Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:36 pm 
Ok. I was watching cartoon network with my nephew the other day and a commercial came on for the Naruto video game and I thought "man it seems like every cartoon that comes out gets a video game now, One Piece, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, etc." Then I thought, "I want my nephew, who is too young to read but good enough to kick my butt in Halo2, to be able to experience the world of Sluggy what better way than a Sluggy video game. So I give you,

Sluggyverse: Wrath of Bun Bun

How cool would that be! Wandering around as a cute mini lop flirting and taking pics of hot Bikini Suicide Frisbee gals while running the crime in Sluggy. Kinda like Baywatch meets Grand Theft Auto.

What say you Sluggites? Could Pete do it? Has he met enough programmer/designers at cons to pull this off? I may be stereotyping here, but come on how could he not have met enough.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:46 pm 
Sluggy would make a great game. There are a ton of Sluggy plots that could be turned into a game. Problem is, what style would most sluggites want? Shooter? RPG? Adventure?

Then we run into the problem of 3d vs 2d. Almost all games use the 3d now. I just don't see Bun-Bun, or any character working as a 3d model. After experiencing Sluggy characters in 2d for 8 years, changing them like that would be quite a shock. You'd need a really good animator to get it right.

As for your suggestion of a baywatch/grand theft style title.... well..... It would be tough getting a game on the store shelves with a rating of AO. Perhaps something a little more family friendly would be appropriate for a first endeavor. Perhaps something set in Timeless Space. The adventures of Pirate Captain Bun-Bun or something. Maybe that third part of Oceans Unmoving that we're waiting for could be worked into the plot.

I'd like to see an adventure game. In the style of the old LucasArts games. Hey, it worked with Sam & Max.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:56 pm 
If you wanted a fun little flash game, I'm sure there would be someone somewhere with the free time and the will to make one.

But if you wanted something GTA style then that would no doubt take a professional effort. Most mainstream video games nowadays need budget somewhere in the tens of millions, not happening for something sluggy...

One approach that might work though is a community project. This involves lots of volunteer coders, all submitting code for the project.
We have a lot of Discworld lovers here it seems, so it may interest you to know something like that was once tried by Discworld fans, who attempted to make a game in the unreal engine about a drunk who had lost his shoe.
Their site is now 404, though, so it looked like that failed.

OK, slightly back to topic.
The one thing I loved about Oceans Unmoving, was that it reminded me so much of one of the greatest RPGs of all time, Skies of Arcadia. What I'd love to see would be an Oceans Unmoving RPG, made by the same team ^_^
Not going to happen, because I think they were split up/restructured when Sammy brought them out, but still I can wish!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:20 am 
Wrock wrote:
Then we run into the problem of 3d vs 2d. Almost all games use the 3d now. I just don't see Bun-Bun, or any character working as a 3d model. After experiencing Sluggy characters in 2d for 8 years, changing them like that would be quite a shock. You'd need a really good animator to get it right.

Did you ever see the "Beavis & Butt-Head" game? That was a decent compromise treatment - using 2D images in a "puzzle game" format, together with good writing and design. It was actually a pretty fun game.

Mr. Jest

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:42 am 
AOL: x86EliGottlieb
I think cel-shading could do Sluggy justice in 3D, as well as provide some of the humorous feel normally absent from a "we're trying to do 3D as close to photorealism as possible" game.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:47 am 
Location: In the middle of Fantasy, Reality and Sherry Trifle
Wrock wrote:
Sluggy would make a great game. There are a ton of Sluggy plots that could be turned into a game. Problem is, what style would most sluggites want? Shooter? RPG? Adventure?

I would like to see a FPS adventure where you could walk around and explore the sluggyverse and interact with the characters. Based on valves source engine so it would look quite slick.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:29 am 
If budgetting is a main problem we could get something not as advanced. Like...the cartoonish games they make. Naruto comes to mind and so does Destroy All Humans. Both looked all right graphically. RPG/Adventure would be my choice then. I don't see Bun Bun doing puzzles, unless he made Torg or someone do them for him at knife point.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:02 pm 
SciFi Fantassy Fan wrote:
I don't see Bun Bun doing puzzles, unless he made Torg or someone do them for him at knife point.

Kiki knocks the Baywatch dvds off the shelf and Torg has to catch them, it could be tetris like.

In the realm of pure imagination I nominate killer7 style cel-shading for a Sluggy game. It actually looks like a comic put in 3d.

More realistically, a flash game or RPG maker kind of thing could be done. I imagine there are some in the communtiy with the knowledge and time to pursue it, if we ask nicely enough.

A Riff centric game would be like Metal Slug/Alien Hominid or an Oasis game like the Revenge of Shinobi or the original Ninja Gaiden series for example. Or a Torg game like Ghouls and Ghosts.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:44 am 
AOL: l3ndlel4dpa
Heck, it could be all three. The story takes you through different perspectives and characters: FPS-type action for Riff, 3rd-person ninja-style game for Oasis, 3rd-person platformer with minimal combat (ala Chaz) for Torg, and a sort of Wolverine-stlye bloodbath 3rd person for the Bun.

Of course, I agree with what others have mentioned: Pete has neither the time nor the money (I think) to do this sort of thing. A community sort of game would be feasible, though I, for one, have no advanced programming knowledge. (I'm seventeen. Cut me some slack.)

However, I do not doubt that it would be truly awesome for a Sluggy game to come into existence. I guess my main worry is whether we could do it justice.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:36 pm 
I am so going to be working up each of the characters in the Sluggyverse in Will Wright's upcoming Spore.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:09 am 
^Come on we all know you just want to create a "harem of Zoe-Oasis hybrid love slaves". :torg:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:52 am 
Indeed I do... but it certainly won't end there.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:17 am 
There's the SluggyMARE.... but I don't think many people play anymore. :(

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:35 pm 
A sluggy video game would have to be multi-genre w/ multiple character possibilities (obviously).

Probably would have a main phase like an rpg-ish (not entirely like an rpg which i specify because some adventure games are platforms as well) adventure, with huge adventure areas (the whole town of wherever they live, Wispydale, etc). At certain points in the game the genre would change to fit the type of action.

It would have to be more interactive than: Go here, Read this. Cutscene of Riff and Torg banishing KZK to the past. Maybe, for example, during that scene one could input their own actions or puns...

And, under no circumstances, should the game turn into a corny series of minigames, there should be subgenres, but it shouldn't be a minigame-game.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:20 am 
Well, I was considering doing a Sluggy Freelance adventure game at one point. I posted about in these forums and had a number of ideas about how it could work, in my head (storyline ideas, game structure, etc). However, I was told that I'd have to get Pete's permission to create it and I never got a reply to the e-mail I sent him.

Just something to consider before you get too carried away with the idea, that's all. It's possible that Pete wouldn't mind so much if it was a simple game without any real storyline but I think he's unlikely to approve anything beyond that.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat