Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:24 pm 
Not sure if someone has brought this up before, but can we spec before on Symachus's name?

Even if Pete was a bit random and... comedic with names in the beginning (the books of Gud, Bhad and Uglee? the book of E-ville?), he seems to have taken care with characters' names the more he started delving into larger storylines and setting up events and mysteries. I'd like to believe that Oasis was not just a cool word he had in mind but that he had that acronym reveal figured out early on.

So, as people must have pointed out by now, Symachus means "ally or supporter" or "the one that fights with" in Greek. The other gods of the Mokhadun pantheon seem made to correspond with myths that came since that period, with the implication that all mythologies in the sluggyverse are derived from that first civilisation of the 7th Spark. Hence Rana --> Ra the sun god, or Khronus --> Kronos --> Chronos (time). (that is also a Greek word, but I can buy the idea that whatever Krhronus originally meant during the Mokhadun era evolved into the Greek word for time because of its original meaning). A quick search even points to the Krig being related to old germanic words for battle (in retrospect I just realised I should have seen the german connection).

[Sidenote: Has it been specced that Krig is Santa Claus? It seems obvious because of his history with Bun Bun]
[Sidenote2: I got nothing on Dunaloa]

So this name must have a significance, deriving from the origin of the gods of the 7th Spark.
The most I remember getting of Symachus's specific origin is that he was one of a group of mystics that had a hand in summoning K'z'k, along with the Krigs, presumably the Krig's people https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=65#2014-01-24.

I wonder if we'll get a 6th spark history. It's likely if we are ever to find out about Bun Bun's true origins.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:36 pm 
I'm pretty sure "Krig" is also supposed to be cognate with "Kris Kringle".

It's unclear to me whether the Santa of recent times has a full recollection of his history with Bunbun/Sluggy. Sluggy's pledge back in the Mokhadun era to kick the Krig's butt someday did eventually come true...

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:27 am 
I don't think Krig being Santa even really counts as Spec anymore. I would actually consider it a "twist" if Krig was revealed to not be Santa.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:11 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
ong wrote:

Other than "Dunuloa" → "Lunoa" → "Luna"?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:06 pm 
Calling a spec, the third heart book in the Book of Evill'e is Riff's stepmother or the person (floozy) referenced here:

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1997-11-30

Who is Riff's stepmother? Is it an unknown character, could it be Oasis's mother, could it be ..... Alligia Liberliganus ;).

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:14 pm 
I can't believe that I am the first** to "call" this spec (but then, we all know I suck at speccing, so remember that sad fact when you review the following):

We know that there is a third book on Farahn's bookshelf that appeared after Edda, and more importantly, it apparently appears after Riff's father finds it, but before Riff and Gwynn possess it.

We know that Old Tombsy died in "an accident" that occurred at the excavation site.

We know that the Tombsy that Wilcott talks to is female, and considered the leader of the "Cult of K'Z'K".

We know that Riff believes that his father fired Tombsy's daughter, which suggests that she disappeared....

Perhaps Old Tombsy did not die accidentally, rather his "accident" facilitated "death magic". Perhaps that is why one of the pages removed from the Book is found at the excavation site.

Perhaps Cynthia is the third book.

We know that Wilcott expresses concern for Tombsy's fate as well as that of his own progeny.

How much of Wilcott's current actions are guided by an ancient relative (as we have come to suspect as we speculate who Yffi is)? Or could there have been a love interest between Wilcott and Cynthia - and releasing her from the Book is as much a priority as anything else Wilcott is trying to do here....?

Edit #1: **Dammit. skincell jumped on right before me with what may be the same spec - but I did flesh it out a bit more, and I specifically call it as "Tombsy" (or rather, the original Tombsy's daughter).

Edit #2: Good catch, though, skincell - I had forgotten about Lorna's comment that definitely tied Wilcott to an "affair" at the right time period - as there hasn't appeared to be any love interests in his life since we've met him...

Edit #3: So it seems that father and son have the same "problem" and similar goals...

Last edited by swmartian on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:35 pm 
Man, I had completely forgotten that there were three books on Farahn's "shelf" (which is probably more of a metaphor than an actual thing)... All of the recent comics showed only two (which I think we know are Siphy-no-not-that-Siphy-the-other-one, and Edda-the-Scribe), but that makes sense since at the time those comics take place, none of the modern characters would have been born yet.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:37 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
If the original Tombsy's daughter is the third heart book, then who is the current Tombsy? Well I suppose Tombsy might have had two daughters. Or even a granddaughter.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:40 am 
Rombobjörn wrote:
ong wrote:

Other than "Dunuloa" → "Lunoa" → "Luna"?

Oh duh, of course, can't believe I missed that.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:14 pm 
Rombobjörn wrote:
If the original Tombsy's daughter is the third heart book, then who is the current Tombsy? Well I suppose Tombsy might have had two daughters. Or even a granddaughter.

We do not ever see the current Tombsy... In the tale of Edda, The Bug uses a "phone" to talk to Wizard Yffi - even though phones would not be invented for another few centuries. I suspect that just as K'Z'K can communicate through dreams, he could also pick up on the carrier waves used for modern communication. I was originally thinking that Cynthia was communicating with Wilcott through the Book - but now that you mention it...

Hmm. Intriguing. The odd thing is that referral to a person by their last name is usually reserved for men, yet Skip indicates that Tombsy is female, and Wilcott does not dispute that. And now that you are making me think about it, I would not think that Wilcott would refer to his wife (or lover) by the last name... If the current Tombsy is Cynthia's daughter, then she would be not much younger than Riff...

No, wait. When Wilcott informs Tombsy of Qaboos' death (after Strom (Strum, etc.)) shoots him), Tombsy sobs and notes that "he's with dad now". So if Tombsy on the phone is not Cynthia, then a sister?

Another point that your question brings up... Unless Pete's favorite female name is Cynthia, it now seems odd that we have two characters of that name: Cynthia (Tombsy) and Sin'thea (La'Mort). Makes you wonder if there is a connection there...? Um.... Oh! Oh???

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:47 pm 
It's interesting too, because if you think about it "Tombsy" might be a reasonable nickname to derive from someone with the last name "La'Mort.". And if any human could take command of a demon cult, the person who literally wrote the book on fate magic seems like a prime candidate.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:26 pm 
Hm. With Sin'thea's expertise on Fate magic, one wonders if she also has some kind of lineage from one of the Mokhadun deities -- Tempest being the obvious choice, but it seems like the others at least dabbled in that area. It seems clear that the "template" from which the Oasis clones are produced is Sin'thea. And I feel like we've seen examples of the Oasis/Sin'thea style braids ending up in swirly shapes, in some images, which could be taken as somewhat evocative of Tempest's fate symbol.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:01 am 
There she is! Kira. Strong probability that's our mysterious three of hearts then

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:19 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
There she is! Kira. Strong probability that's our mysterious three of hearts then

Poor Kira, can't see her lasting long.
I wonder if her devious handling of Lorna (what thoughtlessness!) might indicate some other kind of allegiance, maybe with one of the Kzk cults.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:03 am 
ong wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

Poor Kira, can't see her lasting long.
I wonder if her devious handling of Lorna (what thoughtlessness!) might indicate some other kind of allegiance, maybe with one of the Kzk cults.

Taking into account that she works for Wilcott this is not to far-fetched...

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat