Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Mythology of Sluggy
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:10 am 
So, I hadn't read Sluggy in a long time. And as I was reading through the archives from where I left off, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Pete knows his mythologies. Or at least the lesser known Russian and Greek ones.

Lady Noga: Obviously she's the Baba Yaga. A Russian or Romanian witch that flies around the forest in a mortar and pestle. Pete drew her considerably more good looking than she is in folklore, as she supposedly has a gigantic nose and is incredibly bony. It was a nice touch to add in the one panel where she says children are delicious, because, well, she eats children. I wonder if she misses her house on chicken legs with it's bone fence....

Vrykolak Vampires: From the modern Greek folklore "Vrykolakas" they don't really have a set form. Sometimes as ghosts that haunt people (which accounts for them being able to turn into mist), sometimes known to sit on people and kill them in their sleep like a Mara or Incubus, but usually vampires. There are also numerous references to them as werewolves (the silver hurting them). I noticed them because it made me think of the Varcolac which is a creature so powerful it feeds off the sun and moon.

I know there are many more, but these are the ones I noticed right away. If any of you know the others and post them before I go through the archives from the beginning this time, much appreciated!

SB

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat