Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:12 pm 
What character degeneration? Aylee has never been one likely to side with Riff and her response isn't terribly different from everyone else.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:26 am 
I got a spec that can be easily debunked pretty soon I think: "Fulcrum" will be the last sub-chapter of The Immortal King, besides a possible epilogue.

This just feels like a good place to switch gears, what with there being a big plan, everyone's about to split up, and also...my GOD this chapter has been going for a while. The prologue began back in June of 2020 - in fact we passed the 2 year mark last week!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:29 am 
I don't know what it is, but ever since Torg got the eye injury I've been having a nagging feeling that it's somehow significant.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:39 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Punished Torg.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:33 pm 
Kesandru wrote:
I don't know what it is, but ever since Torg got the eye injury I've been having a nagging feeling that it's somehow significant.

Perhaps because it's a visual comparison to Schlock, to go with his comments sounding kinda Schlock-ish to Riff.

Of course, Torg's eyepatch is a) hopefully temporary, and b) white compared to Schlock's black patch. That may or may not be significant.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:22 am 
Thom Solo wrote:
Kesandru wrote:

Perhaps because it's a visual comparison to Schlock, to go with his comments sounding kinda Schlock-ish to Riff.

Of course, Torg's eyepatch is a) hopefully temporary, and b) white compared to Schlock's black patch. That may or may not be significant.

It seems a bit awkward to draw and focus on ...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:46 am 
I've been contemplating recently that something feels missing. I realized today that it might be the setting. More specifically, the presence of other people. The stories in which I've been most engaged include interaction with a society, people that exist beyond the gang themselves. That might be the people in another dimension, or the black-ops elves, or other groups in which the gang has immersed themselves. This raises the stakes for their actions. What they do matters to the people immediately around them, beyond themselves. Now, however, I don't have a handle on the world that exists outside of their social group, so to speak. Thus, it's harder to sense the stakes. I feel more worried about what people think of Torg than the imminent end to the spark.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:20 pm 
This feels like a section of the story that will read much better in the archives.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:07 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
I've been contemplating recently that something feels missing. I realized today that it might be the setting. More specifically, the presence of other people. The stories in which I've been most engaged include interaction with a society, people that exist beyond the gang themselves. That might be the people in another dimension, or the black-ops elves, or other groups in which the gang has immersed themselves. This raises the stakes for their actions. What they do matters to the people immediately around them, beyond themselves. Now, however, I don't have a handle on the world that exists outside of their social group, so to speak. Thus, it's harder to sense the stakes. I feel more worried about what people think of Torg than the imminent end to the spark.

This comes partly from the fact that the whole "Demon Meet" thing they're currently so worried about has been pretty abstract. We don't know the lead up to it, what their plan is, who's involved in an overall sense (besides KZK obvs) - plus the fact that releasing KZK is such a suspicious "also ran" redo of a previous, massive storyline makes it suspiciously low stakes for a world-ending threat. We got focus on the women trapped in the Book, we got focus on the Book's evolution, we got focus on Gwynn globe trotting around finding Book pages, and we are holding onto the hints about the "Tangle" from past storylines - something that we expect to play a major role in KZK's true release. What of any of that relates to this demon meet? Seems like none of it to me...

Secondly, the main thrust of this chapter has been the deep-time history of the Book of E-Ville. Which was really cool, but ultimately has no clear bearing on what's going on now. I'm sure Y is involved, but we saw him so far into the past (and in a secondary capacity no less) that he doesn't feel like a present danger right now. And what little world building we've gotten of the present day - which the gang hasn't interacted with for 2 years - was mostly at the start of the chapter, which itself was 2 years ago for us.

So it makes perfect sense that they feel isolated.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:24 pm 
Good points, Yodimus! Your explanation helps clarify from a story perspective what I've been feeling from a personal perspective. As sycasey said, this may be better in a swifter read through the archives later.

I do worry/wonder if this is the final story before Pete officially finally retires... With some of Torg's comments, I thought he was leading us that way...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:53 am 
It's hard to say, because I think it depends a LOT on how long this storyline is gonna go. The Immortal King could easily be the first of a 3 chapter, 6 year long arc where Pete's just taking his time putting the pieces down and this chapter was all the groundwork part. Orrrr this could just drive directly into next chapter and Pete does a "surprise this is the final chapter!" news update. Which...wouldn't be the worst outcome, although personally it'd leave me feeling like the ending was kinda rushed, ironically. I really don't know.

The only thing that would surprise me is if Sluggy ran longer than ~4 years. If this comic hits 30 and isn't in the process of ending, I'll eat my...uh...I'll eat a plate of peas. Gotta be something actually edible, this is a pretty losable bet :P

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:14 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I remember Pete saying it would take about three years to wrap up all of the loose ends. I think it's been five years since he said that...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:38 pm 
Pete always seems to underestimate how long a story will take.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:18 am 
Zillatain wrote:
I remember Pete saying it would take about three years to wrap up all of the loose ends. I think it's been five years since he said that...

3 years * 365 days = 1095 days.
minus weekends = 795 work days.

comics produced in the last 5 years = ??

I don't need to do the math to know we're still pretty far away from 795~1095.

Unless he meant comic years, in which case we can talk again when Sluggy is old enough to start collecting their pension.

edit: I'm being silly and not actually suggesting anything realistic.

Last edited by Spirantz on Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:17 am 
Pete had stopped doing 5 days a week awhile before Sluggy 20+, at leaston a regular basis. Also, these strips are typically longer than the standard daily comic of the first 20 year, so I'm not sure number of daily strips is a fair comparison.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat