Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:44 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I think they mention that Symachus' curse has degraded over time, which allows later descendants some semblance of sight? something like that.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:55 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
It also implies that there aren't any cults or demons to think about yet. Which also simplifies things.

Given what just happened today I guess no cults were involved in ripping Tombsy to an early grave. I'm a bit disappointed as I was expecting more skullduggery, but I'm glad we're moving fast towards the present again.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:53 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
rmharman wrote:
Kozoaku planted the box with Maloufo via posessing a friend of Maloufo's wife Wyntiti. And then later Maloufo was given the prison scroll by Dunuloa,

Correct so far, but:
rmharman wrote:
so he has both by the time of the comics with him and Macha.

Asahn took them downriver before that time.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:01 am 
Rombobjörn wrote:
rmharman wrote:
Kozoaku planted the box with Maloufo via posessing a friend of Maloufo's wife Wyntiti. And then later Maloufo was given the prison scroll by Dunuloa,

Correct so far, but:
rmharman wrote:

That refers to the scroll of imprisonment (which ultimately ends up in the hands of Quint, and bound into the Book of E-Ville), not the scroll of un-reading. Nobody at that time knows about the scroll of un-reading, other than Symachus / Yffi. The scroll of un-reading and the blood compass were locked into the box, which doesn't get opened again until centuries later, by Wilden.

I suppose "all remnants of Mokhadun" might also include the box, and so that also might've made its way to Quint (and hence been in the collection that the Vesuvius dig found).

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm 
Well, I get points for calling Tombsy's fate. I am not sure whether skincell or Yodimus_Prime gets the call for who's in the third book - I guess it depends on whether Kira gets her way...

The fact that the third page is discovered at Wilcott's house suggests that she did.

However, Tombsy was trying to remove Kira from the picture - to warn her off. He acted like "family" was a slip... I thought that was a nod to the spec that Wilcott was having an affair with Cynthia at the time of the current strips - and perhaps goes on to marry her, not Kira?

I am intrigued that Cynthia Tombsy may very well end up being Sin'thea La'Mort. [could Slaughteresa and Monicruel be half-sisters of Riff??] So if Kira does not get her way, then skincell may get that spec as well. The intrigue is Sin'thea's obsession with "Fate Magic". We see the fate spiders apparently involved in quite a number of points along the way, both in this story, and in others. What connection does she have to them? And is she working with Wilcott or against him? I get the impression that the fate spiders are driving 'the potentials' to save this spark...?

And what of Yffi? If Yffi is Symachus, then what of his army? Sam's vamps appear to be quite different than the Strakoi, as well as opposed to them - and it seems odd that one group of vamps was created at around the same time as another? Still not quite clear on how that happened - but the fate spiders appear involved with that plot as well?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:16 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
It looks like Kira is already ensnared by the book in the dream panels of today's comic. Her fate is sealed.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:24 am 
Dodger77 wrote:
It looks like Kira is already ensnared by the book in the dream panels of today's comic. Her fate is sealed.

Yep. Kira is likely the Three Heart book, and given her current ruthlessness and willingness to go along...when she's unleashed, she is gonna be scary.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:39 am 
swmartian wrote:

I am intrigued that Cynthia Tombsy may very well end up being Sin'thea La'Mort. [could Slaughteresa and Monicruel be half-sisters of Riff??]

On that issue, if Cynthia Tombsy is Sin'thea La'Mort, and if this person is in charge of the Cult in the present day, this would bring a lot of things into perspective on why a collision, meeting or joining up of K'z'k and HeretiCorp would bring the Web down.

I don't remember all the specifics, but it seems clear by now that Oasis and her clones were copied from Sin'thea, possibly without her knowledge. I wonder if Dr. Steve was up to something other than just creating Oasis as we saw her, something to do with Mohkadun and the Fate Web.

If that were the case, Sin'thea's realisation of what Oasis was/is would likely have repercussions for her own plans or an added significance given her knowledge of Fate Magic. And THAT, giving the cult access to Oasis, would have been what would bring the Web and the 7th Spark down.

Given the symbolic duality between Rana and Dunaloa, and the corresponding duality of Oasis (fire, joy) and Kusari (night, broodiness, moon) I wonder if cloning technology on these two doesn't use some aspect of Mokhadun magic, or - you know - ancient technology indistinguisable from magic.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 pm 
GigaGuess wrote:
Dodger77 wrote:

Yep. Kira is likely the Three Heart book, and given her current ruthlessness and willingness to go along...when she's unleashed, she is gonna be scary.

Yes, I agree that Kira must end up as the third book; but what I meant in my post was that skincell might have called it first:
skincell wrote:
Calling a spec, the third heart book in the Book of Evill'e is Riff's stepmother or the person (floozy) referenced here:

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1997-11-30

Pete appears to hint that least some of Kira's motive in going along with the Book is to seduce Wilcott. So if she gets her way, and she marries Wilcott, then skincell gets the spec points. Otherwise, Yodimus_Prime posted the accurate guess first.

And if Kira does not get her way and Wilcott is or was involved with Cynthia, AND Sin'thea = Cynthia, then skincell would get those points as well. I did not clue in on what skincell said in the latter part of his spec, until after I'd fleshed it out, but again, skincell might have jumped in first there.

We will see how this storyline plays out.....

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:37 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
rmharman wrote:
Rombobjörn wrote:
rmharman wrote:

Correct so far, but:
rmharman wrote:

That refers to the scroll of imprisonment (which ultimately ends up in the hands of Quint, and bound into the Book of E-Ville), not the scroll of un-reading. Nobody at that time knows about the scroll of un-reading, other than Symachus / Yffi. The scroll of un-reading and the blood compass were locked into the box, which doesn't get opened again until centuries later, by Wilden.

I suppose "all remnants of Mokhadun" might also include the box, and so that also might've made its way to Quint (and hence been in the collection that the Vesuvius dig found).

Of course the box is one of the remnants of Mokhadun – but there's no need to speculate about that, because you can see Asahn on a boat holding a box and a scroll (maybe two scrolls). One of the psi-shaped decorations on the box is visible. And yes the box made its way to Quint.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 pm 
I really love how much Kira breaks the mold of tragic characters ensnared by the Farahn. And yeah as Gigaguess points out, it means she's gonna be the most dangerous of the bunch. Also a nice thing about her turning out to be a sociopath is it has the potential to make Wilcott more sympathetic, depending on how this all plays out. Which could be nice, as he's in dire need of redeeming qualities

Speaking of which, I'm excited for the future chapter where we do this all again from Chaz's perspective

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:35 pm 
WLM: mmisbetterthenyou@hotmail
AOL: FIABMike
We’re moving pretty fast through Kira’s part of the story, and a causality of that is skipping why the bug wants her to remove the spell of binding from the book.. have I missed that? Siphy2 removes Cappy-Bo as a test for removing the real spell K’z’k wants out, and Kira removes the page later identified by Gwynn as the spell of binding, but I really have no idea why that’d be significant.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:10 pm 
Well, all we know is what the Liar says:

"To make sure we have exclusively the spells we want in the Book of E-ville, the page of binding must be permanently removed eventually." – but on the next page: "Farahn totally bought the line I fed him on why we're using death-magic to remove pages."

"If she gets that page, she could undo the book of E-Ville and you'd be back to a scroll. [...] Not enough power to manipulate Gwynn or anyone." – but he manipulated several people into trying to summon him when there was only the scroll.

His actual plan seems to be to escape by getting somebody to cast the possession spell (disguised as "revenge of the broken-hearted"), so maybe his true motive for removing the binding spell is to avoid losing access to the possession spell?

Last edited by Rombobjörn on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:36 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Rombobjörn wrote:
(...)but he manipulated several people into trying to summon him when there was only the scroll(...)

Albeit with much more difficulty. I think the point of the book is to make contacting with the outside much easier. After Siphy I was killed, it took a while before the Bug actually succeed at anything.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:10 pm 
There was a statement in the reactions thread for Dec. 2nd that stated that Kira is the most deserving of imprisonment as a book.

The most recent sequence has Kira killing Tombsy.

I argue that we do not know enough about Kira and her relationships to make that statement. We know Tombsy is liked by Wilison; however, for all we know Kira/Tombsy could hate each other as co-workers.

Tombsy warns Kira away from Riff's dad which could be construed as him watching out for her. Have you ever had a co-worker/boss warn you off of something with mock "concern"?

Siphy killed her best friend given no reason. I would state that she is still the worse until we see more of Kira's arc.

Kira killing Tombsy makes me think that she is impulsive and lacks ethical boundaries. The impulsive part of her character reminds me of early Torg without his goofiness.

This sequence is also making feel like there might be a possibility that there is more to Kira, or she is not the third book. She is too decisive. She would enslave the book before it knew what was coming unless she has a change heart/situation like Siphy did which makes her a more emphatic character.

Edit: The possible mock concern from Tombsy assumes that everyone is familiar with the "Spec" idea that his daughter is with Riff's dad.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat