Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:37 am 
Honestly, not sure Farahn even has power to grant an ability that lasts when separated from the book. I was.under the impression that the only real power Farahn has to grant is access.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:21 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Honestly, not sure Farahn even has power to grant an ability that lasts when separated from the book. I was.under the impression that the only real power Farahn has to grant is access.

I think this discussion is hitting the question that Pete wants to tackle next right on the head. Gwynn said her power was gone, or so she thought, after Farahn shut her off. But is it?

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=73#2021-08-10

Farahn seems to have cut off her access to the Book by turning the pages blank... But does Gwynn have an inherent ability to use magic? I'm guessing yes.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:10 pm 
ong wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:

I think this discussion is hitting the question that Pete wants to tackle next right on the head. Gwynn said her power was gone, or so she thought, after Farahn shut her off. But is it?

Farahn seems to have cut off her access to the Book by turning the pages blank... But does Gwynn have an inherent ability to use magic? I'm guessing yes.

I think so too, and I think my theory about Gwynn actually being the one who protected Zoe from possession way back when is still in play. She just doesn't remember it because of the Bug and then Farahn messing with her mind. Both of them have every reason to lie and take credit for all of Gwynn's magic.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:30 am 
Is that Lacey? Which is my reaction to the recent comic but it's also spec I suppose so I'll put it here.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:32 am 
Reading the defender's shield from today, I'm not sure I want to see Gwynn and Farahn striking a deal during the Cappy Bo incident. Not out of a fear of intimacy or anything, but I pictured it like a cross between when he opens people up to write in them and a scene from a comic called Ava's Demon when a character has her entire body minus the brain and nervous system cut away for her to be inserted into a new body....except that the process doesn't go well.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:03 am 
Today's comic gave me thoughts. I think it's significant that Poopy Pants points out to the Moron King that he's really nothing more than a page in the book. This increases the chances that Farahn only controls, or regulates, access to the book's power/spells, by virtue of being the main really sentient entity in it. K'z'k has no control over the book directly because he's locked in Farahn and has no direct access.

This fits with the idea that Gwynn is using her own inherent magical talent (she's the hardware) and that the book itself only contains spells and instructions (the software which she can use according to her intention), with Farahn being the electricity that boosts Gwynn's power.

But why is Farahn able to fundamentally alter the thinking and motivation, and control the actions of this victims - erm, "wives"? He didn't seem magically talented before he was bound into the book.

I'm guessing (and maybe there's evidence of this that I'm missing or maybe it was spelled out) that his significant magical power essentially comes from K'z'k, which allows him to do things like "write" into the booked women. It seems this happens only after one of them becomes "one with the book" (not with Farahn) which lets them tap into its capabilities but also changes their own nature.

The fact that Farahn's power expresses itself in this way seems to also be related to his predatory and controlling behaviour, i.e. who he was without the power. In his case K'z'k is the magical hardware and the book is the software, and he uses these to tamper with the women that have merged with the book in ways that he didn't think of doing to the book itself.

Actually, if Farahn was a bit more introspective, he probably could have taken the book for himself, but luckily he seems more interested in controlling others than developing himself. And the Bug is not likely to tell him this because he wants to get out without Farahn, not contained by a more powerful Farahn.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:54 am 
I'm going to throw a looooong longterm spec here:

Farahn will be killed. By the sword.
The bug can't be killed, for it is a pillar of reality. But it can't be allowed to roam free.
Thus, Gwynn will become the bug's page/vessel/jailor. It will be her ultimate sacrifice, and she will really become Lady Gwynn of the Book.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:54 pm 
I'm not sure about that spec, but I have some followup spec to it anyway. If Farahn is killed by the sword, whoever wielded the sword will be "punished" by Dunuloa. Dunuloa has some revenge in mind for Farahn and I doubt it's as simple as just snuffing him out with Chaz. If it's Gwynn, perhaps being K'Z'K's new jailor would be the punishment.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:25 am 
King Fahran thinks Gwynn is gone. It's after Cappy-bo so I think we've gotten to space! Have we heard more about this Mister Y at all beyond the references in today's strip?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:33 am 
The plant symbol makes me think this is when she's using cappy bo to block him out. She couldn't converse and.then block him at will in space, so this is most likely before going to space while she still has cappy bo.

Mister Y is Yffi. He's also pretty clearly the creator of the Strakoi, so "contact Y" explains how the cult ended up making a deal with the Strakoi. More spec than that, but still seemingly pretty likely, Y is Symachus, the former Mohkadun God of Justice.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:04 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
randomlanguage wrote:
King Fahran thinks Gwynn is gone. It's after Cappy-bo so I think we've gotten to space! Have we heard more about this Mister Y at all beyond the references in today's strip?

Though it does says that time passes, I think that were still at a point where it's just the flower blocking Farhan.

Let's not forget that when they bury ZOAS, Gwynn and the bug have a short conversation and it's before they go to space and the anima world.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:32 am 
ong wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:

My guess is that she got a fragment of soul put into her so the Ozzid will have to obey her.

I thought that for a while, but today's last bit reinforces that to me.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:51 am 
ramoss wrote:

My guess is that she got a fragment of soul put into her so the Ozzid will have to obey her.

Nice idea, but a fragment of whose soul? One of the bloodline of Siphy II? When would that have happened?

Unless Gwynn turned out to be descended from *that* Siphy and not the one she body-swapped with.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:28 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
ong wrote:
ramoss wrote:

Nice idea, but a fragment of whose soul? One of the bloodline of Siphy II? When would that have happened?

Unless Gwynn turned out to be descended from *that* Siphy and not the one she body-swapped with.

I think you got thing mixed up. It's not to the scribe, but to Siphy II that Ozzid is bound to. We have seen Siphy II finally being pulled out of the book and, if she didn't completly burn down (I think she didn't), that means Ozzid would be back to obeying her.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:26 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
ong wrote:
ramoss wrote:

I think you got thing mixed up. It's not to the scribe, but to Siphy II that Ozzid is bound to. We have seen Siphy II finally being pulled out of the book and, if she didn't completly burn down (I think she didn't), that means Ozzid would be back to obeying her.

Yes, I think that's what we're both saying above, that somehow Ozzid is still into play and that could mean that the bloodline of Siphy II and the bookbinders is still relevant.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat