Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Time to see if Wednesday is the middle of a wonderful week. Maybe not for Yffi, though...

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:16 am 
I was wrong. It isn't death by zit. You need skin to have a zit.

(Plus there's the whole we watched her die in the future thing going on...)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:21 am 
Yffi could have been honest with her all along. But noooo, why give a person the information to understand why the rules exist when you can abuse their trust and pretend for years you'll honour your promises to them when you have no intention of doing so, giving the Bug a lever to turn them against you.

Poor Edda, she had no chance when both sides were using her.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:21 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
pelrun wrote:
Yffi could have been honest with her all along. But noooo, why give a person the information to understand why the rules exist when you can abuse their trust and pretend for years you'll honour your promises to them when you have no intention of doing so, giving the Bug a lever to turn them against you.

Poor Edda, she had no chance when both sides were using her.

It's not like Yffi had promised her he would explain himself to him. In the endhe remain the one who was honest to him.

Side note, and I know this kind of thing should be kept to the war on typo thread, but seeing how it really make the meaning confusing, I think it's worth pointing out that Pete might have done a typo and meant to write "HIS Queen Siphaniana" instead of "THIS Queen Siphaniana".

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:57 am 
Well done story. Poor Edda - she made her choices. She could have made better ones if Yffi had given her the tea about the Bug and Farahan.

So, my questions from the start are starting to fall. We know how she recognized Chaz. Now we know her name, just as she leaves this world, only to return for minutes far in the future.

Still don't know if anyone left a sandwich for poor Kiki back in Italy.

And I don't remember any 'Lich' in the Sluggyverse ... off to lose another morning looking through archives!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:36 am 
It is so sad to read when you know it ends in tragedy. Poor Edda, we knew you for too short of a time.

Perhaps the Scribe would not tell the truth about the book because there was too much temptation of gaining the book's power. But that is a perilous path, wraught with danger. Only one wizardress managed to shackle the book, all else had their ambitions brought to naught.

GUIGUI wrote:
I think it's worth pointing out that Pete might have done a typo and meant to write "HIS Queen Siphaniana" instead of "THIS Queen Siphaniana".

I think it means he doesn't know who Siphaniana is, but he knows Farahn is looking for her. So it's, "You are not this Queen Siphaniana he keeps talking about".

I wonder how Farahn ever got to be king. Did his parents really not have any other sons? Or maybe he turned worse while on the job. It can happen to the best of us.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:58 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
So Edda is her name, and she's about to be bound into a book. We never heard her recite any poetry, so I guess she's a Prose Edda.

There are several hypotheses on where the title "Edda" came from. Perhaps the truth is that Snorri named his work after Yffi's legendary but ill-fated scribe?

Edda looked upon Yffis face, and now she shall suffer a terrible fate. Anise, Basil and Coriander can also see his face now. They will become gates and spend most of their time waiting for someone to try to enter the Cave of Yffi. That fate also seems rather terrible.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:09 am 
Even though I knew how her story pretty much ended, I was still kind of hoping she had listened to Yffi. That maybe the book had taken her a different way. *sigh* That she went down fighting like Siphy did.
I feel bad for her. I DO wonder why the wizard couldn't tell her the story, but it was probably to protect her. *sigh*

Last edited by kromiller on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:24 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Maybe Yffi letting Edda hanging about teaching magic was a test of will, to see if she could be trusted with such power while having sufficient strength of will.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:01 am 
Biscuit wrote:
Well done story. Poor Edda - she made her choices. She could have made better ones if Yffi had given her the tea about the Bug and Farahan.

So, my questions from the start are starting to fall. We know how she recognized Chaz. Now we know her name, just as she leaves this world, only to return for minutes far in the future.

And I don't remember any 'Lich' in the Sluggyverse ... off to lose another morning looking through archives!

The Lich has a blindfold across his eyes. I won't say, because spec, but I think that's the final clue to tell us exactly who Yffi is.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:28 pm 
Wow, cool art in these last two strips. I'm really liking it.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:50 pm 
I just noticed, it's hard to tell, at first, but in the first frame, you can actually tell Yffi has an expression of sadness.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:38 pm 
Having gone to school in Lichfield, I feel this explains a lot.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am 
Yffi managed to turn loyal and faithful protégé against himself. That's quite impressive.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:44 pm 
eldion wrote:
Biscuit wrote:

The Lich has a blindfold across his eyes. I won't say, because spec, but I think that's the final clue to tell us exactly who Yffi is.

I was wondering about the same 'spec', myself.

From what I have read, a lich was historically another name for a corpse.

When referring to the undead, a lich is either a being who died and is now undead due to some supernatural means - for instance a mummy [spec], a zombie [spec, spec] or a vampire [spec, spec, spec...] OR at least one who 'lost' their soul' due to an especially evil (and purposeful) act, even if they may NOT have actually 'died' before transforming into an undead creature. (This seems to be the D&D, and Warcraft approach, and we know Pete loves Warcraft, right?)

Whereas (Spec) was cursed to age incredibly slowly, perhaps even to the point of appearing like a corpse (but not actually a corpse)?

So, there are quite a few questions remaining, even as we learned a lot about Edda...
• Is the Lich actually a mummy, a zombie, or a vampire? If so, anyone we know?
• In referring to 'The Lich, The Undeath', does Edda mean that Yffi is a known (named), supernatural being, or simply mean that Yffi is an undead creature of undetermined type?
• Did Yffi actually die as part of becoming undead, or did he lose his soul in order to become undead?
• Of, is he not actually undead in either of those senses at all, despite his loch-like appearance? (In other words, is he alive, but incredibly aged?)

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lich#In_popular_culture
Also link from there to 'undead', and to 'Lich (Dungeons & Dragons)'

• Might as well throw this in, too! As mentioned by others, is there a typo, and should it read 'His Queen Siphiana' or is 'This Queen Siphiana' truly correct? (The former expresses specific knowledge of the Farahn/Siphiana relationship, while the latter is more of a general acknowledgement of her name possibly without understanding the relationship.)

• And, yes, what about poor Kiki?!?!

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions