Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:36 am 
Biscuit wrote:
Rombobjörn wrote:
ong wrote:
I hope we'll find out eventually how Chaz got from Mokhadun to Mercia.

Isn't it obvious? African swallow (laden) to France, then European swallow (also laden) to Mercia.

If you knew how long the trips took, however, you could calculate an answer to one of the most vexing questions in cinematic history!

If only they could just afford a horse, the math would be so much easier...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:14 pm 
Kazpermon wrote:
ong wrote:
On Yffi's reaction, perhaps he saw in the Web that the scribe is fated to be killed by Chaz and takes away to protect her?

Killed by the sword, I imagine and that's all I'll say on that. I think I know who the scribe is now.

I don't even think that's SPEC. A character asking "I wonder who that mystery person was?", followed by a flashback to that person's origin story, is a very common trope.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:07 pm 
I'm a little surprised that a connection can be made to the sword via what appears to be the fate web, given that Chaz operates "outside the hands of fate".

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-05-05

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:16 am 
eldion wrote:
I'm a little surprised that a connection can be made to the sword via what appears to be the fate web, given that Chaz operates "outside the hands of fate".

Well, technically "the hand that wields [Chaz]," is outside the hands of fate, but granted, Chaz has to be there to be wielded...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:30 am 
So Krohnus seemed to say that Chaz isn't bound by the fate-web. On the other hand the magic that powers Chaz is dependent on the fate-web, and now Yffi sees Chaz linked to Scribe by the fate-web. How can this apparent contradiction be resolved?

Soco and Schlock both said that magic alters the fate-web. Maybe that's what Krohnus meant: A magic object like Chaz can be used to do things that the fate-web wouldn't normally allow. But Chaz's magic is rule-bound. It's not wild magic that can just do whatever. It can only do a few specific things. It glows, talks, kills and enhances its user's fencing skill. This may mean that Chaz is at least partially bound by the fate-web. Scribe's fate may then be a thing that Chaz can't change.

There's another possible interpretation: Krohnus said "This sword came from the Never! The hand wielding it operates outside the hands of fate!" He may have meant that those two statements were connected. If the fate-web doesn't cover the Never, then it may be that Chaz arrived fully charged with magic from the Never and independent of the fate-web, but over the millennia since then it has subsisted on fate-magic and become bound by the web. In that case Krohnus' statement was true when he said it, but is no longer true in Yffi's time. One thing that speaks against this hypothesis is that Kozoaku was supposedly bound by the fate-web and imprisoned in the Never. That seems to suggest that the fate-web covers the Never.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:54 pm 
Biscuit wrote:
Rombobjörn wrote:
ong wrote:
I hope we'll find out eventually how Chaz got from Mokhadun to Mercia.

Isn't it obvious? African swallow (laden) to France, then European swallow (also laden) to Mercia.

If you knew how long the trips took, however, you could calculate an answer to one of the most vexing questions in cinematic history!

But how do you compensate for being laden?

superhunnybear wrote:
eldion wrote:

Well, technically "the hand that wields [Chaz]," is outside the hands of fate, but granted, Chaz has to be there to be wielded...

That's just a fancy way of saying when Chaz kills it's outside of the control of fate. But just like Oasis, fate can control events around them to guide things in a certain way. The fate spiders killed people with Oasis without directly influencing Oasis. Perhaps he can similarly see that she will meet her end with Chaz even if the actual act lies outside the web. The web can show her actions, which would be to suicide herself on Chaz. The result of that is predictable even without Chaz being controlled by the web, just as the result of Monica wearing an hC hat in front of Oasis is predictable.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:48 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
But how do you compensate for being laden?

Beats me. I haven't got laden in years...

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions