Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:45 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Pete said there would be a strip on Wednesday Thursday. But this is Pete we are talking about. Can we trust him?

No. No we can not.

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:53 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
Pete said there would be a strip on Wednesday. But this is Pete we are talking about. Can we trust him?

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day!

Pete is god (of this strip). He shall not be questioned. I mean, has He ever not done what He said He was going to do? <smirk>

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:21 pm 
Pete wrote:
UPDATE 3/9/2021: SCRIPT ISSUES RESOLVED! Here's the plan. There WILL be a comic Thursday (the 11th) and Friday (the 12th). And then I'm going for FOUR comics next week to make up for lost time! Onward and sideways!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:08 am 
I wasn't even worried about the delay. The mini-arc for the "book of uhglee" came to an end, we know how demon-binding in a book works in Sluggy-verse, the demon is bound, the possessed human is killed and the two cultists are going to be murdered and seem to be pretty okay with it.

So I guess it's a pretty convenient point to halt the story a little bit.

Not complaining about the six announced strips, by the way! :)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:20 am 
Yay, the strip is here! And Uh oh, someone else has arrived too...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:43 am 
It appears that Basphomy has a holiday here, which makes me wonder if ....

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:12 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Lord Golbez wrote:

I think she is still Bast, at this point.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:54 am 
I'm a bit confused by the fact that Allie calls her Lemuri, and she replies, "I am now Lemuri." Was Allie supposed to call her something different or something?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:29 am 
You live enough centuries being the dark side of something and you'll develop a tendancy to re-brand yourself once in a while, eh? Makes sense.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:45 am 
Tormuse wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the fact that Allie calls her Lemuri, and she replies, "I am now Lemuri." Was Allie supposed to call her something different or something?

i realize wikipedia is not necessarily an authoritative source but i don't see any mention of a lemuri in their article about lemuralia. in fact, i don't see any mention of a single embodiment (think santa claus or easter bunny) but rather lemures in general (ghosts basically). maybe lemuri is meant to be the general collective of all lemures?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:12 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:

I think she is still Bast, at this point.

Nope. She's Lemuri, but I'm just gonna stick with Basphomy.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:29 am 
Quote:
Does it make sense for people to be celebrating the Lemuralia Festival in a town just north-west-ish of Mt Vesuvius in 455-ish BC? I say so, but I'm not actually a historian. ;)

A town just north-west-ish of Mt Vesuvius would've been Neápolis (what we now call Naples), or at least one of its suburbs, which was Greek until about 300BC when it was taken over by the Romans after the Second Samnite War. Even after becoming Roman, Naples was famous for retaining its Greek culture. Given that Lemuralia was a Roman holiday, it seems unlikely that the Greeks would've been celebrating it.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 pm 
zhecht wrote:
Quote:
A town just north-west-ish of Mt Vesuvius would've been Neápolis (what we now call Naples), or at least one of its suburbs, which was Greek until about 300BC when it was taken over by the Romans after the Second Samnite War. Even after becoming Roman, Naples was famous for retaining its Greek culture. Given that Lemuralia was a Roman holiday, it seems unlikely that the Greeks would've been celebrating it.

I'm not quite sure. The best hint that this is not Neapolis is, that we are most likely in the town that collapsed into a sinkhole and later was destroyed by Mount Vesuvius as Riff told us.
We certainly know that Neapolis or Naples wasn't destroyed by Mount Vesuvius.

So yeah, there were Greek settlements (I mentioned Cumae in an earlier thread) but there were also peoples from Italy like Etruscans, Samnites and Volscians. I guess somebody coming from the Etruscan motherland would rather stick with other Etruscans than Greeks. And we know that for example Capua (Etruscan: Capeva) was a Etruscan colony and not too far.

Etruscans and Romans were extremely connected and a lot of the Roman culture orginially comes from the Etruscans so I think that it is not impossible that there is a shared heritage for this festival. I think we still have to assume that the Romans later gave it their own origin myth...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:54 pm 
Ah, I remember as a kid, going door to door to collect, hot, dripping beans in a sack! And going to the bean store on Fridays to buy beans for the weekend. But you mustn't eat them until after dinner.

Tormuse wrote:

Her answer is like this: I have had many names, but yes, you are correct, I am now called Lemuri.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions