Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:40 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Time to see if Friday is the end of a wonderful week. Maybe not for Edda, though...

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:12 am 
good job "mister y"?? the bug knows something we don't.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:26 am 
And so one story closes to open again long ago for our heroes in the Cave of Yffi, and very recently, to the sad fate of Edda...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:04 am 
"A better fate than that which you deserve"?? And again, Pete opens a narrative crack into what could be months of storytelling. Did Edda do something horrible off-panel at some point? Is Yffi just really mad at her giving in to the Bug? Is Yffi mad because Edda followed his orders and gave more power to the Bug/Book/Farahan? Did she snitch his food from his plate at dinner once?

And I read the story as Bug and Yffi had a deal, and Yffi just broke it. For his own reasons, which will bear fruit a long time in the future.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:37 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
Biscuit wrote:
Did Edda do something horrible off-panel at some point?

Nothing that prevented Chaz from judging her innocent apparently, so I don't understand what he means either.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:35 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
The only way interpret that is that people who break his rules, especially seeing his face, usually suffer something much more painful.

I wonder if Edda will now be frozen in time like Siphy II seemed to be up until Farhan unleashed her on the gang. When Edda appeared, in the present, it seemed like she had been through worse than her current live up to that point, beyond just being an unconscious prisoners.
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2021-08-06

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:28 pm 
I note that only women have wielded the book's magic. Could it be that Farahn will only speak to those who remind him of Siphy?

Biscuit wrote:
And again, Pete opens a narrative crack into what could be months of storytelling. Did Edda do something horrible off-panel at some point?

You missed the part where Edda attacked him with magic and broke all three of his rules.

Rombobjörn wrote:
Nothing that prevented Chaz from judging her innocent apparently, so I don't understand what he means either.

The magic that upholds Chaz deemed her good because her motivation was good, even though she made a mistake. Master Yffi deemed her guilty because the crime should be punished no matter what the motivation behind it. I believe both of these are correct. If you mean well you are good, even though what you think is well is wrong. Two people fighting each other because of their principles can be good at the same time, even if one of them is wrong, or both are. But as a general rule you must punish crimes without burrowing down in motivations. However, many are still set free because of their motivations, or because the court just wants to let them off the hook and uses supposed motivations as an excuse, of course. There can be much debate on this matter.

Nevertheless, it is not at all odd that Chaz would deem her innocent while Yffi would still punish her. Indeed, Yffi still has sympathy for her, knowing she was misled, so he would perhaps agree with Chaz' assessment, while still saying such deeds must be punished.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:08 am 
Silverwalker wrote:
I note that only women have wielded the book's magic. Could it be that Farahn will only speak to those who remind him of Siphy?

Not entirely true. Riff has cast spells from the book, and considering his father has been shown to use magic, he likely did as well. Quint also cast magic, but I can't recall if any of the spells he used were in the book at the time he used them and, of course, the book was only completed with his death anyway. I do believe the spell for clearing Farahn's mind was in the book though (how else would K'Z'K have known about it). However, there generally seems to be a vast gap in proficiency between those who just cast spells from the book and those who accept Farahn's blessing. The sole exception to that is Allie who laughed at Farahn's suggestion that he had anything to offer her and then used the spell of domination on him.

Edit: Yep. Just checked the archives. Quint definitely cast the claritos incantation from the book. So that's at least two men who have used the book's magic without the help of Farahn. It's doubtful any have used it with his help though.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 pm 
There is a problem with the date in the info shield: "by Pete on 12/31/1969"

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions