Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:33 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Monday is here and is hoping its day is today.

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Please remember to vote each day.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:43 am 
Ohh, we are coming full circle!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:42 am 
There's the Book of Uhglee sittong right beside the Book of Eville. We knew Riff's dad had to acquire it somehow, but this raises some questions. Specifically, how did it get there and when? It wasn't there when Ozzid dropped off the Book of Eville and we knew it couldn't have been there all along anyway, since Siphy had it at some point.

Edit:. Oops. I didn't look carefully enough. It was there when Ozzid dropped it off, just resting in a different position.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:18 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
*looking at the last link of the pink info-box*
Ooooh, so, that's where Ozzid decided to bring the books? Guess he was feeling a bit homesick...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:35 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
Lord Golbez wrote:
it couldn't have been there all along anyway, since Siphy had it at some point.

Siphy had it at some point before she travelled north. She seems to have brought the three other books but left the Book of Uhglëë behind.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:40 am 
793 years (and 4 hours 42 minutes since that seems somewhat exact)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:54 am 
Is panel 6 meant to be a subtle Mr. Magoo reference?
(Wilcott isn’t blind, but he is an heir of the blindness curse on Symachus, and Magoo was known for telling himself he’d ‘done it again’…)

Speaking of blind as a bat, is it just coincidental that Gwynn is so vision-challenged, or is there more to it that I have forgotten (and haven’t found in an archive dive)???
Or…

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:56 am 
Gwynn doesn't have to hide her eyes like Riff though. Seems to be regular myopia. I also wonder if Symachus' god-inflicted curse would be so easily remedied by magic.

The implications of Gwynn being a descendant of Symachus also seem kind of ewww, even though realistically if you have to go that many thousands of years back to find a common ancestor of Riff and Gwynn, they'd probably be among the most genetically distinct on the planet.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:15 pm 
Hmm...1972 surprises me a little, since Riff remembers his father's Vesuvius expedition:

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2020-12-04

And it was established in the Carniverous Smurf storyline that Riff and Torg were kids in the 80s:

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1998-11-20

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:38 pm 
The answer to "How old ARE the main Sluggy characters anyway?" seems eternally stretchy. By some measures they'd all have to be in their mid 40s (at least) by now, but they don't seem like it.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:52 am 
I'm just assuming that they're all borderline 30'ish now. With Zoe being a few years younger than the rest.

Zoe graduated college in the strip, and a number of years have definitely gone by in the storyline. I'd wager she's in her mid to late 20's.
Pete was always going for timeless. But he's clearly indicated a few years has gone by, so that's my best stab at it.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:00 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
Pete was always going for timeless. But he's clearly indicated a few years has gone by, so that's my best stab at it.

Right, in certain strips he actually specifies years where things happened in-universe so it does seem clear that time has passed since then.

But of course, that's no guarantee the current time is actually our "real" time now since there have been time-travel and dimension-hopping storylines along the way.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:00 am 
I'm just assuming they've hit their equivalent of the Bart Simpson age. Forever in the 4th grade, or forever ambiguously 20-something adults, until the end of the series when you realize everyone must be 40 by now, but somehow still experiencing the same drama and problems as those in their early 20's :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:13 pm 
Or maybe it's like Marvel Comics continuity. The X-Men clearly aged out of teenage range at some point since the 60s, but haven't aged past their 30s since then.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions