Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:07 am 
*The entire gang thinks it's a noble self-sacrifice*
*In reality, she just didn't watch where she was going*

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:06 am 
Here are my specs:
Chaz stabbed the book
Farahn and the bug are still "alive," but Chaz severed their connection
They pop out of the book for a fight before Chaz powers down
Bun-bun has stolen a car

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:44 am 
I'm going to guess that this kills Farahn but releases the bug. Besides GUIGUI's point, I recall that Chaz said that Horribus had to be stabbed in a vital spot - even by Chaz - to be killed, so I'd presume the same is true for other powerful demons. On the other hand, the spiders did mention a risk to the Omega pillar itself... I'm guessing the book itself and its spells will be mostly fine.

I'm guessing just the bug will show up, not the destroyer in full form. How much of an immediate threat that will be I don't know.

I wonder whether this chapter will eventually circle back to what Dunuloa and her gang are up to?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:45 pm 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
A reminder that Chaz Kill, he does not destroy magic, he simply kill. So stabbing a Magical book full of magic scrolls doesn't really kill anyone. But he has shown the property to kill any demonic spirit who happened to possess someone he wounded.

Don't know if stabbing a book count as wounding a possessed person.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:50 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
A reminder that Chaz Kill, he does not destroy magic, he simply kill. So stabbing a Magical book full of magic scrolls doesn't really kill anyone. But he has shown the property to kill any demonic spirit who happened to possess someone he wounded.

Don't know if stabbing a book count as wounding a possessed person.

There have been hints that the Book itself is alive in some sense, such as Farahn noting that the Book was feeding Gwynn power, but how since he controlled the Book.

My suspicion is that Quint's spirit was somehow tied to the book, and he simply never manifested wherever Farahn and the Bug were in order to prevent them from realizing he was there.

Tangent: if Gwynn became a creature like Siphy 2 or the Mercian lady, would she be like Lady Gwynn of the Book from the DoL? Was that Pete foreshadowing?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:14 am 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:
I'm going to guess that this kills Farahn but releases the bug. Besides GUIGUI's point, I recall that Chaz said that Horribus had to be stabbed in a vital spot - even by Chaz - to be killed, so I'd presume the same is true for other powerful demons. On the other hand, the spiders did mention a risk to the Omega pillar itself... I'm guessing the book itself and its spells will be mostly fine.

I'm guessing just the bug will show up, not the destroyer in full form. How much of an immediate threat that will be I don't know.

I wonder whether this chapter will eventually circle back to what Dunuloa and her gang are up to?

Horribus had to be struck in a particular spot because of his hard exterior. In other words, it was because he had to be hit in a vulnerable spot to be wounded at all. It didn't necessarily apply to power level, because Chaz also said the Demon King would be easier to kill. Interestingly though, the Demon King is the one entity we've seen who was wounded by a powered Chaz, but not killed (you can come up with explanations for this, but it doesn't change my point - the fact remains he was very clearly wounded by Chaz, but did not die). So we have seen that in certain circumstances, when Chaz hits in a more indirect manner, the victim can be wounded instead of killed. Could that happen here? After all, they are in the scroll which is bound in the book, but is stabbing the page they're in enough to kill them? Might it still be enough to wound them anyway because they are bound up in it?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:09 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:

Horribus had to be struck in a particular spot because of his hard exterior. In other words, it was because he had to be hit in a vulnerable spot to be wounded at all. It didn't necessarily apply to power level, because Chaz also said the Demon King would be easier to kill. Interestingly though, the Demon King is the one entity we've seen who was wounded by a powered Chaz, but not killed (you can come up with explanations for this, but it doesn't change my point - the fact remains he was very clearly wounded by Chaz, but did not die). So we have seen that in certain circumstances, when Chaz hits in a more indirect manner, the victim can be wounded instead of killed. Could that happen here? After all, they are in the scroll which is bound in the book, but is stabbing the page they're in enough to kill them? Might it still be enough to wound them anyway because they are bound up in it?

Yeah the Demon King is an interesting point - and probably more similar to a demon possessing a host (I think he was described as ephemeral) than to a DoP demon 'in the flesh', possibly. Anyway I'm revising my prediction about Farahn being killed because this chapter started with Dunuloa talking about her plans for vengeance on Farahn - I'm assuming Torg did not factor into those, so narratively it'd be kinda weird for him to die now. But maybe he could be wounded in some fashion. Also I wonder if her gang's plans might involve Wilcott's house somehow, because of its connection to the Book of E-ville.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:55 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)

Yeah the Demon King is an interesting point - and probably more similar to a demon possessing a host (I think he was described as ephemeral) than to a DoP demon 'in the flesh', possibly. Anyway I'm revising my prediction about Farahn being killed because this chapter started with Dunuloa talking about her plans for vengeance on Farahn - I'm assuming Torg did not factor into those, so narratively it'd be kinda weird for him to die now. But maybe he could be wounded in some fashion. Also I wonder if her gang's plans might involve Wilcott's house somehow, because of its connection to the Book of E-ville.

I always assumed her vengeance's intends were against humanity as a whole, not just Farhan, specifically.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:01 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:

I agree. It would be awkward to open the chapter with Dunuloa and yet close it put without her playing some role. If the chapter ends without her getting vengeance on Farahn, I suspect she'll aim her sights on those who denied her the chance though.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:14 am 
Did Wilcott somehow not know about the page hidden in his house?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:55 am 
Kesandru wrote:

Either that or he is not telling everything to Tombsy.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:24 pm 
Considering the nature of the spell there are certainly potential reasons he would want to keep it secret. On the other hand, he might not even know its gone yet and the spell may not be the first thing that comes to mind upon finding out his son was at his house.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:12 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
....the spell may not be the first thing that comes to mind upon finding out his son was at his house.

Most people would be more concerned upon finding out that Bun-bun was at their house.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:21 pm 
Something feels distinctly off. Wilcott's release of Chilus, talk of "appointed time" and release of Poopypants, would appear to be leading to yet another climatic event in Sluggy Freelance. And yet, at the moment, this feels all so anti-climatic.

I knew that the last time we saw Wilcott's plan in play that the "gathering of the potentials" was not yet complete, and that attempt to free K'Z'K (not yet Poopypants) was not the main event. But it does not yet seem like it's time for the main event... Too many loose ends....

When Torg set up the fall of Hereti-Corp, he coordinated many of the known potentials, and a few suspected ones (Nash, Izzy). But as of right now, the potentials and quasi-potentials still seem scattered and not yet gathering.

So GuiGui, that is why I focused on the spiders - potentially related to the fate spiders. Pete appears to be dropping bread crumbs. And Sam has indeed been found 'in the vicinity' of our gang, but not yet fully brought in. The spider in the vicinity of the last Lady of the Book appears to be another bread crumb, but I'm not clear what it leads to, since the Lady appears to be quite dead-dead at this point. What is her connection? Chaz? Is Mercia still important?

Who is the potential in Timeless Space?
[Uncle Time told Googol, "There's even a particularly young potential! /*Here*/ where there should be no connection to the web! Or maybe that hasn't happened yet." What hasn't happened yet? Was Timeless Space once connected to the web? Or does it become connected to the web? Why? And who is the potential? The only characters from Timeless Space that we are aware of being returned to normal time are Sluggy (Bun-Bun) and Flipp. Somehow I don't think Flipp is the potential that Uncle Time was referring to... Calix?]

Where is Nash these days? And Izzy? And what of other characters that appear to be leading (and therefore 'potential')? Are they really separate plot lines, or does the web connect everything? I'm particularly thinking of Squishydodo and our two 'artificial' ladies. And speaking of whom. What is Noah Zark's connection to Sasha? What are those two (or four?) up to?

Not to mention Dunuloa and Basphomy? What is Basphomy's task?

And thus I think I'll end with one of my wild (and usually wrong) specs: Basphomy's task is to steal Chaz for Dunuloa. And maybe that is why this feels anti-climatic. Whatever Wilcott & Tombsy have planned will lead to Farahn's demise at long-last. But K'Z'K will remain as a threatening, yet contained-for-now-but-not-for-long force yet to be dealt with by the "potentials".......

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:52 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
Kesandru wrote:

Either that or he is not telling everything to Tombsy.

Or he knows that there are several things that might be of interest at his house but he has no idea what particular thing was motivating them.

In a line vaguely similar to what swmartian posted, I'm speccing that the appointed time, representative, and ritual are all ultimately set up by Dunuloa so that she can get someone to bring the book to one of her minions, since it contains Farahn. What exactly she plans to do then I don't know - rereading the start of the chapter it sounds like she has some kind of endless torment planned for Farahn, and doesn't so much have malice towards anyone else so much as not care if Poopypants wreaks havoc in the process. I'm guessing Basphomy might be the representative.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat