Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:16 pm 
I swear I actually saw this on Jerry Springer once...
Or was it a Geiger documentary?

+1 death of Quxwhatever
-1 stupid death of Q
+1 nominal reinstatement of proper ruler(s) of DoG
-1 no "blue trash" jokes.
+1 explosions
-1 Really bad demonic biology (it only works if you spawn thousands at a time like that, like salmon)

Grand total: meh

We do notice that no-one has been critiqueing the art of late and we are at a loss as to why...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:23 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: crazypenguin1024
AOL: misophaefaery
Location: unknown: last seen trying to use game controllers as nunchuku
I guess this is why they don't have to worry about teen pregnancies in the DoP/G....

Oy, and bringing back Steve Ouzin? That's so evil.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:06 pm 
AOL: truedeathgoesmoo
After looking through it a second time, it's more disturbing than funny, but still somewhat funny.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:31 pm 
Punzil wrote:
Chas could only kill a Demon lord by piercing its black heart. Granted, losing one's head is a completely different situation, but given the way Lord Horribus simply slid Mosp's spikes out before toasting her, can't LORD Quxxcruciata simply reattach his head or grow a new one?

Overanalyse? Me? Guilty as charged and enjoying it! So here is my cannon analysis.

Quxxle's death: It was etablished that beheading a demon lord kills it. While the full arsenal of normal human weapons won't do (even satanic kittens resist grenades), magic/special weapons and other demons (who are all assumed magic/unholy) never encountered complete immunity to harm. So Q's death is full cannon except for the lack of protection from his horns but that's almost a nitpicking.

Bady demon's death: "Stabbing thru the center of his dark soul" is close enough to saying piercing his heart. We do know demons have heart(s) from one of the Pete filler strips with the small bat-like demon, but as this wasn't a central thing as per cannon (Horribus VS Mosp, Chaz advice, Atrocioun's death). Ian is very loose cannon on this one (considering he gave Q noncannon horns that won't protect the neck to throw the arguably worst bad taste panel in sluggy with that Jerry Stinger morbidity panel).

Demon-mom's death: ordinary demons can survive most anything (i.e. Sam hole thru the chest - vampires seems to be a demon subtype, Mosp training on Reak before going for Torg, Horb going "crunch" in the hands of the DK, etc) but there is a clear indication they can kill each other if they go to extremes (i.e. eating another demon completely, Demon Lord's fire-ability). So yeah that seems full cannon.

As for demonic reproduction, I'd say they have an alternative with the "stick with a squid on it" thing or equivalent. Again, no cannon breach.

Bottom cannon line: Ian will not fully comply with cannon. This isn't what made me oppose Ian.

My gramp's comment: Ian would be better off doing the dimension of lame where the demons=humans thing wouldn't horripilate people and where _Bruno the bandit_ type humor and cannon would work better with the very same jokes. So it would be purely a quality difference instead of a clashing humor style/cannon that makes even some _Bruno the bandit_ fans hate Ian's Sluggy with a passion.

My final comment: For the record, I disagree with Gramps since this morning. I think giving Ian Annoya (he has lots of practice drawing dragons) or terminating his contract would be more like it but I'll move all further talk about Ian to POOP because even constructive criticism got modded in Sluggy-Related (a modding I agreed with, as I too want to restrict hard feelings talk to one place).

Final rating: 2 out of 2 ka-clink! Thanks, Gramps.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:57 pm 
LOL! Love the last panel! Yay! Steve is back! :kiki: :kiki:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:40 pm 
AOL: truedeathgoesmoo
I highly recomend not doing that RCG... it's your own fault for whatever comes next....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:47 am 
Yahoo Messenger: oikapuff
AOL: PikaPuff00
pretty good strip. *shrugs*

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:55 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Originally, the demon birth thing kind of grossed me out, too, but then I thought about all the horror movies where there's ever been a demon or devil baby birth and realized that's about right. My one quibble at this point is that I'd rather it had only been implied instead of being shown "on screen." As for Uozzin--well, he was kind of funny at first, and if Ian keeps his appearance hard-hitting and brief, there's humor potential. Just don't run it into the ground like the Demon Hunter's original stint in MITDO*. Hopefully, he will break up the Jeery Stinger show as everyone flees and then the plot will go forward as Plorb and Terb deal with their changed status.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:10 am 
AOL: alkthash
You know its kind of good in some ways, but bad in others. good in the fact that Ian is killing off his own repetative characters, but bad because he will either make new ones or use more of the sluggyverse for cannon fodder. at least he hasn't done Riff, Kiki, or Bunbun in a saturday strip...

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions