thinking here with some additions that might qualify as spec.

Biscuit had said:
Biscuit wrote:
Also ... 'The Bug, the Witch, and the Robot'. Is Riff's idea to make big nanobots the origin story of the Mark I???

Τhe reference in today's comic reminds me of how Schlock had Shankraft build larger nanobots (source: https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=62#2011-01-19) in order to master the process of turning the DFA into a larger-scale DFA cannon (source: https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=62#2011-02-02).

The events in today's comic are way before all those shenanigans, but to elaborate on Biscuit's post, perhaps Riff's project of making big nanobots was not only the origin story of the Mark I, but also the idea that was later copied by Schlock to weaponise the DFA.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:17 am 
The upcoming comics are effectively gonna be a recap of the ENTIRE comic from KZK/Farahn's perspective. Which is wild enough, but once we get to the Mohkadun chapter things are gonna get really weird

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:16 pm 
Yeah, I have a lot of questions about what Farhan was doing while K'Z'K escaped to possess Gwynn's body, then returned as a fragment to gradually take over her mind again. He must have been able to see all that happening.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:39 am 
I'm guessing Farahn wasn't doing an awful lot in that time. In the first place, given that the bug was away from the book, whatever power he had over the bug would be gone. The only way I could imagine he would even know what the bug was up to at all would be through his connection to Gwynn, but that seemed to be much more limited in the early days, so who really knows what he knew. I suppose we could be about to find out if Pete's going to go through all those events, but I think it's also possible we'll just go as far as K'Z'K's first appearance.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:43 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
I'm guessing Farahn wasn't doing an awful lot in that time. In the first place, given that the bug was away from the book, whatever power he had over the bug would be gone. The only way I could imagine he would even know what the bug was up to at all would be through his connection to Gwynn, but that seemed to be much more limited in the early days, so who really knows what he knew. I suppose we could be about to find out if Pete's going to go through all those events, but I think it's also possible we'll just go as far as K'Z'K's first appearance.

In The Bug, the Witch, and the Robot we see Gwynn (under K'Z'K fragment control) wielding magical powers. In the current storyline, it seems like Farahn still largely controls the Book's magic and grants it as he pleases. The Bug does not have control over those spells; he can only manipulate others into using them to his ends.

I suppose it's possible that he also manipulated Farahn into granting him that power as well, until Gwynn cast him out. I don't think we really see the Book behaving as its own sentient entity until after BWR is over.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:48 pm 
And after BWR, we start to get our earliest look at Farahn's metal man guise, where he claims to be Gwynn's protector and such, which we wrote off as a personification of the book itself alll the way up until Mohkadun. Gwynn's never been completely forthcoming about her situation outside of what has been depicted, so who knows what other conversations she may have had with Farahn prior to the time slingshot.

However I do think this concept was fleshed out way back during the DoP invasion, where Dimension of Lame Gwynn is known as "Gwynn of the Book" and we see near the end that she is indeed being written on, the same exact way Farahn writes on the other women he's imprisoned. Which suggests there might be a Lame KZK out there...but that's beside the point.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:03 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Which suggests there might be a Lame KZK out there...but that's beside the point.

I think it's been implied that there is only ONE K'Z'K. Although he acts through many agents such as Deadels, and Aylee's species.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:02 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
And after BWR, we start to get our earliest look at Farahn's metal man guise, where he claims to be Gwynn's protector and such, which we wrote off as a personification of the book itself alll the way up until Mohkadun. Gwynn's never been completely forthcoming about her situation outside of what has been depicted, so who knows what other conversations she may have had with Farahn prior to the time slingshot.

However I do think this concept was fleshed out way back during the DoP invasion, where Dimension of Lame Gwynn is known as "Gwynn of the Book" and we see near the end that she is indeed being written on, the same exact way Farahn writes on the other women he's imprisoned. Which suggests there might be a Lame KZK out there...but that's beside the point.

Yup, first time we saw Farahn as the metal man was in the Kesandru's Well storyline.

Before that I don't think we had any direct indication of Farahn (or "the Book") interacting directly with Gwynn. Up to that point, we'd always assumed it was all K'Z'K.

Then yeah, the next elaboration on this was the DoL Gwynn being merged with the Book in her dimension.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:49 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
A lot of people early on thought Farahn was Kron because of the birds in his first appearance.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:53 am 
sycasey wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:

In The Bug, the Witch, and the Robot we see Gwynn (under K'Z'K fragment control) wielding magical powers. In the current storyline, it seems like Farahn still largely controls the Book's magic and grants it as he pleases. The Bug does not have control over those spells; he can only manipulate others into using them to his ends.

I suppose it's possible that he also manipulated Farahn into granting him that power as well, until Gwynn cast him out. I don't think we really see the Book behaving as its own sentient entity until after BWR is over.

Allie didn't need Farahn to wield magic. She was already skilled at it and laughed off Farahn's attempt to win favor by offering her magic. My point? Farahn is not the only way to access the book's magic, just a shortcut for those lacking in experience. Does Gwynn qualify as inexperienced in magic? Surely. But does Gwynn possessed by K'Z'K qualify as inexperienced in magic? Not so clear. I would guess no.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:55 am 
Dodger77 wrote:
A lot of people early on thought Farahn was Kron because of the birds in his first appearance.

That also makes me wonder if Farahn was ONLY able to communicate so clearly with Gwynn because of them being in the Never (an environment where spirits become solid). He may have been blocked from doing so before but took his opportunity there.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:51 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
sycasey wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:

Allie didn't need Farahn to wield magic. She was already skilled at it and laughed off Farahn's attempt to win favor by offering her magic. My point? Farahn is not the only way to access the book's magic, just a shortcut for those lacking in experience. Does Gwynn qualify as inexperienced in magic? Surely. But does Gwynn possessed by K'Z'K qualify as inexperienced in magic? Not so clear. I would guess no.

That's true, so I guess experienced magicians who know how to use the spells could do so on their own. It's just that the other Book owners after Allie didn't really know. And while K'Z'K is imprisoned inside the Book he can't do anything either. He probably had to trick Gwynn into releasing him.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:44 pm 
sycasey wrote:
Dodger77 wrote:

That also makes me wonder if Farahn was ONLY able to communicate so clearly with Gwynn because of them being in the Never (an environment where spirits become solid). He may have been blocked from doing so before but took his opportunity there.

That's a good point. Farahn could certainly hear Gwynn, since he mentioned her asking him to protect Zoe (though perhaps she did so subconsciously?).

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:32 pm 
Oh yeah the Never! Wasn't there a joke about KZK dating Rithuly shortly before the events of Mohkadun? Gotta wonder if he noticed where he was...

Dodger77 wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Which suggests there might be a Lame KZK out there...but that's beside the point.

I think it's been implied that there is only ONE K'Z'K. Although he acts through many agents such as Deadels, and Aylee's species.

I meant more in the sense of other dimensions with near-identical histories to the DoN. Although I suppose it's totally possible for history to look roughly the same without invoking KZK shenanigans.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:47 am 
I'll do a long-duration spec here.

I think the fact that the Bug seems to now want to either get rid of, or get vengeance on, Farahan is what is going to, at the end of the story, save humankind. Farahan has managed to distract Poopy Pants from his reason for existing so his world-ending plans will derail.

The fact those two will be working at cross purposes will be the salvation of this spark.

Or the 'Stay good Pete, stay good!' entreaties fall on deaf ears and Pete lets the Bug snuff out our spark. *shrug*

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat