Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:43 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Friday would like to give Pete a hand, but it has nothing to attach those hands to. It is very unarmed. So it's not very handy.

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Please remember to vote each day.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:09 am 
curious. poor latin but what languages were used in the books that edda was studying? considering they consisted of scrolls from a time of siphy's grandmother.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:17 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
tube_rat wrote:
curious. poor latin but what languages were used in the books that edda was studying? considering they consisted of scrolls from a time of siphy's grandmother.

I think it was new scrolls she worked on and write for Yffi. So, language of her time.

Not sure what Spervari (or spervarii) could mean. Google say "to look for" (maybe "Watch out!"?) but I am not sure it's reliable.

The rest of Siphy's words are the same she said when she was released. The years really did a number on her.

Last edited by GUIGUI on Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:33 am 
Seeing the booked women try to interact and resist is both heart-warming and sad given how they end up.

Hope Edda has a plan in mind and that her actions after this point have somehow shaped developments. I wonder what role (if any) she had to play during present day events and the interactions of the gang with the Book.

Could Edda have been the person behind what we have so far been calling "the will of the Book" as opposed to the will of Farahn or Poopypants the Destroyer? Perhaps when our heroes discover the Book wants its pages back, it is really Edda who is guiding Gwynn towards them.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:41 am 
What's worse than living with two forced pseudo-wives that hate you, an emotionally manipulative bug, in an empty hellscape for thousands of years?

I mean, I'm not condoning his actions, but I see why he's crying in the corner!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Spirantz wrote:
What's worse than living with two forced pseudo-wives that hate you, an emotionally manipulative bug, in an empty hellscape for thousands of years?(...)

Being one of the two women?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:03 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
tube_rat wrote:

I think it was new scrolls she worked on and write for Yffi. So, language of her time.

yes and no. she worked on creating new scrolls but her work involved copying. she even learned to compose new spells. you have to have to be able to read them in order to do that. but perhaps reading is not the same as speaking it since she didn't know how to cast.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:56 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
Not sure what Spervari (or spervarii) could mean. Google say "to look for" (maybe "Watch out!"?) but I am not sure it's reliable.

Huh. I looked this up once before and Spervari was Latin for Sparrow -- her friend that she murdered for the Bug. But now I can't find it at all. Musta hallucinated it.

EDIT: Aha! "SpervariI" is "sparrowhawk."

ong wrote:
Could Edda have been the person behind what we have so far been calling "the will of the Book" as opposed to the will of Farahn or Poopypants the Destroyer?

I started to say No, because she wasn't IN the Book. But she was trapped in another book that's been shelved for centuries, and apparently THAT book existed in the in-Book reality that Farahn and the Bug inhabit. So it's not impossible. But I don't think she had any control over the Book's power. I think that was all Farahn.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:25 pm 
Just a reminder that After Gwynn released K'Z'K and he was sent to medieval times, the Book was without K'Z'K (who only remained in the back of her mind) So, with just Farhan in it.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:05 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:

That seems a fairly accurate translation to me, given that Siphy seems to be looking past Edda in panel 2, to where K'Z'K appears in panel 3. So she's saying, "Look out! The Monster is coming!"

Also, Edda is awesome, standing up to the Bug like that!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:24 pm 
I don't think the "will of the book" (as distinct from Farahn) is a person at all, but rather merely a manifestation of the death magic enchantment Quint placed on it.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:07 pm 
Hm. My Latin is awfully rusty these days. I certainly didn't recognize spervarii. The usual classical Latin word for sparrow is passer, as in e.g. Catullus.

However, I did find esperverium or espervarius listed as a word for sparrow in a word-resource for medieval (manorial-records) Latin. That looks like the right tree to bark up (especially since medieval Latin is full of spelling variations). It might be more of a medieval word (given where I found it), or it might also be classical; my Latin has gotten too junky to know these things anymore.

Spervarii wouldn't be related to look out!, used of something dangerous. The classical Latin verb sperare can mean to look for, but in an abstract, hopeful sense - better translated as to look forward to. The primary meaning of sperare is to hope - and in any case, spervarii doesn't look like a verb form.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:36 pm 
i wouldn't place a lot of emphasis on how many i's are there. given the second thing she says contains 3 r's and 4 i's. like an extended sparooowwww. or something.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions