Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:07 pm
Posts: 5686
Location: Someplace other than where I am.
The Thirteenth of April is here to save you...

...from the boredom of not having a new The Bug and Rith strip to read!

Let's see what new wacky adventure they will get themselves into this time!


----
Please vote for The Bug and Rith at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:07 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 1901
That pun made me laugh way more than I was expecting to laugh at 2am.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:11 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 301
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
I guess panel 5 and 6 happens right between those two comics:
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2013-12-19
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2013-12-20

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:11 pm 
Offline
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:16 pm
Posts: 4
As a reader since the 90's, I remain completely confused about pretty much everything that has happened since the end of January. I need an actual *recap.* The random "ref:" links are not doing enough to jog my memory, especially when it's a one-day comic with a dozen ref links back to comics from 2013 that make no sense out of context.

There's like three and a half KZKs buzzing around (bug, Kozoaku, Farahn, diamond-face Farahn), two Siphanianas, a whole God team whose names I don't even remember. Basphomy is Lenari and she's a moon twin?

Why does Diamond-face Farahn want to remove pages from the book? Why does Gwynn want them back in the book? What was in KZK's box again? A compass and scroll? What were they for?

Who was Ozzid? I don't remember him at all…?

What paper did Bishop Osterhagen find? "We all know how that turned out" well, NO actually, that was *six years ago* and involved a giant complex story involving a giant plant… I don't remember how it "turned out" except that Torg and Gwynn escaped at some point with Captain Botanical…?

Is all this stuff being explained somehow in Defenders articles or something? What the heck is going on in this story? Who are the major characters, what do they want, and why?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 301
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
dfabulich wrote:
As a reader since the 90's, I remain completely confused about pretty much everything that has happened since the end of January. I need an actual *recap.* The random "ref:" links are not doing enough to jog my memory, especially when it's a one-day comic with a dozen ref links back to comics from 2013 that make no sense out of context.
(...)

Do like what many of us do when given ref link, actually reread the whole arc they refer to. Like seriously, it's almost an enjoyable aspect of the huge body of work that is Sluggy Freelance: you end up rereading stories you had almost forgotten about and re-enjoying them as if it was almost the first time. Add to that the recontextualisation of the last update and it can be quite the pleasure. But also a big time consumer.


Last edited by GUIGUI on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3080
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
I tend to solely rely on the ref links, for what it's worth. But a Recap comic DEFINITELY would not be out of place. Perhaps when we get back to the main gang...

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:23 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 301
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
dfabulich wrote:
There's like three and a half KZKs buzzing around (bug, Kozoaku, Farahn, diamond-face Farahn), two Siphanianas, a whole God team whose names I don't even remember. Basphomy is Lenari and she's a moon twin?

-The Bug we see talking with Rithuly is Kozoaku just before Farhan (still a normal human being at this point) invoke him back to reality. When he is brought back to earth, Kozoaku takes shape as a giant Super-Stabby Earwig-Taur being with too many eyes. At this point, K'Z'K, a future version of Kozoaku who lives in the back of Gwynn's mind, comes and talk to Kozoaku to tell him how to proceed for his plan to succeed. The plan result in Farhan being possessed by Kozoaku (whose true name is changed to K'Z'K through magic) and imprisoned in a Scroll (it's not the one you are asking about), Scroll that will later become part of the book of E-Ville (as it is told to us in this current arc) this is how Farhan become diamond-face Farhan.

-The first Siphaniana was the favorite spouse of King Farhan in pre-egyptian times and switched mind with Gwynn(who was taken away from her present times, a future time from the point of view of Siphaniana) and this is how Gwynn (with K'Z'K hidden in the back of her mind) was braught into the past, possessing Siphaniana's body. The second Siphaniana is the grand-grand-daughter of Quint (Quint is the one who created the Book of E-ville to conceal the Scroll Farhan and K'Z'K ended up in). That second Siphaniana was manipulated by Farhan (and probably the bug too) to get rid of some of the pages of the Book, so that the book would be the way the Bug and Farhan want it to be.

-The Gods team are:
Kronus (god of Time, aka Father Time)
Krig (god of Joy)
Tempest (god of Fate, aka Uncle Time, who later got to rule over the timeless space)
Symachus (god of justice)
Sluggy (god of power who later got to be named Bun-Bun)

-I don't think there is any character named Lenari. The moon twin is named Dunuloa, she isn't Basphomy. Basphomy is one of her creation in wich Dunuloa poored the darkest aspect of herself. Basphomy went through many different names before calling herself Basphomy. Also, the other twin is the Sun twin, Rana and both twins are the daughters of Kronus.

Quote:
Why does Diamond-face Farahn want to remove pages from the book? Why does Gwynn want them back in the book? What was in KZK's box again? A compass and scroll? What were they for?

-We are lacking details, but it seems Farhan and the bug were more or less working together to make the book powerful enough so that they would be able to act on their own, acting against Quint's plan to make it a powerless book of useless and pointless spells. Farhan and the bug seems to considers some of those pages are dangerous to their plan and should be removed. The exact reason why are unknown, but they already said that the page of Binding and Unbinding could undo the book and turns them back to powerless scroll, as for the page to summon Captain Botanical, I guess the bug doesn't want competition and also would prefer to not have a being able to cancel magic, thus cancelling the Bug's power. The third page remains a mystery.

-Gwyn is acting on the supposition that having a full book will help her deal with Farhan loitering in her mind.

-It's a box meant to contain the scroll you also asked about. It's a different scroll than the one that would later imprison Farhan and K'Z'K (that one, at this point, doesn't exist yet). This scroll is actually written in English and contains "prophecies" (actually knowledges K'Z'K had from the future), that K'Z'K made so that it could only be opened with the blood of a descendant of Symachus, one of them happening to be be Riff's dad, who found it and the scroll's "prophecies" lead him to believe that the world's end was inevitable and that helping K'Z'K's release was the only way to save his son. The compass actually point out to anyone containing a bit of K'Z'K's soul in them, to gather them all so that K'Z'K could be reassembled and restored after Zoe had squished K'Z'K during medieval times.
Quote:
Who was Ozzid? I don't remember him at all…?

-Ozzid has mostly been established in the current arc, as the guardian of Quint's lineage and hasn't really been fleshed out before this chapter. He simply briefly appear during the arc where Zoe and Torg were stuck in medieval time.
Quote:
What paper did Bishop Osterhagen find? "We all know how that turned out" well, NO actually, that was *six years ago* and involved a giant complex story involving a giant plant… I don't remember how it "turned out" except that Torg and Gwynn escaped at some point with Captain Botanical…?

-It's the scroll that allow to invoke Captain Botanical. The Bishop tried to invoke it in the hope of being able to destroy it, but failed and was turned in an hating plant Zombie. That's how it turned out.

I hope all of this help.

Dodger77 wrote:
I tend to solely rely on the ref links, for what it's worth. But a Recap comic DEFINITELY would not be out of place. Perhaps when we get back to the main gang...

Welp, Today's comic in question actually IS a recap comic. Aside from Rithuly's confession, we didn't really learn anything new today.


Last edited by GUIGUI on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:14 am, edited 9 times in total.
Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:26 pm 
Offline
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:16 pm
Posts: 4
Thank you! This was a HUGE help.

As for Basphomy…

GUIGUI wrote:
dfabulich wrote:
. Basphomy is Lenari and she's a moon twin?

-I don't think there is any character named Lenari.

Ah, right, yes. I read "Lemuri" and wrote "Lenari" which is totally wrong. https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2021-03-11

Alligia describes her as "the dark-side of the moon twin," which was quite confusing to me, especially since I couldn't remember whether she was on the God team.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:12 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3080
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
oh yeah, I completely forgot.


THAT LOVE-CRAFT PUN THOUGH

:pun: :pun: :pun:

<3

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:19 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:31 pm
Posts: 48
tbf i was confused by the ref link too cause i forgot there were two bugs floating around at the time. it's like we're seeing k'z'k backstory where before now we were always seeing future k'z'k aka the one that is smiling when younger version is being sucked into the book. the next few comics actually do explain that as there being two divergent timelines.

sluggy is always a bit complex, but i agree half the fun is going back to read old storylines. tho for the most part Pete usually does include everything we need to know for the current arc to make sense either in the current comic arc, or in the refs, and if you still have questions i am sure they will be answered. always have been for me. there might still be questions, but they will be about things that won't actually make the current arc any more clear, they're just extraneous easter eggs (like the captain botanical cameo) etc

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:13 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 301
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
dfabulich wrote:
(...)
Ah, right, yes. I read "Lemuri" and wrote "Lenari" which is totally wrong. https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2021-03-11

Alligia describes her as "the dark-side of the moon twin," which was quite confusing to me, especially since I couldn't remember whether she was on the God team.

Yeah, Lemuri was one of the many name Basphomy had before being called Basphomy. "Bast" was her first known name. Additional comic for your reminder:
Image
Image
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-06-30
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2020-11-06


Last edited by GUIGUI on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:27 am 
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:50 pm
Posts: 1459
JustinH wrote:
tbf i was confused by the ref link too cause i forgot there were two bugs floating around at the time. it's like we're seeing k'z'k backstory where before now we were always seeing future k'z'k aka the one that is smiling when younger version is being sucked into the book. the next few comics actually do explain that as there being two divergent timelines.


They're more like convergent timelines in this case. They departed in small ways through the interaction of Kozoaku with his future self, but K'Z'K made sure most things stayed the same so that the timeline wouldn't split off.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:59 pm 
Offline
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:26 am
Posts: 204
i gotta say guigui, that's quite a story dump (and i know that just scrapes the surface). i can't imagine the time it took you to write that (and edit x8). props to you (and a big thanks from that pete god guy - speaking of gods, i guess pete is more powerful than prozoato? "the one" maybe?)

perhaps pete should just reference your post as the 'recap' lol.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:37 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:31 pm
Posts: 48
Check out the Update today! GUIGUI with the shoutout from Pete. Also me, kinda, related to my question about the bugs lmao

Pete, that was really cool of you to say! this is why i remain a fan.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:38 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 671
Location: Fairfax, VA
GUIGUI wrote:
Do like what many of us do when given ref link, actually reread the whole arc they refer to. Like seriously, it's almost an enjoyable aspect of the huge body of work that is Sluggy Freelance: you end up rereading stories you had almost forgotten about and re-enjoying them as if it was almost the first time. Add to that the recontextualisation of the last update and it can be quite the pleasure. But also a big time consumer.


Careful. Last time the phrase “carnivorous smurf” crossed my mind I was doomed for a month.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: