Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:38 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
In your example, RXY, Torg makes a point of the fact that he's making a pun; I think the stealing fences thing is a joke. Given that he states in the conversation with Chaz that he took fencing in college and does not appear to be joking, I think that is probably true.

My overall impression is that Torg really did have some sword training but was in no way a skilled professional (or even amateur). Chaz enhanced his abilities, and during the course of TWR, Torg's real skills improved significantly, very possibly aided by Chaz's powers.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:46 am 
Mewtarthio wrote:
Heh, those are some pretty neat swords in there. However, Chaz does not seem to be that drastic. I've never read the series, so he might be like Dragonslicer, but those other two swords clearly take absolute control of their wielders for the duration of the battle. Chaz only enhances Torg's natural skill, influencing his blows and parries,
I agree that it seems clear that Chaz seems to do that just in-hanse Torgs skill rather than take over, more like Dragonslicer rather than the others.
totalscinentist wrote:
As for Torg not having strength and skill enough to kill Horribus unaided except by a blade capable of penetrating his hide, I don't see any reason for that assumption. Yeah, Horribus can throw a tower at you, and I assume he might be fast for his size (although not a single DOP demon is fast enough runner to catch up with Torg before he can reach the circle of protection in the first DOP story, so speed may not be their thing). All strength aside, if he can't lay a hand on you, physical strength is irrelevant. With the sword, Torg has better reach and even though he can't kill Horribus without going through the chest or taking off the head, Horribus can certainly be cut and pierced, as we've seen, so any arms reaching for Torg can get lopped off one by one and Horibus' forward momentum can be used against him to amplify the force of Torg's swings. Torg could have done it, but as the sword said, it wouldn't be easy. Also, given his preference, Horibus wanted to take Torg alive, giving Torg an added advantage in close combat where Horibus would try to capture rather than kill.
Okay Horribus is a Demon Lord with millions of years of combat training and fighting under his belt and Torg had at most a 5 week crash corse in sword fighting and maybe a little fencing. Horribus would tare him apart.
RYXlord wrote:
That said, he holds out amazingly against the deadle hoards, which, while most likely slower and easier to kill, do retain their knowledge and memories. thusly he's not holding his own against just any zombie army, he's holding his own against an army of highly skilled and motivated zombie warriors.
You hit it on the head, but they are not easier to kill, if anything they would be harder to kill, they have no pain and they have no organ functions to disrupt.
RYXlord wrote:
regarding Chaz having a lasting impact on him, its difficult to say. he had Chaz a long time before TWR to no apparent effect.

my bet? Chaz improves not only overall skill, but the rate at which the skill is improved.
improved learning, that seems reasonable. I like it.
RYXlord wrote:
Firstly, just to clarify... while torg had received a crash course in sword fighting, the whole 'fencing' thing was a bad pun on his part. he literally took lengths of fencing as a child.
LadyBlanc wrote:
In your example, RXY, Torg makes a point of the fact that he's making a pun; I think the stealing fences thing is a joke. Given that he states in the conversation with Chaz that he took fencing in college and does not appear to be joking, I think that is probably true.

My overall impression is that Torg really did have some sword training but was in no way a skilled professional (or even amateur). Chaz enhanced his abilities, and during the course of TWR, Torg's real skills improved significantly, very possibly aided by Chaz's powers.
Okay LadyBlanc means This, it seems Torg did have some fencing, over all I would say it was maybe a on and off thing. When Torg felt like it, AKA when he was board.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:20 pm 
Raptor wrote:
Okay Horribus is a Demon Lord with millions of years of combat training and fighting under his belt and Torg had at most a 5 week crash corse in sword fighting and maybe a little fencing. Horribus would tare him apart.

Bear in mind that demon skin apparently cannot be pierced with conventional weapons. Even completely untrained, Torg can hack through hordes of demons simply because they've never had to worry about playing defensively before. Still, Horb was a fighter for Lord Atrocioun, and apparently an important one at that. It is likely that he's had to fight enemies weilding anti-demon weaponry; at the very least he'd have prepared for that contingency.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:19 pm 
I don't think Horribus is as formidible as people are making him out to be. Yeah, he's impossibly strong, I'll give you that. But he hasn't been fighting at all for probably thousands of years, just sitting around the DOP, and we don't know that he was that good back in the day, he was a cunning lacky but that's all we know. As demon lord Horribus has strength and power, not combat training. Heck, he's beyond clumsy! "That's a bad place for an anvil" comes to mind. Also he has extremely poor reflexes; when Mosp got in front of him in a blatant attack stance, getting between him and his prey, Horribus just let himself get impaled by a heavily telegraphed two handed thrust. Doesn't sound like a million year combat veteran to me. If someone with spikes for hands gets in front of you looking ready to kill, winds up and then thrusts, an experienced fighter would have a reaction! It's not like she caught him at a disadvantage either, he was mad, his adrenaline had to be at peak level, and with peak adrenaline comes peak reaction time. Still, he couldn't even try to stop the attack.

All Horribus has going for him is tremendous strength, and aparently the ability to incinerate demons in his hands. All that means is you can't let him touch you. Torg would have even odds using a sword capable of hurting a demon, just based on the abilities we know he has now. He can dodge Bun-bun striking from hug range, which makes him by far faster than Horribus and gives him relexes approaching superhuman. And that's without holding Chaz by the way, so he has reflexes that good on his own. Torg also has strength enough to cut clean through a whole demon torso or to knock out an alien version of himself with one punch. Plus, I say again, Horribus wanted to take Torg alive by the time they were facing eachother one on one and he also would have underestimated Torg's abilities, this puts the demon lord at a disadvantage. Add in the range advantage of a sword and, even if Chaz offer's no advantage besides being able to cut demon flesh, Torg could win it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:56 pm 
totalscientist wrote:
Torg would have even odds using a sword capable of hurting a demon, just based on the abilities we know he has now. He can dodge Bun-bun striking from hug range, which makes him by far faster than Horribus and gives him relexes approaching superhuman. And that's without holding Chaz by the way, so he has reflexes that good on his own. Torg also has strength enough to cut clean through a whole demon torso or to knock out an alien version of himself with one punch. Plus, I say again, Horribus wanted to take Torg alive by the time they were facing eachother one on one and he also would have underestimated Torg's abilities, this puts the demon lord at a disadvantage. Add in the range advantage of a sword and, even if Chaz offer's no advantage besides being able to cut demon flesh, Torg could win it.
you meanthis Torg when I said
Raptor wrote:
I was speaking of this Torg. After a year of living by the sword he has learned how to use it and is ready to fight Horribus but it would still be an epic battle.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat