Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:17 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Okay, I'm going to be honest here.

This "correcting" Pete on his dialog for the time period, was fine at first, but now it is becoming a bit annoying.

Pete has already said what he is going to do. Constantly berating him over it, is no longer helping.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:44 pm 
You know I was half considering what J_G_E recommended. It's a great idea. I think it's causing me too much stress trying to put together dialogue that is basically a mess. Y'all know I'm not the type to bow to pressure to do a thing unless I'm putting this pressure on myself. OK the new plan is for me to replace the dialogue in The Scribe and the Wizard with my own regular twisted version of the English language. I'll fix the older strips over the weekend if I can. but I'm leaving 'grammercy'. And I'm considering leaving 'thous'. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:08 pm 
Zillatain wrote:

This "correcting" Pete on his dialog for the time period, was fine at first, but now it is becoming a bit annoying.

Pete has already said what he is going to do. Constantly berating him over it, is no longer helping.

I had written something much harsher as well, before I deleted it. It definitely included the terms "unintentional language bullying", with a twist of what J_G_E added as well, though far less detailed. Basically, the 'corrections' are probably wrong anyway, but people are just way too eager to show off their knowledge of a cryptic skill.

Instead I ended up with a tongue and cheek critique that probably got ignored. So I'll say it very clearly here, too. Pete has the patience of a saint, and it's really annoying reading these so-called corrections. Re-writing every single panel of his comic is pretty arrogant. Stop torturing your beloved cartoonist, lol

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:27 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Pete wrote:
And I'm considering leaving 'thous'. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:42 pm 
Zillatain wrote:

I sincerely hope my thoughts on that didnt come over as berating - if so, definitely not the intention. (stuffy and pedantic about historical contexts? Definitely. That's pretty much my day job.)

Pete wrote:
I think it's causing me too much stress trying to put together dialogue that is basically a mess.

Then in your shoes, I would (a: probably be very unpopular for stealing your footwear.) and b: write it in a way that you're comfortable with, to hell with trying to get it accurate at all, and just try to make it "flow" in your head in a distinctive way to convey a slightly different sound to how you imagine the modern characters talk. Trying to make it accurate is just going to leave you cramped up and unable to create comfortably (and as I said, actually making it accurate would be unintelligible to 99.99% of the planet. I'm pretty sure that webcomics in Anglo saxon are a seriously niche market... ).

I think trying to fight against using comfortable language/phrasing to create the story would inhibit your (or anyone's) ability to tell the story - which is the objective of the medium. so doing it the way that you're comfortable with - thous included - will end up with the better story from it. And the occasional word dropped in that you feel sets the scene should be fine for all but the insufferable pedants. And we all know exactly where insufferable pedants should be sent.

Plus, its far better that, than ye overblowne olde englysshe too manye "e's" stylee of writingee thate some writeres have triede and failede witheeeee...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:45 pm 
Still, I have to say that was a pretty impressive first post.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:54 pm 
Quote:
Ok, actually, Pete we've had like two or three people join the forum because they're upset at your old time-y English grammar. I think you should proceed as Grammer Gorilla would!!!!

On the one hand, yes; on the other hand, two of us used our first appearances to quote different dialects of Old English, so be careful what you wish for.

(But I think we had the same point: actually period-accurate English is neither realistic nor desirable in this case. Avoiding Pete stressing over the language, on the other hand, is extremely desirable.)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:25 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

I had written something much harsher as well, before I deleted it. It definitely included the terms "unintentional language bullying", with a twist of what J_G_E added as well, though far less detailed. Basically, the 'corrections' are probably wrong anyway, but people are just way too eager to show off their knowledge of a cryptic skill.

Instead I ended up with a tongue and cheek critique that probably got ignored. So I'll say it very clearly here, too. Pete has the patience of a saint, and it's really annoying reading these so-called corrections. Re-writing every single panel of his comic is pretty arrogant. Stop torturing your beloved cartoonist, lol

Is this really any worse than the near constant science and technology nerd corrections we typically get in the reactions forum? I still rember [that you should not bypass the word filters -Z] "choice of kevlar" fiasco. Pete changed that comic like 3 times because people were nitpicking over what would protect from knives.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 am 
In principle, no. It's not any worse. But this feels much worse because Pete has re-written every single word of dialogue. It's harder to research language use and apply it, rather than single facts about armor.

Same root cause though, yup. People are proud and want to show off their knowledge. The internet is a boon and a curse for creative types lol. Luckily Pete knows not to take it to heart though. He's a pro :)

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions