Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:21 pm 
Tangent wrote:
Just because a person doesn't go out of his way to do bad things doesn't make him good. A person could blithely ignore the abuse happening to a child living next door to him, because it's not his position to butt in, and he doesn't know for sure what's going on. But if the child dies because of the abuse... does that make him less to blame? If he had interceded... even if he just alerted the authorities of his suspicions... then the child might have lived.

If a man were locked in a room with his son and told that if he did not kill him, then ten other children would be massacred, would you say that he murdered ten children through inaction if he didn't comply with their demands?

Quote:
Riff's status in the Santa Files is "Special" which probably means that he's one of those cases that is naughty through omission. Through neglect. It has to be weighed carefully on what he's done to counter that. But Riff is not good by any means of the imagination.

Riff's status is "Special" because he's Jewish. He celebrates Hannukah, not Christmas. Santa's opinion is moot in his case.

Quote:
Torg might try. But Torg can be malicious at times, and petty, and cruel.

Can I get an example?

Quote:
Also, I suspect Torg grew up with abusive parents or in an abusive situation, and is most comfortable when under the stress of being abused. Thus his blithely accepting BunBun's antagonism. (It may also be a martyr complex - "better I get hurt than some poor innocent.")

I've never thought of that before.

Quote:
(BTW, Torg didn't mind Aylee eating people so long as it was to his advantage. He sicced Aylee on his insurance agent to force the agent to pay for repairs. He didn't care that the Cannables (sp) were eaten. He was grateful that his Blind Date (waaaay back when Aylee first reappeared after escaping into Torg and Riff's universe) was a snack. So basically it was situational ethics. "No eating my clients! But feel free to snack on people who are going to hurt me or are nuisances. Except, no eating BunBun... well, maybe. Let me think about it.")

In his mind, the insurance agent was more like a playful threat. I don't think Aylee ever really ate the guy. Remember, Torg grew up around a guy who turned an old man into a carnivorous Smurf for his girlfriend. The cannibals were anything but innocents. They were trying to kill Torg and Riff. That's like saying a man who shoots someone in self-defense is the same as a man who shoots a three-year-old because it makes him happy. As for the Blind Date thing: Torg fully expected to get eaten shortly thereafter. He has the right to try finding some good in his situation so he can die happy.

Quote:
Zoe is human. As such she sometimes reacts jealously or out of a petty need of revenge (such as destroying Torg's PS2). Of the three, she is the most decent and the most likely to be considered "good"... and that is where Torg's real chance lies. Because Torg is more likely to listen to Zoe and thus do more decent deeds, than allow Riff's indifference and casual cruelety influence him into similar deeds.

"Casual cruelty"?

Quote:
(Ironically, Riff and Gwynn are well-suited for each other in that neither are actually evil... but inflict harm through unintentional actions or inaction. That doesn't stop me from wanting to see Sasha return, however.)

I'd have to say that Gwynn's harming is pretty intentional.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions