Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:31 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
It's interesting too, because if you think about it "Tombsy" might be a reasonable nickname to derive from someone with the last name "La'Mort.". And if any human could take command of a demon cult, the person who literally wrote the book on fate magic seems like a prime candidate.

Doh! Tombsy might reference LaMort! It seems so obvious, now that you pointed it out! Good catch!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:49 am 
swmartian wrote:
If the current Tombsy is Cynthia's daughter, then she would be not much younger than Riff...

If Tombsy #1 was truly ‘ancient’ (in Riff’s eyes, which could imply that he was even older than Wilcott), then Cynthia could be fairly old. Maybe closer to Wilcott’s age than to Riff.
Sin’thea certainly appears pretty old (when last seen), but who knows? She is old enough to be Mom to Monicruel and Slaughteresa (unless they are ALSO clones, as Oasis is…)
swmartian wrote:
Another point that your question brings up... Unless Pete's favorite female name is Cynthia, it now seems odd that we have two characters of that name: Cynthia (Tombsy) and Sin'thea (La'Mort). Makes you wonder if there is a connection there...? Um.... Oh! Oh???

Between the Cynthia/Sin’thea similarity and the possibility of Tombsy being an appropriate nickname for one with the last name LaMort, speculation is starting to really come together.
And we will likely see Tombsy’s ‘accidental’ death soon, with the location and timing of the latest strips.
(Sorry, no links! Hard to do on mobile interface right now…)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:19 am 
But do the Cult of K'z'k or the Cult of the Release even exist yet, at this point? Wilcott explained that both of those were controlled by the same group -- the one that he, Qaboos, and Tombsy had been running. Did he find the books here because he already knew about the history of Mokhadun (because Yffi / Symachus told him?) or is he about to learn about it because he found the books? It's possible that the cults will get founded _after_ the Vesuvius dig.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:44 am 
ong wrote:
[Sidenote: Has it been specced that Krig is Santa Claus? It seems obvious because of his history with Bun Bun]

I mean, that was almost virtually confirmed here: https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-05-16

Krig Gaul = Kringle

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:30 pm 
Good catches on the Cynthia could possibly be Sin'thea LaMort.

I think that we are about to see the founding of the Cult of the Release/Cult of KZK.

On the four people who are going to attend dinner, I do not put it beyond it being Kira, Wilcott, Tombsy, and Cynthia rather than the guy that name starts with a Q.

I am betting that we will meet the "floozy" and the third book. As someone else stated, I expect that Kira will be the book, and the floozy will be someone else like Cynthia/Sin'thea LaMort.

Which could imply that her daughters are Riff's sisters or step-sisters, but I doubt everything.

Last edited by skincell on Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:34 pm 
rmharman wrote:
But do the Cult of K'z'k or the Cult of the Release even exist yet, at this point? Wilcott explained that both of those were controlled by the same group -- the one that he, Qaboos, and Tombsy had been running. Did he find the books here because he already knew about the history of Mokhadun (because Yffi / Symachus told him?) or is he about to learn about it because he found the books? It's possible that the cults will get founded _after_ the Vesuvius dig.

I am betting that the Release is founded after the dig because I am vaguely remembering that the tablet of future events is what got the Release group founded. I think that the Cult of K'z'k could be from the group in Ancient Greece that we saw earlier.

Do we have an origin for demons?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:00 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I think Ozzid is possibly the only one that's not directly related to K'Z'K.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:27 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
swmartian wrote:
I was originally thinking that Cynthia was communicating with Wilcott through the Book

It seems unlikely that this helicopter was piloted by someone trapped in a book.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:58 am 
rmharman wrote:
But do the Cult of K'z'k or the Cult of the Release even exist yet, at this point?

I don't think we know about that just yet. One of them, or a proto-version could exist and draw Wilcott in. After all, Allie was fighting crazy stupid cultists centuries ago.

So either, like you said, Wilcott and co. discover the books and start the cult, or they somehow get involved in some pre-existing cult beef. To me it seems more likely that one or two cults would be keeping an eye out for the discovery of these artifacts and send agents to work towards their nefarious ends.

zhecht wrote:
Krig Gaul = Kringle

Oh you're right! That's one of the incidents I had in mind as proof, but had forgotten how clear it was.

Also... I will ask this and I'm sure I'll end up feeling dumb: I don't get how Tombsy could be a nickname for L'M- OOOOH!

I literally got it as I was typing this very post and will post it for posterity.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:10 am 
Pretty sure Kira is book number 3 now. Probably after Farahn and the Bug get her to kill Tombsy, which looks like it won't take much convincing.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:39 am 
superhunnybear wrote:
(I don’t think this really qualifies as ‘spec’…)
Given the timeline (and location) of the current comics, I suspect we may soon [have some possible spec appear] (and likely led to [some more spec as well -Z])

I posted this over in Reactions for Nov. 24, 2021, and, well, apparently Z ruled that it WAS spec, and blocked out some parts.
This its what followed...

If you couldn't care less (which is perfectly understandable), feel free to move on to the next post - nothing more to see here.

If you need some help in falling asleep, this may be just the thing! (No medical claims are inferred or implied...)

**** PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK! ****

So...
I replied as follows:
(But please understand that I meant most of it to be a bit of silly ranting, not angry ranting.... even as I was tilting at windmills...)
superhunnybear wrote:
Short answer: Whatever... seems pedantic in this case...

TLDR answer:
Considering that the two 'spec' blocks above are obscuring are actually only referring to time periods, events and characters that we already know about from past strips, I am surprised it was actually blocked!
Is it really spec to say that some details or answers that we had hoped to see more info - without actually describing a speculative 'this is the detail I think will be revealed', but instead saying 'Pete has brought us (via a look back in time that we know only spotty details about so far, and boy oh boy, doesn't it look like we should know more very soon?!?
(I'm being especially vague on purpose, but by the same standard, perhaps even this gripe is likely considered spec, as would posting [word for word] 'soon we will see the characters we like in another installment of the strip doing things that we like to see them do'...

Ok, in reality, not really upset, just bemused that the original was marked as spec and spec.

And, thinking that the discussion about what should be considered spec could use a bright and clear definition that is easily accessible, or better, a review about how strict things should be when it comes to avoiding spec here.

To that end (and as an experiment in finding out what happens to the post here in Reactions), I am going to copy this post and repost it in the Megaspec, (before it can possibly be marked as spec and neutered here ...) and see if it prompts meaningful response, debate, or just sinks like a lead balloon (and not the one on Mythbusters... oops! should have posted a spoiler warning for late-arriving fans of Mythbusters!)

After doing that, I am heading to bed, because I suspect that the (spec about an astronomical object) will (spec about an event that hasn't happened yet, even though it has occured daily since time memorial) to start a new day.

PS: I actually do appreciate your efforts, Z! This situation just struck me as very silly, but it at least prompted me to think about what spec is or isn't (or should be or not...)

If you are still reading this, I salute you, give yourself a pat on the back!
(Alternatively, I pity you the headache you must now have. Give yourself some painkillers...)

Now, the challenge is to make it to the end, without falling asleep or going insane! Best of luck!

Turns out I didn't 'head to bed' so soon. Instead I edited and re-edited THIS post. Wasn't even making sense to me...

Oh, before I forget, the spoof spec is [sun], [rise] if it wasn't blatantly obvious. It is no longer spec. It rose...

To be very clear, I had NO desire or intention to bash Zillitain, and that remains true here.

But perhaps this will generate more discussion - here or elsewhere - about what the current standards of 'spec/not spec' are in the Reactions thread, and whether they are worth revising or not. Maybe sometimes Ref Zillitain might consider 'upon review' to just pick up the flag without applying the penalty (American Football reference, in case some are not familiar...)

Or, maybe others can show me the errors of my ways.

(Maybe this is interesting just to me and the other voices in my head...)

As best I can paraphrase, the two blocked 'specs' (which I can no longer see to copy and paste, either) were:
1) Given that the last few strips are obviously focusing on the events just prior to the accident that claimed Tombsy the elder's life, we are likely to learn more details about that event.
2) We will likely soon know whether it was an accident or not.

I still don't think the point 1 is speculation, and I certainly didn't mean it as speculation.
But, I obviously I did say 'I suspect' that we will learn more information about that event soon. And 'suspect' and 'speculation' can go hand in hand. In fact, that is actually why I said "I don’t think this really QUALIFIES as spec".

My intention was to share my own REACTION to the realization of the who, the what and the where in this and the previous strip. Something along the lines of this: We know the 'accident' event happened, and we know just a little bit of detail about it, but, I recognize something! Pete has brought the right characters to the perfect place and time to reveal more about the 'accident'. In fact, if the story were to move on without revealing at least some little tidbit of information, that would truly be surprising.

And since that was my reaction, and I wasn't making any guess on what specifically we would learn (well, at this point, but see below) I posted in Reactions.

Certainly, Pete may merely be setting up a tease, and he could intend to withhold the bulk of details for longer (or even forever.) Obviously he has frequently teased us before by revisiting a subject/event/character without giving us all of the information at that time (will we ever learn more about Bun Bun's mother?), but we always get something.
There are obvious exceptions, like the old 'No Content Sundays', Harry Potter spoofs, and guest artist runs. And then there are the R.E.C.A.P.s...
But most R.E.C.A.P.s confirm various facts and connections that were previously just implied, or hard to confirm, or even to grasp without archive diving in various places.
And while we have traveled back in time at this point of the story, there is so far no indication that this is part of any ongoing recap. These are new (to us) points of view and even settings and situations, whereas any recap would be limited to facts already known. From the start of this backward time jump, new info was been revealed. I merely was struck (reacted to) the opportunity that was being unrolling. And that maybe this is the time that we get to learn more about one of the biggest events from this time period.

We already know:
- The event referred to as the 'accident' involved the group of Wilcott, Tombsy the elder, and Quaboos (not sure of spelling), although we have only spotty details.
- Current scenes are clearly set in the time frame as that event. Even though we didn't previously know the year there have been enough recent reveals that we should be able to safely say that the current scenes are within days of the event. I think it is probably still unclear if we are already witnessing events on the exact same DAY, but that doesn't change my point.)
- They are also clearly portrayed as set in the same location as that event (The sinkhole on the other side of Vesuvius from Pompeii.)

Given all of that, it stood to reason that the story had been positioned to reveal at least some kind of additional details related to the 'accident', no? Maybe not any particular details we might want most, but something.

Anyone agree so far?

On to the 2nd point.

Well... in retrospect, I realized later that the 2nd point (i.e. was the 'accident' really an accident) sure seems to be speculation, at least much more obviously - and to a greater degree - than point #1.

In the absence of any indications that the 'accident' was anything OTHER THAN truly an accident, it is appropriate to spec-block the question 'is it really an accident' in a spec-free REACTIONS forum. In contrast, such questioning is obviously completely fair play here in the Megaspec thread.

When I posted in Reactions, I was sure that this HAD been questioned in the strip itself.
So I didn't even consider that it was speculation.
But Z blocked this, too, so I had to consider why, if I wanted to make any rebuttal. If I wanted to do that, I would need more than my own recollections as proof.
Alas, it turns out that I can't find any evidence that any character or Pete's narration has ever questioned that 'narrative' of it being truly an accident.

Mea culpa...

So, if Z had spec blocked ONLY that 2nd part ('we should soon know accident/not an accident'), would I have let it go without comment?

Well, the fact remains that I DID question both points at the time. But since them, I have done a fairly good job of convincing myself that I messed up in doing so.

I do still hold out a tiny sliver of hope that my recollection was actually fairly correct, and that the proof is still out there. But as of now, it seems highly likely that I intermingled speculative discussions with my memory of facts in canon.

By the way, since this IS the Megaspec thread...
The accident/not accident also immediately preceded Wilcott's disappearance (but not Wilcott's death, as Riff used to believe.) I foresee more details soon regarding that, too! I am not prepared to speculate on what those details will be.

In any case, all of this diatribe was about making some points about degrees of speculation and is it worth reconsidering any of it. Plus a little humor to make at least myself smile or giggle.
But it was not about any attempt at fighting to the end about all of this silliness in order to 'win'...

So I shall now sign off, to sleep, perchance to dream...

Plus, my computer must be running low on screen ink by this point... better save some!

So again, my bad, and my apologies if Z or anyone has been offended, or if anyone now needs a lobotomy or counseling for reading thru this. (But I can't cover those expenses, so sorry for a 3rd time!)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:54 am 
Dude, I didn't read 98% that, but you're putting in waaaay too much effort here.

You basically said that you think we're about to see Tombsy die. That's spec. We know he's dead in our current timeline, but now people will be reading the current storyline and anticipating his death. Thus, potential spoilers.

Many of us accidentally spec things. It happens. Nobody will give it another thought. Go sleep sleep it off, lol. It'll only get weird if you keep talking about it.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:44 pm 
Yeah, if your spec gets blocked over there just repost it here. No biggie.

It would be pretty interesting if both Riff and father had bespectacled women pining after them who both also became entrapped by the Book of E-Ville. Would also explain more about why Farahn is so interested in Gwynn; she fits in as a hybrid of Siphy and Kira.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:03 am 
Today's comic confirms that they found The Box WITH the book. Which makes sense for simplicity's sake. My original spec had been that his crew finds the box first and it leads Wilcott to the book. If they're together though, that implies Allie had the box in her house since I can't think of how it would've gotten there otherwise.

It also implies that there aren't any cults or demons to think about yet. Which also simplifies things.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:35 am 
Spirantz wrote:
Dude, I didn't read 98% that, but you're putting in waaaay too much effort here.

You basically said that you think we're about to see Tombsy die. That's spec. We know he's dead in our current timeline, but now people will be reading the current storyline and anticipating his death. Thus, potential spoilers.

Many of us accidentally spec things. It happens. Nobody will give it another thought. Go sleep sleep it off, lol. It'll only get weird if you keep talking about it.

Thanks, Spirantz, I do hear you.
Sometimes I find that putting 'waaay too much effort' was rewarding to me, if only as a challenging mental exercise.
Occasionally it proves to be interesting to other people, too.

But if it IS bothering people, I can stop, or cut back.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat