Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

How much do you like/dislike the new site?
Awesome - Love all of the changes  3%  [ 2 ]
Great - Like most of the changes  13%  [ 10 ]
Decent - More to like than dislike  33%  [ 26 ]
Meh - Neither love nor hate  10%  [ 8 ]
Whatever - Both hate and love  6%  [ 5 ]
Fail - More to dislike than like  22%  [ 17 ]
Awful - Dislike most of the changes  6%  [ 5 ]
@#$% - Hate all of the changes  5%  [ 4 ]
What - Polls are stupid  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 78

Post subject: Re: The New Website
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:32 am 
I will hold out final judgment on the site until the expected features are all in place.

However, the Archive front page, while nifty looking, is not so nifty when on a less powerful device (such as a phone, or older computer...)

Also, I really hope that the forum is updated (reverted?) to show the direct page 'links' along with the topics. Currently, we have to click on a topic link, then click on the last page link to get to the end of the conversation.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:57 am 
Hope this gets seen by the right people.

Since the new site launched, I've received intermittent errors when doing simple things:
  • HTTP 500 errors randomly, particularly when visiting the Archives
  • HTTP 504 errors randomly
  • SQL error 2002 randomly when clicking around the forums

While I love the higher resolution comics and the promise of the new site, overall I'm disappointed. I'm unsure if I will even be able to post this.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:00 am 
The new archive is nifty for archive-trawling. Easy to read through long sequences without having to constantly click and replot. (Though waiting for the lazy strip display isn't that nifty.
Could it become slightly less nifty and do a bit of read-ahead?) Wish I'd had it for the 20-30 times I've disappeared into the archives... but it'll probably happen again so I'll enjoy it then.

Minor problem: when reading the archives, there is a date link (like 171004) to give you a link to that date. That works OK. But when reading today's strip, there is both a date link and a "View in Archives" link. You would expect those to be the same, but they're not -- and the date link doesn't work.

Correct "View in Archives" link: http://archives.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=2017-10-04
Date link: http://sluggy.com/#2017-10-04

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:22 am 
Still getting archive errors (from recent strips, no less) using a new iPhone

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:23 am 
I'm just going to stop reading the comic. combined with the unpredictable update schedule, I think I keep missing strips? But there's no way to really check (as far as I can tell) what the last strip was until I find one I recognize so I've no clue if I am or if the comic has just taken a marked dip in quality.

Basically:
Sotanaht wrote:
My first impression "Where's the ****ING back button".

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:36 pm 
GlyphGryph wrote:
I think I keep missing strips? But there's no way to really check...

That's what the RSS feed is good for. Or at least it would be, if it ever showed more than 2 items (WTH?!).

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
GlyphGryph wrote:
I'm just going to stop reading the comic. combined with the unpredictable update schedule, I think I keep missing strips? But there's no way to really check (as far as I can tell) what the last strip was until I find one I recognize so I've no clue if I am or if the comic has just taken a marked dip in quality.

The Bookmark functionality would help you with this maybe. Read to the end then press the Bookmark button on the lower right of the strip to place a bookmark. When you come back just click on your profile and click on your saved bookmark(s) and it will take you right to it. Then repeat.

Though it is somewhat annoying that you have to remember to click on the large bookmark to reset it and be able to reuse it.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:44 am 
Unfortunately I browse across four different devices so uh, I imagine that would not be useful! If I could even remember, which I won't.

Viewing in Archives and then scrolling up works but its... weird feeling, and I wouldn't have guessed that was how to do it. I don't want to see anything in an archive, I just want to view the last strip to make sure I didn't miss something!

Also, I thought the enormous banner was finally going to go away, but it just got replaced by another one. Why the heck isn't the strip visible visiting the site now? Such a weird decision. Not only is checking if i missed something weird, but even checking if there's something new involves more work than it really honestly should.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:18 pm 
GlyphGryph wrote:
Also, I thought the enormous banner was finally going to go away, but it just got replaced by another one. Why the heck isn't the strip visible visiting the site now? Such a weird decision. Not only is checking if i missed something weird, but even checking if there's something new involves more work than it really honestly should.
I hope it is not unwelcome if I log in for the first time in years to echo this sentiment weeks later. I do so because every time I visit the site, I’m redownloading about 10MB of Stuff™ and until the site has fully loaded, it brings my laptop to its knees for about 10–30 seconds on average, which is giving me flashbacks to the days of Java applets combined with slow hard drives.* Surely the browser is partly to blame, but the site can still be re-engineered!

For instance, artistic effects are neat, but for a comic inclined towards frequent visits, the most crucial content absolutely should fit “above the fold”. Right now there isn’t so much as a single :bunbun: click to pay artist :bunbun: button on the first screen.

* remember those? remember Flash intros? remember when pop-ups came in their own window instead of in a blurry floating div blocking the content? am I old yet? I’m old enough to have been the CPU-cycle-burning Einstein who once put an irritating iframe’d applet with bouncing letters in my forum signature, as the most popular web forum software at the time** had a poor handle on sane security practices.

** ezBoard; it was popular for the price and the shared account for multiple forums more so than other features. In fact, it was through an ezBoard forum that I first encountered Sluggy Freelance. The other example I remember is that at one point it was possible to post “as” someone else, or even multiple posters, after your own post by just posting the HTML that would have been generated.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:41 pm 
BRPXQZME wrote:
GlyphGryph wrote:
I hope it is not unwelcome if I log in for the first time in years to echo this sentiment weeks later. I do so because every time I visit the site, I’m redownloading about 10MB of Stuff™ and until the site has fully loaded, it brings my laptop to its knees for about 10–30 seconds on average, which is giving me flashbacks to the days of Java applets combined with slow hard drives.* Surely the browser is partly to blame, but the site can still be re-engineered!

For instance, artistic effects are neat, but for a comic inclined towards frequent visits, the most crucial content absolutely should fit “above the fold”. Right now there isn’t so much as a single :bunbun: click to pay artist :bunbun: button on the first screen.

* remember those? remember Flash intros? remember when pop-ups came in their own window instead of in a blurry floating div blocking the content? am I old yet? I’m old enough to have been the CPU-cycle-burning Einstein who once put an irritating iframe’d applet with bouncing letters in my forum signature, as the most popular web forum software at the time** had a poor handle on sane security practices.

** ezBoard; it was popular for the price and the shared account for multiple forums more so than other features. In fact, it was through an ezBoard forum that I first encountered Sluggy Freelance. The other example I remember is that at one point it was possible to post “as” someone else, or even multiple posters, after your own post by just posting the HTML that would have been generated.

Yup. The internet is becoming a [Stop bypassing the word filters.] place now. And more intrusive. And less hospitable.
Makes me reminisce about the old [Ditto. -Z] things on old websites and makes me miss them. Because they were much less annoying than the half-baked current ones who are on a mission to annoy you.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 am 
haven't logged into the forums in years but holy cow this design is bad. it's not supposed to be miles of whitespace and scrolling to go through the archives is it? and good luck even bothering to read via my tablet even though it feels designed for mobile first and foremost. it loads so much it crashes it. my poor poor scroll wheel.....

I guess if I want to reread in a simple quick way I gotta pony up for the megatomes.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Strike_Reyhi wrote:
haven't logged into the forums in years but holy cow this design is bad. it's not supposed to be miles of whitespace and scrolling to go through the archives is it? and good luck even bothering to read via my tablet even though it feels designed for mobile first and foremost. it loads so much it crashes it. my poor poor scroll wheel.....
Yup, a lot of scrolling since everything is by chapter now. Though I'm surprised your tablet is crashing. I'm wondering, is it crashing when you are on a chapter, or is it when you click the ARCHIVES button? If it's the latter, then that might make sense why that is happening. That 3D monstrosity is not small nor useful. Many people around here have figured out ways to bypass it entirely.
Strike_Reyhi wrote:
I guess if I want to reread in a simple quick way I gotta pony up for the megatomes.
Maybe that was the goal all along...

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:04 pm 
my tablet is old it's about 50/50 on the work wifi either the page fails to load because the pages are HUGE or the browser crashes due to the huge fancy cosmetics.

it just sucks because it means i can't read sluggy in my downtime at work but it's not the end of the world i guess.

a plaintext archives, with just images and banner ads version would do wonders.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat