Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:15 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
The Bug and Farahn show is doing wonderfully now. The creative differences are a thing of the past! It is doing so well, they are accepting applications for many interns to personally see first hand how to succeed in the "cut-throat" industry.

Anyway, be sure to check out the next exciting episode on April the Twenty Seventh!

----
Please vote for The Bug and Farahn at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:48 am 
So Pete's commentary and reference link confirm that Macha the storyteller is Riff's ancestor. Makes sense. Or did we sort of know this already and I'm just forgetting?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:04 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Mao wrote:
So Pete's commentary and reference link confirm that Macha the storyteller is Riff's ancestor. Makes sense. Or did we sort of know this already and I'm just forgetting?

With the resolution of the Mohkadun chapter, we have know for a while that Riff's father was a descendant of Symachus.

Macha is the single known son of syachus, but last we saw him, he was running for his life in the desert, maybe he had other encounter and other kids? But otherwise, if Macha is his single kid, then it's kind of inevitable that Riff is also the descendant of Macha. So yeah, we kind of knew of this eventuality already.

Then again, it seems Symachus is unable to die, at the risk of making a spec, Riff's father could be just as well the descendant of Macha or the direct son of Symachus, still fooling around.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:15 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
Then again, it seems Symachus is unable to die, at the risk of making a spec, Riff's father could be just as well the descendant of Macha or the direct son of Symachus, still fooling around.

I think that Symachus wandering the desert forever was just one of many tales made up by Maloufo to cover the fact that he murdered everybody who was affected by "the madness".

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:27 am 
Well, you see the reference link. Symachus' blind son Macha talking about his mother, who died in the desert.

Later in that story Macha said he would go north along the Nile to seek knowledge. That is probably an explanation to why he became Riff's ancestor later. Or maybe it has even more meaning, in that we will see later where Macha ended up.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:14 am 
Mao wrote:
GUIGUI wrote:

I think that Symachus wandering the desert forever was just one of many tales made up by Maloufo to cover the fact that he murdered everybody who was affected by "the madness".

I guess that depends on if Symachus had enough power stripped away from him that he could die by Mafoulo's bard sword. But that wouldn't be my guess on what the Time Father did to him.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:28 am 
Yup....it is technically a possibility that Symachus is still running around or sleeping somewhere, given the whole godhood thing. Anything beyond this would go in Spec though ;)

(I have no related spec)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:01 pm 
Mao wrote:

I don't think it was ever explicitly stated, but 1) Macha is blind, 2) I had always assumed he was blind because he was a direct descendent of Symachus (possibly his actual son, see panel 8 here), and Krohnus blinded Symachus "and all of [his] lineage for all time," 3) if so, then Macha is either Riff's direct ancestor or a nearby relative. We know Riff is descended from Symachus, and it seems likely that lineage goes through Macha.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:58 pm 
I literally laughed out loud at panel 4. hilarious

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 pm 
Have we seen where people had nipples before Maloufo?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:09 pm 
garyfritz wrote:
Mao wrote:

I don't think it was ever explicitly stated, but 1) Macha is blind, 2) I had always assumed he was blind because he was a direct descendent of Symachus (possibly his actual son, see panel 8 here), and Krohnus blinded Symachus "and all of [his] lineage for all time," 3) if so, then Macha is either Riff's direct ancestor or a nearby relative. We know Riff is descended from Symachus, and it seems likely that lineage goes through Macha.

Thank you. I had forgotten Symachus's judgment. One thing that would really help the tangle of myriads of plots of SF would be a tag system. But probably there's not a man in this world brave enough to undertake that task.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:00 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Mao wrote:
Thank you. I had forgotten Symachus's judgment. One thing that would really help the tangle of myriads of plots of SF would be a tag system. But probably there's not a man in this world brave enough to undertake that task.

Actually, the Niftysearch engine basically accomplish this function, as it names every speaking character for every strip. As a matter of fact, it could even bee said it's more advanced than a tag system.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:23 am 
(Nifty search is great, but a tag system implies some sort of generalization beyond the spoken text. E.g., user-generated plotline tags. Such a task would be daunting indeed!)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:23 pm 
In my experience, user generated tag system lead to pure chaos.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:12 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
Mao wrote:

Actually, the Niftysearch engine basically accomplish this function, as it names every speaking character for every strip. As a matter of fact, it could even bee said it's more advanced than a tag system.

Uh, I've never tried that, actually. Thanks for letting me know!

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions