Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:49 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Spirantz wrote:
I wonder if she can suppress her anima's appearance to non-jedi's.

Heh.

Yeah I find the last panel to be confusing as well. I do see tentacles, so the creature appears to be some kind of giant squid. (A Rock Squid maybe?)

I thought the girl at the front of the boat was Gwynn at first, but the anima's don't seem to match. And there's also the fact that she seems to be welcoming this sacrifice with open arms, which is decidedly un-Gwynn like.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:01 pm 
garyfritz wrote:
I'm also wondering how Gwynn can suddenly talk to the natives so well. "You're on the 3rd boat" could be conveyed with grunt-and-sign, but concepts like "Come visit for a week or so" and "this large grumpy gentleman is my bodyguard" are trickier.

Gwynn is smarter than we (or she) tends to give her credit for. She learned the language of Mohkadun pretty quickly. Part of that is native intelligence and a propensity for languages; the other part is that her interest in the opposite sex provides motivation to learn the indigenous language. Gwynn is clearly an extrovert, and even without the flirtation motive, the ability to communicate with others will still clearly be a motivator. I think it makes sense that she'd pick up more of the language and be able to communicate in pantomime better than the rest of the gang.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:00 am 
swmartian wrote:
She learned the language of Mohkadun pretty quickly.

That's not how I read it. She was barely speaking pidgin Mohk after "many seasons" of learning.

And assuming Gwynn and Siphy are experiencing the passage of time similarly, Siphy was barely speaking English after a year of tutoring from Aylee. After presumably more time, she was speaking very good English by the time Riff and Zoe came back. So I don't think Gwynn's language skills are that much better than Siphy's.

Whereas on the island, they've only been there for days, maybe a week or so. Not enough to learn much of a language when you have no bilingual teacher, no matter how cute the guy is.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:31 am 
garyfritz wrote:
Yeah, I don't get what Zoe sees / doesn't see in Leader's anima. Looks normal anima-ish to me, and apparently to Torg.

I'm also wondering how Gwynn can suddenly talk to the natives so well. "You're on the 3rd boat" could be conveyed with grunt-and-sign, but concepts like "Come visit for a week or so" and "this large grumpy gentleman is my bodyguard" are trickier.

It does kinda look like Bun-Bun Girl in the prow of the boat. I assumed Leader would get introduced as a nifty adorable character and then immediately get fed to the Eeyoh...
randomlanguage wrote:
Maybe it is something Zoe can see that neither we nor Torg can see.

Look at the eyes. Zoe says "her", it's unknown whether she meant Gwynn or Leader's anima since both are "hers". Leader's anima has crazy evil trickster eyes/smile (I called it a "Cheshire cat grin" in refrence to the character from Alice in Wonderland). That smile does not mean good things, and in fact the eponymous Grin is often described as "knowing something you don't". Meanwhile Gwynn's Anima has very angry/suspicious eyes. Clearly Gwynn has noticed the Grin (or some other sign) and has her own doubts.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:31 pm 
garyfritz wrote:
swmartian wrote:
She learned the language of Mohkadun pretty quickly.

That's not how I read it. She was barely speaking pidgin Mohk after "many seasons" of learning.

And assuming Gwynn and Siphy are experiencing the passage of time similarly, Siphy was barely speaking English after a year of tutoring from Aylee. After presumably more time, she was speaking very good English by the time Riff and Zoe came back. So I don't think Gwynn's language skills are that much better than Siphy's.

Whereas on the island, they've only been there for days, maybe a week or so. Not enough to learn much of a language when you have no bilingual teacher, no matter how cute the guy is.

Dude, I did not say that she was fluent. Nor did I say that she had some sort of "super" power when it comes to learning languages. She is just more motivated to "communicate" - you did see that I used the word pantomime, right? She likely has picked up a few key words and is able to understand basic meanings (no doubt helped by the animas), and communicate basic ideas. And while the others may be doing that as well, Gwynn is ahead of them. That does not imply genius, fluency, or "super" powers.

A "week" may be a more advanced concept, but they could have indicated that they were returning "soon", and Gywnn in turn interpreted "soon" to be a "week or so". And actually it is not that advanced of a concept if you include drawing in the sand to indicate sunrise to sunset and count to seven... Similarly, because she's interacting more with the indigenous people, it wouldn't be all that hard for her to figure out who the leader is. "Dumb muscle" is then her interpretation, not necessarily some "advanced concept" that was communicated to her.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions