Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:52 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
It's Wednesday, so please remember to go to the Sluggy Store and throw money at Pete.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Please remember to vote everyday!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:54 am 
Yahoo Messenger: 11
Since no one has ever seen the thing how do they know there is only one monster. There could be multiple monsters of the same type, or multiple monsters of different types.

I guess they know there is only the one due to giant footprints and treeline damage. {checks strips where we see the monster} Mega Daebo jumped directly on the wagon so it left no footprints and didn't damage any tree lines (as far as I can tell).

Also: Torg and Riff are real gamers. They totally forgot about their witch quest for this side-quest.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:00 am 
endplanets wrote:
Also: Torg and Riff are real gamers. They totally forgot about their witch quest for this side-quest.

They went out to hunt monsters, so from this point of view the witch quest ist the side-quest and the monster hunt is the main quest.
But they are probably connected...

Hey, this is no spec, in the Sluggyverse everything is somehow connected!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 am 
Apparently the little girl's parents survived and the mayor didn't mention anyone dying; the monster only grabs draft-animals.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:14 am 
Fair Winds wrote:
Apparently the little girl's parents survived and the mayor didn't mention anyone dying; the monster only grabs draft-animals.

Unfortunately ... Nope!
The parents weren't on the cart. The little girl said that she wanted to see Mommy and Daddy in Humpshir (where today's strip takes place). And the woman on the cart was a adressed as "yer grandma" which indicates that this couple were the grandparents of the little girl...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:53 pm 
I'm confused. The definition of "gem" is "a precious or semi-precious stone". With that definition, can a gem be useless?

I suppose that useless is different than valueless, but if the gem has value, then it's useful, no?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:32 pm 
swmartian wrote:
I'm confused. The definition of "gem" is "a precious or semi-precious stone". With that definition, can a gem be useless?

I suppose that useless is different than valueless, but if the gem has value, then it's useful, no?

What's precious to some cultures/time lines, might be useless in others.

To name two examples:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... _gold.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 pm 
Diamonds are only so expensive because they tell us they are. And we fell for it through decades of marketing.

It's just a rock.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:28 am 
Yahoo Messenger: 11
swmartian wrote:

Much like silver and gold, gems are basically "useless" (my term for an item having no practical use). Now a days we have industrial cutters, lasers, and circuit boards, but to most people all gems are "worthless" and back in the day they didn't even have these high tech uses.
But they do have "value" (my made up term for having monetary value attached).

But in D&D some gems can be used in spells (making them highly desired) while other are not (making them garbage).

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:35 am 
Kar98 wrote:
swmartian wrote:

To name two examples:

[Using a person's country of origin as an insult nor slandering a group of people will not be tolerated. Kar98 was merely stating examples of items that used to be worth a lot to particular people for various reasons at one time. Nothing more. -Z]

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:08 am 
Silverwalker wrote:
Kar98 wrote:
swmartian wrote:

To name two examples:

[Using a person's country of origin as an insult nor slandering a group of people will not be tolerated. Kar98 was merely stating examples of items that used to be worth a lot to particular people for various reasons at one time. Nothing more. -Z]

My fellow European, I don't see your point. Kar98 (I don't know where he's from) just mentioned that some things were cosidered precious to some cultures/time lines and valueless to others.

Tulips are a fitting example. They are very cheap today but were very expensive in 1636/37 in the Netherlands. That's a widely accepted fact and your quote doesn't disprove any price tables.
I don't see why it matters, how many people were involved, went bankrupt or were sent to prison.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:43 am 
StatisticMan wrote:
endplanets wrote:

They went out to hunt monsters, so from this point of view the witch quest ist the side-quest and the monster hunt is the main quest.
But they are probably connected...

Hey, this is no spec, in the Sluggyverse everything is somehow connected!

Torg and Riff have been all about killing monsters for quite a long time (http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2016-04-15).

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:26 pm 
swmartian wrote:

Well that started quite the conversation. But the point was missed. "Gem" by definition is "precious or semi-precious". That suggest "usefulness" even if it's use is only defined by an artificial value. "Useless gem" is therefore a misnomer. If this society considers them truly useless, then he could have used a term like "Pretty rock," "shiny crystal," or "colorful stone;" none of which imply value or usefulness.

On the other hand, I suppose he could have been being snarky by pointing out that this thing 'of value' is actually just useless.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:00 pm 
swmartian wrote:
swmartian wrote:

Well that started quite the conversation. But the point was missed. "Gem" by definition is "precious or semi-precious". That suggest "usefulness" even if it's use is only defined by an artificial value. "Useless gem" is therefore a misnomer. If this society considers them truly useless, then he could have used a term like "Pretty rock," "shiny crystal," or "colorful stone;" none of which imply value or usefulness.

On the other hand, I suppose he could have been being snarky by pointing out that this thing 'of value' is actually just useless.

Given the following context of starving to death, I'd go firmly with your snarky explanation. Perceived value of the usefulness of aesthetics drops significantly at death's door.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:16 pm 
I'm deleting this entire off topic attempt to argue why you were moderated.
Please refer to the Don't Be A Jerk section of the community standards.
Moderation is at the discretion of the mods, it's not censorship, and please don't cause drama where people just want to have a nice discussion about a comic we all enjoy. If Zillatain tells you are not behaving, believe him. It's his unpaid job that he does very well, I don't envy at all, and I don't enjoy having posters put stress on our mod staff.

Cheers and love to you all, Don't make me come in here again, kids!

Queen Dot
Site Admin

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions