Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:50 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Wednesday is all for some demon enslavement. Those demons have had it too good taking over humans for too long.

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:41 am 
I'm guessing the Storm breaker 1000 years starts with he Bug Squisher war, which means it could be over in current Sluggy time.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:52 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
I'm guessing the Storm breaker 1000 years starts with he Bug Squisher war, which means it could be over in current Sluggy time.

Yes, I'm really impressed, how historic settings, ancient myths and Sluggy story arcs from about 20 years ago are combined into a consistent narrative. This seems to become one of my favorite chapters.

And even the language thing is addressed in a very consistent way. "Salve pater" were indeed foreign words - for Quint as for the readers.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 am 
Quint cares not about fanciful modern amusements like Latin!

Speaking of which, this was written in leather by a Roman physician: "Romans will try any remedy provided it comes with a foreign name."

The fascination with the wisely elevated elsewhere existed even then.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:02 am 
Hum. Forget the 'science and magic' tasks. He's nothing but a book binder

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:09 pm 
To Ramoss: Heh. :-)

Anyone else get this funny feeling that Pete is using Allie to mock us trying to translate his Latin? ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:19 pm 
So, if I understand the prophecy correctly, Rana's followers ("the sun") have carried the prison scroll for a thousand years, staying ahead of demons and cultists who want to release the Destroyer. Now Rana-follower Servra has passed the baton to Dunuloa-follower Quint. Dunuloa's followers ("the moon") will now hide the scroll/book for a thousand years. Then the Destroyer will be free for a while (actually sent back in time by Riff), but will be defeated by the Stormbreaker. After that the Destroyer will remain imprisoned for another thousand years ("clear heavens").

The first of those thousand-year periods begins around 1500 BC, so the text doesn't mention where the prison scroll was for a couple millennia before then, assuming that Mokhadun predates the Old Kingdom of Egypt. Either the period of "clear heavens" ends around the year 1500, or the usage of "a thousand" is very approximate. (The Stormbreaker Saga could plausibly be set around the year 500.)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:34 am 
Location: shanghai'ed by a high-hat beaver-mustache man. i woke up in vomit and beer in a banana bin!
Maybe this is a dumb and somewhat random question but while we're on the subject of a thousand years passing, I'm curious about the passing of 20ish years. I was going through recent archives of this chapter where Zoe notes that her sister Min is "getting big".

How the heck old are our heroes?

I mean, I started reading Sluggy literally more than half my lifetime ago. When I was 21, Zoe and Torg and co were about my age. Now I'm 44ish. Time seems to pass for our crew. Do actual years?

It hit me the other day when I realized that my best friend from high school's kid sister is now hitting 40 even though I still think of her as like, 10. Min should be late 30s at least! Should I think of her as 10ish, or 38ish?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:49 am 
Well ... considering all the interdimensional jumping they've done in the past 20+ years, this must come into play at some point:

T=T0/(SQRT((1-v2/c2)))

I'm not sure Lorentz ever worked out time slippage between dimensions, but those kids can't keep breaking the laws of physics without consequences! I'm sure Gogol the fate-web spider has been kept busy running around cleaning up the mess they make of time.

Sluggsworth wrote:

Time seems to pass for our crew. Do actual years?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:02 am 
swmartian wrote:
To Ramoss: Heh. :-)

Anyone else get this funny feeling that Pete is using Allie to mock us trying to translate his Latin? ;-)

ENOUGH OF YOUR NONSENSE, LINGUISTS! NOBODY LIKES YOU!

(ignore my name. It's not related to linguistics at allllllll )

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:52 am 
Sluggsworth wrote:

Time seems to pass at about the same speed in the sluggyverse as in the real world. The events of a single day often take weeks or months to be presented to us, but there also are time skips to keep us near the present day. There are few times where the actual in-universe time is mentioned. For example, we do know that 2 years of comic time passed in the 15 months between this comic from April 2013 and this comic from August 2014, and two years passed in the comic world (and the real world) between here and here (although Zoe and Riff didn't age thanks to the nanites). We also know that approximately 10 comic years passed in the 14.5 real-world years between this December 1998 comic and this May 2013 comic.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:32 pm 
He said he spent almost a decade in prison. Not that he found his son immediately after. Keep in mind he thought Riff was dead. I would put that as more like "at least 10 years," but a sync up with 14.5 years would not be too much of a stretch.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:57 pm 
Trying to accurately plot time won't work for sluggy. Most comics and shows are more or less 'timeless'. Except for obvious time jumps. e.g., I bet Min is a bit taller, if we saw her now.

simpsons-family guy cross-over episode wrote:
NELSON: Hey, loser, I copied off your spelling test and got a D! (He gut punches him and Bart falls to the ground.) Ha-ha! (He leaves.)

STEWIE: I say, how long has that boy been treating you like that?

BART: Uh, about 24 years.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions