Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:30 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Lord Golbez wrote:
I don't have complete spec on this yet, but I think Yffi must be from Mohkadun. He knows too much about everything to just be some wizard who came along in the Middle Ages.

Either that or maybe the Never.

A counterargument would be that Torg knows most of the same things Yffi knows and he's just some guy from the modern era. But that's just because Torg has bungled his way into firsthand experience of all this stuff. How did Yffi learn all this?

I think a simple explanation is that he know of the fate-web (like other seers before and after him) an drew many of his knowledges from it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 am 
Yes, that's plausible. I hadn't realized so many could see the web.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:24 am 
Prediction: Yffi is a time-traveling Bun-Bun in the Blacksoul suit.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:30 am 
I think what we have here is a simply scrying misunderstanding. Iffy looks at the web, sees that the Scribe is fated to be killed by Chaz, assumes that it's going to happen in his present and is now taking steps to avoid it, not realizing that what he's seeing is a fate that will happen hundreds of years into the future.

Depending on the Scribe reacts to this, it might even be a self fulfilling prophecy sort of situation.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:37 pm 
CodeBlack wrote:
I think what we have here is a simply scrying misunderstanding. Iffy looks at the web, sees that the Scribe is fated to be killed by Chaz, assumes that it's going to happen in his present and is now taking steps to avoid it, not realizing that what he's seeing is a fate that will happen hundreds of years into the future.

Depending on the Scribe reacts to this, it might even be a self fulfilling prophecy sort of situation.

Certainly seems to be the case.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:07 pm 
Indeed.
Although, there is a good point to be made that Yffi's identity is probably important to the story, since his identity has stayed thoroughly concealed this entire time. I know when it was first stated that no one can look on his face, I definitely expected that to be a setup for a joke on the next page. The fact that it's being taken at face-value, pardon the pun, makes me think there's a serious reason to hide his identity from us (I still think the "no one can look on my face" line is a joke setup tho)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:39 am 
Could be that Yffi is someone who's not allowed to interfere in some way with certain events, and uses the "don't look at my face" to make sure no one knows.

I would've gone so far to say it's one of the gang in disguise, but Iffy's mannerisms suggest a degree of subtlety we don't see too often from any of them.

Maybe a Mokhadun God?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:37 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
I wonder if Yffi will try to pull a Quint on the scribe, asking her to kill him.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:56 am 
Ugh, so many sad and tragic fates in this strip. Remember when it used to be just pop culture parodies and internet jokes?
I mean, I can see that Pete's plans tend towards the overall happy ending (of course, you never know), but all this business with the Scribe and the trapped Book-women reminded me of how sad the fate of many characters tends to be.
[And while worthy interesting characters meet untimely deaths, Sam persists while showing minimal character development, ugh].

But I have a larger speculation on the ending, deriving from the realisation that the ending is likely to be bittersweet in some ways. Do you think Poopypants the Destroyer could actually win, ending the spark? I've been wondering if KZK, i.e. the end, isn't also a metatextual device signifying the end of the strip, rushing to wrap everything to a close while the characters keep spinning out new tangents and new stories.

In such a bittersweet scenario we could have an "ending" of the Spark that would be a sort of a compromise/ new balance between the pillars of reality, perhaps a whole new arrangement away from the Web. And our gang, having seen the process play out in the Anima world could be perfectly placed to be the pantheon of the next spark.

Last edited by ong on Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:56 am 
Don't forget, even when Sluggy was pop culture parodies, characters died so often that fans could donate to be killed off in a strip and it wouldn't affect the pacing at all :P

That said, broadly speaking, it's hard to imagine Sluggy ending without the world also ending, so I don't disagree with your spec

Meanwhile - here we are, years later again, and now in the Carpathian basin. ie in the shadow of the Carpathian Mountains, famous home of Dracula. It's not clear if he existed in Sluggy history or not, but this is yet another reference to vampires within this storyline. Plus all the talk of a spell that combines blood and death magic - vampires sure do seem to be a combination of blood and death magic!

This has gotta be the start of the Strakoi, right?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:12 am 
Hmm, what if this "hidden face" thing is hinting at time-travel?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:19 am 
ong wrote:
[And while worthy interesting characters meet untimely deaths, Sam persists while showing minimal character development, ugh].

Ah, Sam. The only reliable person in the sluggyverse. The world may change, but not Sam da man! :sam:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:37 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
(...)and now in the Carpathian basin. ie in the shadow of the Carpathian Mountains, famous home of Dracula. It's not clear if he existed in Sluggy history or not, (...)

Signs point to yes:
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2016-05-03
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2016-05-04
Though known under the name of Drakku.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:05 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Don't forget, even when Sluggy was pop culture parodies, characters died so often that fans could donate to be killed off in a strip and it wouldn't affect the pacing at all :P

That said, broadly speaking, it's hard to imagine Sluggy ending without the world also ending, so I don't disagree with your spec

Meanwhile - here we are, years later again, and now in the Carpathian basin. ie in the shadow of the Carpathian Mountains, famous home of Dracula. It's not clear if he existed in Sluggy history or not, but this is yet another reference to vampires within this storyline. Plus all the talk of a spell that combines blood and death magic - vampires sure do seem to be a combination of blood and death magic!

This has gotta be the start of the Strakoi, right?

Strakoi are Romanian vampires, presumably, and ones that have been shown to wield blood magic at that. I would say it's highly likely.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:23 am 
Hey, umm... Wouldn't it be just bonkers if Yffi turned out to be Steve?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat