Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:12 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Yes! Let the Tuesday flow through you!

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:37 am 
I spot Chaz!

"Indeed." has never been followed by something good...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:06 am 
Yahoo Messenger: 11
Gonna totally suck for the second son.

May the river never run dry.

Were these references to Torg's super ultra Caucasian-ness as a result his Norse/Viking heritage?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:38 am 
I like the way the Scribe is drawn in the first panel -- really shows both her wide-eyed wonder at all the new things she's seeing, and at the same time how happy it makes her.

Although the two eagle banners confused me at first, until I realized they aren't part of the scene, but part of the transition to show our duo is now in Mercia, with it's Roman history. And, apparently, ruggedly handsome citizens. But I don't advise the Scribe to add 'nose' to what her eyes are enjoying.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:44 am 
Interesting little quibble: The term Norse wasn't used until the 16th century at the earliest, well past the time period depicted. Probably just a minor oversight or modernified translation, but it could mean *spec*.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:24 pm 
Mathwhiz90601 wrote:
Interesting little quibble: The term Norse wasn't used until the 16th century at the earliest, well past the time period depicted. Probably just a minor oversight or modernified translation, but it could mean *spec*.

Indeed yes.
Tamworth today is in Staffordshire and its castle dates from the 12th century. A few minor points:
1. The Mercians copied the Romans in having a military dominated government and awarding plots of land to soldiers who survived till retirement age.
2. After the destruction of Tamworth by the Vikings, Aethelflaed daughter of Alfred took it over, rebuilt it and then made it her home.
3. The inhabitants of Tamworth made attempts to keep out the Danes, including paying Danegeld, which were unsuccessful. As a result it declined.
I am not sure that claiming Viking ancestry would go down too well in Tamworth, in our reality.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:01 pm 
Due to what was established in The Storm Breaker Saga twenty years ago, Trents, Mercians, Vikings and Northumbrians all interacted a bit differently in the Sluggyverse!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:24 pm 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Pete wrote:
Due to what was established in The Storm Breaker Saga twenty years ago, Trents, Mercians, Vikings and Northumbrians all interacted a bit differently in the Sluggyverse!

We were all too busy playing Street Fighters 2 to pay attention anyway.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:13 pm 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
Not to contradict the Word of Pete, but it seems to me that the differences in the history of England are fairly small. This is set centuries before there were Viking raids and Danegeld. On the other hand, there is little difference other than time between Anglo-Saxons and Danes.

After the Roman Empire left Britain, various Germanic peoples – Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Frisians and Franks – started building settlements on the island. Tamworth is supposed to have been founded by Angles from the region where Denmark gradually transitions into Germany, so "Norse" isn't too far off.

Scribe found the books in 650. Based on her apparent age and two instances of "years pass", I estimate that it's now around 660 to 665. By this time, the Anglo-Saxon invaders had conquered most of what is now England and formed an unstable patchwork of small kingdoms, which warred both among each other and against the Celtic Britons.

Anglo-Saxon and Celtic kingdoms around the year 600:

Some excerpts from the Wikipedia article on Mercia:

Quote:
The name "Mercia" is Old English for "boundary folk", and the traditional interpretation is that the kingdom originated along the frontier between the native Welsh and the Anglo-Saxon invaders. However, P. Hunter Blair argued an alternative interpretation: that they emerged along the frontier between Northumbria and the inhabitants of the Trent river valley.

Aha! There are the Trents!

Quote:
The earliest person named in any records as a king of Mercia is Creoda, said to have been the great-grandson of Icel. Coming to power around 584, he built a fortress at Tamworth which became the seat of Mercia's kings.

Quote:
[One] Mercian king, Penda, ruled from about 626 or 633 until 655. [...] In 633 Penda and his ally Cadwallon of Gwynedd defeated and killed Edwin, who had become not only ruler of the newly unified Northumbria, but bretwalda, or high king, over the southern kingdoms. When another Northumbrian king, Oswald, arose and again claimed overlordship of the south, he also suffered defeat and death at the hands of Penda and his allies – in 642 at the Battle of Maserfield. In 655, after a period of confusion in Northumbria, Penda brought 30 sub-kings to fight the new Northumbrian king Oswiu at the Battle of Winwaed, in which Penda in turn lost the battle and his life.

The battle led to a temporary collapse of Mercian power. Penda's son Peada [...] succeeded his father as king of Mercia; Oswiu set up Peada as an under-king; but in the spring of 656 he was murdered and Oswiu assumed direct control of the whole of Mercia. A Mercian revolt in 658 threw off Northumbrian domination and resulted in the appearance of another son of Penda, Wulfhere, who ruled Mercia as an independent kingdom (though he apparently continued to render tribute to Northumbria for a while) until his death in 675. Wulfhere initially succeeded in restoring the power of Mercia, but the end of his reign saw a serious defeat by Northumbria. The next king, Æthelred, defeated Northumbria in the Battle of the Trent in 679, settling once and for all the long-disputed control of the former kingdom of Lindsey.

This Lord Pendon may be holding his rally during the revolt in 658, or it may be a few years later, after the rise of Wulfhere, if the Trents are still subservient to Northumbria and Pendon wants to conquer them (on behalf of king Wulfhere of course).

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:40 pm 
That was an interesting time skip. What did our scribe learn from the bhad book I wonder...hmmm

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:46 am 
Rombobjörn wrote:
Not to contradict the Word of Pete, but..

That was long and I'm not sure what your argument statement was supposed to be here.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:23 pm 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
If you read my post assuming that everything I wrote must be meant to argue a single point, then I'm sure you'll have trouble understanding it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:42 pm 
I think the only thing that is certain is that no sparrow is going to find a coconut in Mercia.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions