Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:58 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
Confirmed-ish by Torg' s spec: "Oasis is a bunch of clones!"

Chen: "Oasis is a different story entirely"

Torg then asks if Oasis is a bunch of clones, and Chen (to my mind) deflects by claiming ignorance.

I think it's still an open question, and I gotta agree with gevmage that clones will be less satisfying.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:51 pm 
Noting for posterity that as of Sept. 1st, Roberts is also confirmed to be a Dr. Steve clone. Did we know that already?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:04 pm 
shiri wrote:
Noting for posterity that as of Sept. 1st, Roberts is also confirmed to be a Dr. Steve clone. Did we know that already?

Nope, as far as I know Yodimus_Prime was the first to spec it - yesterday.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:08 pm 
shiri wrote:

I don't think we did. We've seen him a few times, in shadow, with that weird helmet, in the evil board room. He turned on the lights once looking for his keys, every one was angry, but we never saw his face.

I had guessed he was Torg's dad controlled by a brain implant or something. Apparently not.

I can't think of any other times he was even shown or mentioned, and I don't recall him being central to any plot lines or anything.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:14 pm 
Oasis can't be just clones because the different versions of her share memories. That's different than Daedalus and Roberts. If they shared Dr. Steve's memories, they would have found his base and the rebirth facility a long time ago.

gevmage wrote:

The *reason* that they've wanted to get her so badly all this time wasn't that the containment unit was unique; they had one just like it (or maybe even a better one). It's that somehow, accidentally, one of the beings that got put into her containment unit was something uniquely powerful that they couldn't reproduce with Kusari. I'm thinking that it was a major piece of K'Z'K, or something like that. Or (or and) maybe a piece of the soul of the sun sister, and the equivalent piece of the moon sister is what Kusari has.

Rana or a K'Z'K piece both make some kind of sense, but I don't think it's either of them. I think it's Prozoato. Remember, it's the pillars that are threatened. That could still work with a K'Z'K piece of course, but it works better if it involves both of them getting looped into it. As would be the case if Oasis crosses paths with the Chilus cult.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:42 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Oasis can't be just clones because the different versions of her share memories.

Right. That's always been the one thread that the Single Oasis Theory hung on; continuity of her programming and her memories. Something must be continuous between the incarnations. If the various incarnations of Oasis are just clones-in-vats, then the plot has to account for the continuity in some other way.

So assuming we're approaching the conclusion that every new Oasis is a new clone from a vat, the question is what exactly IS her "controlled mind made human" that newly controls each clone in turn?

(By the way, I did glance through WOHPAOH 5 for this, and it mostly isn't covered ground. (By the way, here's WOHPAOH 5:http://forums.sluggy.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10360 ; the link at the top of *this* thread gets a 404 error; I assume due to porting to the new site.)

1) Some spiritual entity that moves from the old clone to the new one? This is the "weaponized ghost" theory, I guess. This is possible but unlikely, as it's looking like Oasis' resurrection is likely technological in some way.

2) Some technological agent that moves from the old clone to the new one? Some spiritual energy capsule carried by Nanites or some such? An interesting question as to how they transport themselves from Oasis' body when she dies to the new clone.

3) Oasis' mind is some entirely external agent (a computer sitting somewhere?) that controls her body remotely all the time; her mind is NEVER resident in her body. So when she dies, the Oasis-mind-compute just fires up and links to a new clone, and out the door she goes.

If it's 3, then I guess that computer/control system is what they're about to reveal.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:43 am 
gevmage wrote:
(By the way, I did glance through WOHPAOH 5 for this, and it mostly isn't covered ground. (By the way, here's WOHPAOH 5 http://forums.sluggy.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10360 ; the link at the top of *this* thread gets a 404 error; I assume due to porting to the new site.)

ALL the links in my first post are 404s now D:
cries in a corner

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:09 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
ALL the links in my first post are 404s now D:
cries in a corner
You might want to recheck. I performed a simple magic spell on it.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:50 pm 
Zill fixes your links with this ONE WEIRD TRICK!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:08 am 
Oasis is from the DNA of Synthia La Mort! Now we know why they (and Teresa) looked so much alike, and why even Torg saw the resemblance.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:57 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
Oasis is from the DNA of Synthia La Mort! Now we know why they (and Teresa) looked so much alike, and why even Torg saw the resemblance.

Right. And so we know the origin of Oasis(es). She's a clone of a normal person.

So, not a robot. Not supernatural being (or at least she's largely a human).

So unless there's a very sharp turn in the plot at this point, the Multiple Oasis Theory is what oasis really is. The nature and implications of what exactly her "Controlled Mind Made Human" is remains, presumably soon, in the Chen/Torg story line.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:03 am 
But this does raise the new question of who is Sin'thea? Does she also have pyrokinesis? Does she also exist outside the fate web, and if so why? And if not, what's the key factor that makes her unkillable clone so special in this regard?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
I think it's Prozoato. Remember, it's the pillars that are threatened. That could still work with a K'Z'K piece of course, but it works better if it involves both of them getting looped into it. As would be the case if Oasis crosses paths with the Chilus cult.

A million times yes. It would be insanely fitting if the eternally reborn Oasis was an unknowing vessel for Prozoato, the "source of all life." I had pegged Zoe as an unknowing vessel for Prozoato due to her role as the Storm Breaker, but I like this better.

"Controlled mind made human" fits too, since that statement inherently implies that the mind in question was not human to begin with. How they managed to control said mind is another question, but that's where Sin'thea's "Fate Magic" could play its part.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:14 pm 
A few weeks ago, I went through the Mohkadun arc with the one strip with Synthea's fate book symbols open in another tab, looking for any relation.

I didn't see any exact matches, but I did see some similarities, like the symbols on her book were the gods symbols taken apart and the pieces put back together in a different order.

This could be just Pete's artistry and unintentional resemblance, but he's pretty good at subtle links.

Not sure if this has anything to do with Oasis, but it's another link between her and Mohkadun.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 pm 
Jimmymac's post also got me thinking about something else with Oasis too.

We still really don't know what the mechanism for personality transfer is for the (presumed now) multiple Oasis'.

While Chen may have been unaware of the *location* of Oasis rebirth facility, he clearly knows something about her internals. He was able to do something to her, (before she was shot the most recent time, I think?), and definitely *after* she was most recently reborn, before he found the entrance to the rebirth facility. Kusari said something about "tranponder work" or something like that? And Oasis then said that Chen had done something to the back of her neck.

As far as we could tell, HC was able to locate the rebirth facility with satellite tracking because of something done previously; so I wonder why Chen had to do something to Oasis *again*?

And this struck a memory the other day when for random reasons I was looking through bits of the Mokadun bit. When the Big K'z'k talks to the little one, the bug, which comes out of Gwynn, having posessed her, one of them said it had spent an eternity in "the back of Gynn's head". Hmmmmmm.........so in the sluggyverse, the seat of consciousness (or at least where it can be tapped) is in the back of your head.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat