Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:59 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Veneris hodie est et quid significat, quod, ius? Ita, quod diei est Horrende latine translata. Duis ullamcorper nisl.

-----
Ad suffragium pro justo Top Sluggy Web Drama.
Memento suffragium quotidie?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:12 am 
BC dates go backwards. The previous date was 500BC, so 515BC would be 15 years before the previous strip. This strip should be 15 years later though, so 485BC

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:23 am 
Technically I DID say "roughly...."

I knew that but some how screwed it up anyway! Booo me! Off to fix!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:17 am 
Karenus Privlicus was great. I almost missed that.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:19 am 
Is Karenus Privlicus just off panel speaking to the manager?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:31 am 
s.i.l. wrote:

He's called Biggus Dickus.He has a wife you know

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:42 am 
I just coffee out my nose laughing over 'Karenus Privlicus'. Thanks Pete.

So that's the use of a 'Potential'; a human who can manipulate the Fate Web in some manner, so as to help the Fate Web. I was speculating that it was a human with the will to 'tame' one of the the Voweless One's demons and possess it instead of the other way around.

I just hope the civic-order minded Karenus isn't married to Spurius Cassius Viscellinus ...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:32 am 
Did Quint really intend teach Allie to translate when he showed her the scroll? Or was he trying to get a free translation without admitting a weakness?
As Servra states, his Latin at least, is really terrible.

So now the story shifted to Rome, an relatively unimportant Latin city state by that time that kicked out an Etrurian king a few years ago and formed a republic.

Last edited by StatisticMan on Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:45 am 
Pete wrote:
Technically I DID say "roughly...."

I knew that but some how screwed it up anyway! Booo me! Off to fix!

Strike two! One more and Karenus will have your name and artist number.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:18 pm 
StatisticMan wrote:
Did Quint really intend teach Allie to translate when he showed her the scroll? Or was he trying to get a free translation without admitting a weakness?

When Quint grew up, he probably needed to learn Latin about as much as the average New Yorker needs to learn Hawaiian. As a learned man he surely needs to understand Greek, just like everybody needs to understand English today.

I have to assume that it's pure coincidence that his name sounds like a Latin word.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:46 pm 
s.i.l. wrote:

I think that's her on-panel in panel 3, speaking with the legionary and pointing.

Quint is obviously the origin of the term "mooning". :torg:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:46 pm 
Rombobjörn wrote:
StatisticMan wrote:

When Quint grew up, he probably needed to learn Latin about as much as the average New Yorker needs to learn Hawaiian. As a learned man he surely needs to understand Greek, just like everybody needs to understand English today.

I have to assume that it's pure coincidence that his name sounds like a Latin word.

According to the comic, it is Greek text. His ability to speak Latin has no bearing on the translation.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:15 pm 
I've been collecting and re-reading the books, and using the math in this story line, I think I've come up with the following timeline:
1500 B.C. -Mokadun falls in present day Tunisa. Some of the rebels escape due to the demon Kizke, now the vowelless one K'Z'K, aka PoopyPants, aka :kzk: , encased in a scroll.
1500-500B.C. The worshipers of Rana the Moon, who survived as part of the rebellion against the Gods when Mokadun fell, wandered until they settled in Delphi, Greece- and kept the scroll hidden and safe.
500B.C. Our new hero uses the new science of bookbinding to collect not only the scroll of K'Z'K but also a lot of other spells into the Book of E'Ville
485B.C. He also requests spells to include in the Book of Gud, for the StormBreaker to use.
500A.D. approximately- Somehow the Lysinda Circle gets ahold of both books, and uses them in some strange way to encourage war in central England. K'Z'K, Torg, and Zoe get sent there by accident by Riff using Berk's time device, kicking of the near extinction of humanity, but Torg and Zoe, the StormBreaker, use the Book of Gud to defeat K'Z'K and return him to the Book of E'Ville- but a part of him lives on in Gwen.
1999: Gwen uses the Book of E'Ville inappropriately, and K'Z'K invades her brain for the next 21 years.

Does that sound like a summation? I'm not sure where the cult of other demons or Riff's dad fits in, but I'm sure he does somehow.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:07 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
seebert42 wrote:
The worshipers of Rana the Moon...

Looks pretty good, but Rana is the Sun Twin. Dunuloa is the Moon Twin.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:17 pm 
Rombobjörn wrote:
StatisticMan wrote:

Yeah, that sounds right. Etruria is very influenced by the Greek culture. I guess, if you pick one foreign language to learn, then it's most likely Greek.
Latin by that time is only the language of the Latin tribes (including the Romans). Servra on the other hand seems to be quite fluent in Latin. Perharps he's doing a lot of business there.

I'm not sure if talking Etruscan is a smart move in Rome at this time. As I wrote recently , they just kicked out the Etrurian king (Tarquin, 509 BC). Etruscan is the language of the former oppressors.

Regarding his name I'm probably guessing to much but his name until now was only stated as "Quint the inventor". Perharps this is a Latinized version of the name that the Romans will use to refer to him (as they were referring to their Etrurian king as "Lucius Tarquinius Superbus").
:-)

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions