Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:55 pm 
I suggest everyone who has to complain about these strips every single weekend should shut up. I mean it. People have different brands of humor. I don't give a damn if the strip has nothing but talk about ****ers, There's no place for any of you to be saying anything against it. If you can't find things funny and look past the stereotypes which, by the way, are being made fun of, then you should quit looking for humor anywhere. Stereotypes in comics aren't there to be hurtful to anyone in real life. It's an overexaggeration to bring out the humor in it. Quit being selfish and complaining about a comic that only you or a small group of people dislike. If you can't get the humor, it's either not a joke, or you don't have a sense of humor. In this case, it's the latter.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:58 pm 
swingerzetta wrote:

and deplora is kindof cute now

Yea, she is.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:00 pm 
Rocketfox wrote:

But teehee, Plorb looks like Gwynn!

I thought so too. :gwynn:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:14 pm 
Cheez Wizz wrote:
I suggest everyone who has to complain about these strips every single weekend should shut up. I mean it.

Ah. So you are the mod in charge of everything Sluggy-related then? And you have the overwhelming right to tell people that they have no right to complain?

I'm sorry, but your reaction, and your very post, is counterproductive. People have a right to tell Pete they are unhappy with the comic. That is what the Reactions forum is about. If they didn't have a right to do so... then there wouldn't be any forums at all. They exist for Pete to take heed on the pulse of the fans.

As for the entire "boycott" scenario, I pointed out the possibilities and *flaws* of such an approach. If people want to do so, it is their right. It's their right to LEAVE the comic and not read it again if they so desire. And if they are that unhappy with MitDo* then their not reading the comic on Saturday will be a way to deal with their unhappiness.

In fact, I'd think you'd be all FOR a boycott from those unhappy with MitDo* as then they wouldn't be POSTING reactions on Saturday against the Saturday comic and you could have your nice cozy forum to yourself without needing to hear people being unhappy about what's being done.

Tsk...

Robert A. Howard, desperately in need of a drink right now (hmm, nah, can't pour it in the keyboard for the mods, last time my computer got drunk off it and destroyed the downstairs...)

P.S. - my comments on the boycott bit were in response to a second posting from Cheez Wiz which seem to have been deleted. So no, I'm not completely barking mad. :kiki:

Last edited by Tangent on Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:16 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: styx326
AOL: drummeronthemoon
Okay, ladies and gentlemen, this is getting repeatative and nearly childish.

This forum is for the reaction of the days comic, and what you liked or disliked about it. While you can comment about the artist at your will, these psuedo-debates are occuring weekly, they are always the same bickering, and they do not belong in this section of Sluggy.net. Please keep this civilized, and I will open a special thread in SRC to discuss MITDO*.

Thank you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:19 pm 
dd, just a small question: Are your comments on complaints in general from people wanting MitDo* to be ended, or the counterflames that have been erupting from it? In a way, the former (people requesting MitDo* to end) are reactions (just unhappy ones), so it's a tad confusing.

That's all. :kiki:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:28 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: styx326
AOL: drummeronthemoon
I mean both, pretty much. Any talk of Ian's continued employment with Sluggy should be in SRC, not here. This area is for the comic.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:53 pm 
Hi. I'm new to these fora.

I was disappointed by today's comic, for a specific reason; Here we have the two demons who are the closest thing to royalty that the Dimension of Grief has right now, they are stripped of power and stature; and they don't ... grieve. Not only are they reduced, but they don't even seem to have the painful memory of having once been greater than they are.

Deplora and Terribus were in a position that could have been very interesting and angst-ridden, and lots of the ways they could have reacted (does it count as speculation if we know already that they're not going to do it?) would have lent themselves to lots of good gags while still preserving the characters as having depth and intelligence, pride, and complex motivations, if not necessarily power and looks.

What we got was another lame Springer parody. First of all, it's been done to death. Second, it completely destroys any possibility for subterfuge about the loss of their abilities. Third, it wasn't funny.

I didn't know until I came here that a lot of people complain about Ian's weekend strips; I haven't been particularly a fan of the weekend strips, but this was the first one that I felt utterly wasted a situation that could have developed lots of truly funny material and lots of storyline.

This just failed.

Tortue

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:34 pm 
Pardalis wrote:
Deplora and Terribus however turned into rednecks. Which they weren't when we saw them before as Plorb and Terb. (Plorb when mentioning the grief-prince didn't seem to hillbilly like.)

That was my major issue with the strip, too. I appreciate that Ian's allowed to do what he likes with the characters (and for the most part, I don't mind his interpretation all that much), but to mess with Plorb and Terb's intelligence when there's no previous justification for it, for the sake of a stale gag (couldn't they at least appear on something that's still producing new episodes, like "DOG's Next Top Demon"?) seems like such a waste of potential. Here's hoping they wise up, quit fighting each other, and go fight to reclaim their nobility.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:05 am 
I think I know how the people who dislike MitDoX does. Here I read this entire thread filled with almost only flames, counterflames and flamebait., I could have stopped at anytime and just hit the backbutton or ctrl + w. And now when I am at the end I really hasn't anything to say about the comic anymore cause I just want to lash out against some forum goers. However Tangents posts made me think twice so instead of getting into any kind of debate (read flaming, as it would soon become) I will just post these opinions, and my reason why and then log of. After this I will boycott saturdays reactions threads as I do assume people are going to continue this bickering.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:52 am 
*wry chuckle*

I am a bit of a long-winded git now, ain't I?

*sigh* I don't know what the problem with Do* is. Maybe it's because it tries to make light of a dimension of suffering. But... Pete had managed that and rather well, too. So I'm puzzled and struggling to figure out just what is so different about Do* strips on Saturday.

I don't think I'm alone in that either. Just some are more vocal about it. (If that's possible... *rolls eyes at self*)

Robert A. Howard

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:20 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: thortok2000
AOL: Thortok2000
Every week I try to find the best in Ian's strips. (The Red Sox winning was pretty funny...)

So it's not that I hate him. It's that, weekly, he disappoints me.

I stand by what I said yesterday, 'Plorb' looks almost good in panel 6 and the 'blue trash' was almost funny (more of a 'groaner' than anything), but not worth the whole strip to build up to. Oh, and he didn't do too badly by Sweral.

The rest of it sucked. And that's purely my reaction. To today's strip.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions