Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:54 am 
okay everyone I don't know what I'm doing yet I'm at the wheel and we're driving headlong into the climax of the story with still no agreed-on unified theory of Oasis but we're fine? oh god what am talking about we're doomed! Everybody-

PANIC!

WELCOME to the sixth horrible unending Lovecraftian nightmare that is the "What Others Have Posted About Oasis Here" thread!
I am your host, me. Normally this was done by the far more competent and prepared RYXLord. By he's missing, presumed DFA'd, and nobody else has stepped up to the plate so here we are. Deal with it

If you want to see his extensive, nigh-exhaustive circa-2008 rundown of Oasis theories, please go here:
W.O.H.P.A.O.H. 5

Furthermore, if you have literally all the time in the world, here are the rest of the archives:
WOHPAOH #4
WOHPAOH #3
WOHPAOH #2
WOHPAOH #1

I'm make no promises that you'll return with your sanity intact. Or that you'll ever return. Good luck!

WOHFITAH!
(What Others Have Found In The Archives Here)
(warning: contains major spoilers. Open only if caught up)
Spoiler: show

So ends the list.

FACTS 2.0!

Here are the concrete, non-wishy washy, timey-wimey facts the comic has currently established about Oasis, to be edited as people point out what I've missed.
(Warning: also contains spoilers)
Spoiler: show
  1. O.A.S.I.S. stands for "Organically Augmented Stealth Incendiary Satellite"
  2. Oasis's mind is located within a satellite above the Earth, which communicates instantly with her physical avatar
  3. Oasis is a highly trained survivalist assassin
  4. She can be programmed to do anything you want, provided you have Steve's watch and Steve's voice signature/are given control of Oasis via said signature
  5. When she's killed, she comes back from the dead unscathed her awareness is transferred to a fresh Rebirth Clone
  6. When she returns, she can have shifts of personality, and often has difficulty remembering her previous lives
  7. Her programming is maintained no matter how often she dies
  8. She has pyrokenetic powers access to a powerful orbital microwave beam she cannot control
  9. She is a match for Bun Bun, who is a god
  10. She was given the phrase "Nosce te ipsum" (Know Thyself) as a guide toward releasing herself from her programming
  11. She and Kusari were designed similarly
  12. She and Slaughteresa look similar enough that even Torg notices
  13. Oasis's physical bodies are Rebirth Clones of Sin'Thea La'Morte
  14. She has Chaz-powering innocent blood
  15. Oasis exists outside the Fate Web

TIMELINE
Based mostly off this

1. 1950 - Jim Orsin and Bill Sintos establish NJ Orsintos Labs
  2. 1967 - Zombie Project begins
  3. 1968-ish - Steven Hereti founds HeretiCorp
  4. 1971 - Zombie massacre, NJ lab is closed
  5. 1972 - Orsintos VA established
  6. 1974-ish - Bill Sintos establishes Orsintos Poland, killed in plant-zombie massacre
  7. 197X - Dr. Steve builds the Rebirth Facility
  8. 19XX - Dr. Steve tries to Rebirth himself multiple times, only Daedalus and Roberts are viable
  9. 1982 - Sin'thea Le'Morte contributes DNA to Dr. Steve's project. Oasis is born
  10. 198X - Dr. Steve secretly drops Oasis off at Orsintos VA for horrible experiments with Dr. Chen
  11. 198X - Horrible fire and death at Orsintos VA, Dr. Chen survives
  12. 1987 - Crazed-looking man drops Oasis off at orphanage, as part of Orsintos standard procedure
  13. 1987 - One month later, Oasis is adopted by Doctor Steve
  14. 1988 - Steve notices Dr. Chen keeping tabs and hires him on
  15. 1995-ish - Daedelus Hereti ousts his father and becomes head of HeretiCorp
  16. 199-something - HeretiCorp tries to recreate the Oasis project with Kusari
  17. 1997 - "unknown incident" causes all Orsintos labs to close
  18. 1999 - Torg stumbles across Oasis, Steven Hereti dies

So the previous threads would use this point to get into the gigantic list of theories...
Oh. Oh god.
Ugh.
Ugh why.

Okay. *sigh*

I'll commandeer the second post in this thread, and at some point in the future, maybe...MAYBE...I'll collect all the theories posited in the previous cyclopean behemoth of a thread, and list the non-insane ones there for your perusal, so we don't all keep trying to reinvent the wheel. But I make no promises and I won't be happy about it. Great! So with that said, I just wanted to say good luck. We're all counting on you.

- Yod

Last edited by Yodimus_Prime on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:10 am, edited 15 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:54 am 
I just wanted to say good luck, we're all counting on you.

THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR THEORIES OR WHATEVER

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:14 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
Yodi... You are the man.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:37 am 
Well, word of Pete is that the true nature of Oasis will be revealed by August of this year so this probably would be the last Oasis thread.

Some random thoughts that came to me in the midst (and immediate aftermath) of sleep deprivation (and typed in a haze after waking up):

- Theresa is the "proto-Oasis" which is why her mother, Sin'Thea La'Morte, was disappointed in her. In this case, "mother" is metaphorical. The fact that Theresa was "imperfect" was probably apparent shortly after birth.
- Sin'thea played a key, but unspecified, role in Oasis's creation. It was Sin'thea's vanity that led to the two having similar appearances and hairstyles.
- It is because of this link that Oasis sat first besides "Death" and then "Mort" on the two train journeys we have seen so far; both are names related to Sin'Thea's surname.
- Sin'thea and Marcus Chen worked on creating both Theresa and Oasis. Marcus Chen was present in the early childhood of both, which was why Theresa was immediately recognisable to him.
- Oasis was sent to Orsintos but not Theresa. The fact that Oasis was created was probably not mentioned to the Orsintos staff; likely only Marcus Chen knew. This was Theresa's good fortune as, in spite of her poor relationship with her mum, she received a relatively "normal" upbringing; Oasis's upbringing could only be politely regarded as highly abusive.
- Oasis and Theresa might well recognise each other as kindred when they finally meet each other. They probably will say "nice hair by the way" at some point in that initial conversation. Alternatively, they would run away from each other while screaming.
- Dr Steve did play a major role in Oasis's training and programming, thus being her "puppeteer". He probably was a "puppet" used in programming Oasis, thus the line "The puppet is the puppeteer."
- Dr Steve felt that Oasis had far more potential than "those fools". It is unclear who he was referring to. He might have been thinking of the Orsintos research team, Hereti-corp or possibly even Oasis's other creators.
- Oasis was indeed intended as a tool of vengeance but the initial target was NOT Hereti-corp in spite of Override B-1. Override B-1 was added by Dr Steve later. The initial target could have been K'z'k or whatever we're calling him this week.
- The fact that Oasis exists "outside the web" might well be important for this role. The phrase "outside the web" is important as it means that she cannot be directly influenced through the fate web. Note that she could still be indirectly influenced through the actions of other entities that the fate web CAN influence directly.
- Oasis is in many ways "innocent" because she is a construct fulfilling her programming or intended role. She had no choice in her initial actions and has next to no choice in her actions even now. Guilt and innocence take many forms; there are situations when the two are absolute, there are situations where the two are relative to each other and there are situations where they exist in a spectrum. A predator, say a tiger, is not guity of killing as it is that creature's nature and it has no real choice in the matter. The insane, and Oasis was (but might no longer be) insane, are also not truly guilty as they have no knowledge of the consequences of their actions. Oasis's recent murdering and plundering criminals might really be Hobson's choice to help and protect the Zalias. The fact that Oasis might feel guilty about what has happened to the Zalias does not actually make her guilty.
- Oasis becoming a person is her moving beyond being a constructed entity and is almost certainly what Dr Steve had in mind for her. "Override B-1" might well have been intended to be protective, to prevent her from falling into the clutches, and therefore control, of Hereti-corp before that could happen.
- Oasis's emotional responses are akin to those of a small child. She has what are functionally tantrums at times. These emotional responses would become less intense as she "grows up" and becomes a person.
- Harbinger might well be what Hereti-corp intended Oasis to be. A highly skilled killing machine most useful in certain situations and only to be unleashed in emergencies. Even if one is destroyed, another lies waiting in the wings ready to be deployed. The need to track Oasis's location in regard to Dr Steve's base is more to determine where she would reappear afterr dying so that that location can be predicted and possibly even controlled.
- While a construct, there is only one Oasis in existence at any point in time. Part of that might be an attempt to avoid creating further "tangles in the web". Each Oasis construct is an independent physicial entity that is flesh and blood but is certainly superhuman. Oasis, as a physical construct, is both magical and technological in origin. There is only one mind controlling these constructs and it is partially reset during deaths. This accounts for the varied personalities as this mind is in many ways that of a very young child responding to some very intense stimuli.
- Sin'Thea La'Morte, Marcus Chen and Steve Hereti are likely the three agents responsible for Oasis's creation though there might also be others involved that have yet to be introduced.
- Oasis is not truly a "ghost"; she is a constructed partially self-aware "mind" that can exist without a body but only possesses "self-awareness" when actually within a physical body. Each body is the physical vessel that contains that mind. Each body only manifests itself when the previous one dies. Each manifestation is initially physically identical but "reflects" that mind and could be created from a combination of technological and magical means. Oasis was initially in the body of a small child but as that body became that of an adult, each manifestation would also be that body of an adult. Each physical incarnation is probably "born" at the same apparent physical age, that age being "frozen" when Oasis died for the first time at Dr Steve's base. Oasis might, in principle, be able to manifest herself with a very different appearance but does not yet know how to do so.
- Oasis's pyrokinesis might be the manifestation of one of her more intense emotional episodes. She appears to be having a seizure but what really is happenning is more like a young child's tantrum. As Oasis "matures", this pyrokinesis will become more controllable and can be directed through intense emotion, probably anger.
- Oasis might have even more powers that have not manifested themselves but only time will tell it that is indeed the case.
- While Kusari is "made in Oasis's image and improved", in many ways, Kusari really has more "flaws" than Oasis has. The Kusari entity might actually become part of the Oasis entity in the future. This fusion of the two entities might help correct the Oasis entity's emotional instability.
- Kusari might also be a limited resouce as Kusari and Sasha entities have to be created in parallel. A few Sasha entities might well have "died" in the past around the time a "new Kusari" was needed (I'm not going to check if this could be true right now). Actually having a Sasha "death" at a convenient time might be expensive and possibly impractical to impossible given that Sasha is "in play" elsewhere.
- Oasis and Zoe are going to be "in play" simultaneously when finally defeating "The Destroyer". Zoe will strike the "killing blow" technically fulfilling the prophecy though in principle; either could have done it.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:57 am 
Updated post to add a tentative timeline to all the other tentative stuff in the OP

slightlylooney wrote:
- It is because of this link that Oasis sat first besides "Death" and then "Mort" on the two train journeys we have seen so far; both are names related to Sin'Thea's surname.

Nice observation

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 am 
slightlylooney wrote:
Well, word of Pete is that the true nature of Oasis will be revealed by August of this year so this probably would be the last Oasis thread.

Wait, what?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:06 pm 
Kesandru wrote:
slightlylooney wrote:

Wait, what?

Well, that was what I remember him saying at Intervention last year. Of course, I could have misunderstood him, I could have mis-remembered what he said or he could change his mind.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:19 am 
Well Kusari has returned today after being decapitated. Now I'm wondering what hC knows about Oasis since this is the first time i can recall Kusari returning from the dead.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:56 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
She died at the hand of Oasis at the end of Fire and Rain. (And here's the subsequent request for a "Replacement Kusari."

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:53 pm 
I had thought that Kusari had been killed off as well, but then many people reminded me that she could be brought back.

I'm kind of glad because the way she had most recently died seemed rather anticlimactic.

But her multiple deaths and rebirths does give credence to the connection with Oasis.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 am 
Hmm yes. Should I include Kusari stuff in the OP? I wasn't going to, since there's a whole thread for her, but they're pretty heavily connected..

[edit] Editing this to mention that I edited the patchy timeline in the OP to include a link to Chen mentioning the Rebirth Facility. I think we're about to learn something huge about Oasis soon

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:10 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
I had thought that Kusari had been killed off as well, but then many people reminded me that she could be brought back.

I'm kind of glad because the way she had most recently died seemed rather anticlimactic.

But her multiple deaths and rebirths does give credence to the connection with Oasis.

She was mentioned as being a 'limited resource'. Maybe not after the rebirth facility is found..

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:20 pm 
ramoss wrote:

She was mentioned as being a 'limited resource'. Maybe not after the rebirth facility is found..

I hadn't thought about that.

Maybe the "rebirth facility" is automated for Oasis, or some mechanism set in motion long ago and still running.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:36 am 
So the rebirth facility has to be located right in/under Podunkton, right?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:45 am 
It's gotta be. She respawned pretty much immediately when she was killed there.
Although it must put her somewhere isolated, on the outskirts of town, otherwise she'd find herself in Podunkton every single time

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat