Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:55 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
The Bug will allow Friday to exist.

For now...

----
The bug demands you vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
You will not forget to vote every day.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:12 am 
Oh. I think I get it now.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:16 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Welp, one down, at least 2 more to go...

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:58 am 
They are back to no fancy living quarters, I take it? It's too bad they appear to feel time just like anyone would outside the book, instead of being in a slowed-down state when the book isn't being used.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:53 am 
So Quints work lasted for a thousand years:
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2021-02-03

So the last year we knew of was 430 BC when Siphy killed Sparrow and then a few additional years passed (Bug: "the way he keeps tormenting her year after year...").

This probably means another millenium later we are now in the dark ages of the late 6th century. Most part of Germany and Scandinavia is still full of rivaling Germanic heathen tribes. A time and place where the political landscape would loosely fit the Trent/Mercia setup of the stormbreaker saga ...
(on the other hand, weapons, armor and castles of the Stormbreaker/Bugsquisher saga match more the era of the crusades, which starts 500 years later in the late 11th century so another fast forward to another epoch wouldn't surprise me as well... but I think we're really coming close to that story arc)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:00 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
StatisticMan wrote:
S(...)
This probably means another millenium later we are now in the dark ages of the late 6th century. Most part of Germany and Scandinavia is still full of rivaling Germanic heathen tribes. A time and place where the political landscape would loosely fit the Trent/Mercia setup of the stormbreaker saga ...
(on the other hand, weapons, armor and castles of the Stormbreaker/Bugsquisher saga match more the era of the crusades, which starts 500 years later in the late 11th century so another fast forward to another epoch wouldn't surprise me as well... but I think we're really coming close to that story arc)

This might count as spec, but I wonder if Siphy II might actually be older than she look like, with the power of the books helping her looking younger.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:28 pm 
Mercia as an actual historical kingdom stopped existing in the early 10th century. Whether the Stormbreaker Saga was supposed to occur at the end of the kingdom, I don't know, but the 1000 year set up in the prophecy from Delphi would suggest a time more near the beginning of Mercia. I'm guessing that Pete loosely based it on historical Mercia, so I doubt it would be later than 10th century AD.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:00 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Mercia as an actual historical kingdom stopped existing in the early 10th century. Whether the Stormbreaker Saga was supposed to occur at the end of the kingdom, I don't know, but the 1000 year set up in the prophecy from Delphi would suggest a time more near the beginning of Mercia. I'm guessing that Pete loosely based it on historical Mercia, so I doubt it would be later than 10th century AD.

Thank you, Lord Golbez. I should have googled these names.
And from the Wikipedia Article I just learned, that Trent is a river that runs through Mercia.

Really fascinating, that these were historical names... I always thought, it was a fantasy setting.
This makes it even better :)

And yes, perharps Pete even choose an Etruscan setting for the creation of the book because it falls in the era exactly 1000 years before the historical Mercia. Wow ...

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:52 pm 
StatisticMan wrote:
(...)

Really fascinating, that these were historical names... I always thought, it was a fantasy setting.
(...)

Well, not Fantasy, but I always thought until now it was a fictional place set in middleagistan, west to Sokovia and Latveria.

I hadn't realised before that Pete actually had grounded his stories with some actual historic background very early on in his work.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:53 pm 
Ouch. Siphy's not just inside the book. She's inside a book inside the book. Double trapped.

I do wonder what the Stormbreaker Saga's going to feel like for this version of the bug, since the version who was the villain there was his far future self who got sent back to his present. Is he just going to observe, or...

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:35 pm 
I wonder who the next owner of the book is and what will prompt them to restore Farhan's mind.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:07 pm 
CodeBlack wrote:
Ouch. Siphy's not just inside the book. She's inside a book inside the book. Double trapped.

This is called double bookkeeping.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:42 am 
"For when I gave her the power of the book, I took a part of her soul"

"As did I!"

Poor Gwynn. Shouldn't have given in and used that power either! Wonder what the state of her soul is now, after the first encounter with K'z'K, her transformation, and return?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:24 am 
Biscuit wrote:
"For when I gave her the power of the book, I took a part of her soul"

"As did I!"

Poor Gwynn. Shouldn't have given in and used that power either! Wonder what the state of her soul is now, after the first encounter with K'z'K, her transformation, and return?

When she accepted the book's power offer in Poland, to help in the fight agaisnt Captain Botanical, Farhan told her that his gift was unconditional. But we don't know how true that was. We have seen Farhan was able to immobilise her when she was reaching the page, but this is far lesser than what she was able to do to Syphy II.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:46 pm 
Silverwalker wrote:
CodeBlack wrote:

This is called double bookkeeping.

I wonder if the Bug uses the Doom-y Decimal System.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions