Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:41 am 
Well.. that was different then what I expected. I didn't think they'd talk like rednecks and go on a Jerry Springer show.

Hasn't Jerry Springer been canceled for uh... a decade or something anyway?

I usually like Ian's work, but the last few haven't been able to charm me much. Although this one is a bit better then the ones with Lysinda and her giant ugly form.

As for Ian's own comic... I love the old ones he did, but I hate the ones he does nowadays. In the past he did clever short stories 'The Forbidden Game' and 'Dice' still crack me up. But Bruno the Bandit has long been an opinion piece now rather then a comic. Although I still read it every once in a while and hope it becomes good sometimes again. It was never a subtle comic, but by the time it joked about jumping the shark I think it had long done so.

(Note to ALL webcartoonists. No one cares about your political opinion.)

That said, even though I think Ian's own comic has long been flaundering in said political opinions as well as way to drawn out jokes. I think he usually still did either a good or at least a decent job at most MitX's. And though this was a little disappointing, I'm sure it'll be better again.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:06 am 
Wha' hoppened?

Hahahahaha... did anyone else catch that A Mighty Wind reference?

Made the entire strip worth it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:35 am 
Website: http://www.misc-debris.us/sluggypics/album_personal.php?user_id=182
I was kind of wondering how the family would be affected after Horribus' demotion.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:52 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: thortok2000
AOL: Thortok2000
Deplora looks alright-ish in panel 6, and Sweral looks fine in the last panel, but he didn't do justice to Tryka at all.

'blue trash' was funny as a pun, but not so funny as the only joke of the strip.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:03 am 
I agree, lets make this the last comic by Ian. I vote we all e-mail Pete and suggest blank saturdays from now on.

And Ian... I hate to tell you this but, you aren't funny. Your humor is immature at best, and just plain stupid at worst. You also can't draw. Yes thats right, you don't always have to draw eyes as two foot high ovals just because a character is moderately suprised. So please, leave Sluggy alone.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:43 am 
yeah, how did they fix that viewing cauldron so quickly -.^ i hope this memory loss isn't permanent and they remember what theyve been doing the last thousand or so years -.- i dont think they should have forgotten any growth at all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:46 am 
Not the best MitDo*, but on the other hand- TRYKA TRYKA TRYKA! WOOOO! :torg:

Tabasco wrote:
And Ian... I hate to tell you this but, you aren't funny... You also can't draw.

Three words: Bruno The Bandit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:59 am 
Plorb looked okay in the 6th panel but besides that this comic was meh. Plus Tryka looked really bad.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:29 pm 
The blechy Saturday strips: Now with thirty percent more no-pupils.

I also would rather see a picture of the sidewalk. Hey, if it was from the same place every week we could see the evolution of Pete's sidewalk. Then we could make a little animation and stuff, and it'd be so much cooler than M*.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:39 pm 
Psychic Jack wrote:
MerlinOfChaos wrote:
Please. If you need the day off, leave Saturdays blank.

Put a picture of your kid.

Give us another bikini shot of Zoe.

Point your camera outside and take a picture of your sidewalk.

But enough of the dimension of grief!

Alright... The only one of these that I agree with is the bikini shot of Zoe. ...or Gwynn. ...or Sasha. ...or any other female Sluggy cast member. But other than that, why would you WANT a photograph of the sidewalk over this? Yeah, its not Pete, but if you don't like it, DON'T READ IT. I could understand if you didn't want it to interrupt the story, but you'd rather have a photograph of the sidewalk?

At least with this you can analyze the work and see how it ties into the storylines. Yeah, it's done in a completely different style, both artistically and scriptwise, but it's kind of like watching a show from two different perspectives. Often times they have their own lives, but sometimes the two worlds clash.

On that note, I REALLY don't like how Ian drew Tryka. Then again, maybe that's just because she's my favourite demon, and thus nobody can draw her right, other than Pete, in my mind...

Because shots of the sidewalk don't mangle the official sluggyverse. Pete has unfortunately made Ian canon, which means any and all assinine things he does are canon.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:40 pm 
I was hoping for "Meanwhile, it's Gwynn!" Oh, well.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:10 pm 
Ya know, nearly every MiTDO strip says by McDonald and Abrams, so I highly doubt Ian is just wholesale ruining Pete's plans and characters and whatnot. I assume Pete approves everything he does at some point or another. Ya know. It being his website and strip and all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:16 pm 
Pete may approve it, but I am of the strong opinion Pete did not write Ian's stuff. At best he gave Ian a direction, "This needs to happen" and let Ian come up with the actual content.

Pete has a talent for balancing the low brow humor with story line, more intelligent humor, and seems to have a natural affinity for landing somewhere in the middle so that one particular joke doesn't completely overwhelm a strip. Ian does not have that.

As other people have mentioned, Ian's MITDS is a lot like Bruno the Bandit.

That's great, if you like Bruno. Truly, I respect that people like that. I'm not trying to say that Ian sucks in all ways.

But I don't like his interpretations of the Sluggyverse. I like Sluggy, and I think Pete is a uniquely talented cartoonist. I don't like it when he takes an established Sluggy character and has them do things that just isn't interesting or funny. Sam, for example. Pete has a way with Sam that makes him kind of like that bumbling, obnoxious next door neighbor on your generic Sitcom that does something good just often enough to make it hard to actually hate him. But when Ian draws Sam, there's nothing good there. He's just a schmuck. And not even a funny schmuck. Just a boring one. And Lysinda? C'mon.

The Sluggy universe is better than what Ian has to offer it.

If I were smart, and could remember to just not click on my Sluggy link on Friday night/Saturdays, I'd just not care. But I never remember. I always end up reading the strip in horror, praying one will be funny.

At least my prayers were answered once.

-- edit: Fixed a typo.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:35 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Rite wrote:
Wha' hoppened?

Hahahahaha... did anyone else catch that A Mighty Wind reference?

Yep! :torg:

I thought today's MitDoG was pretty good. The reference was brilliant!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:38 pm 
Rysto wrote:
I was hoping for "Meanwhile, it's Gwynn!" Oh, well.

LOL! That would have been PERFECT!

*sigh*

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions