Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2024 3:06 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Pheehelm wrote:
I have wondered how much the characters have aged and how much the comic runs on a floating timeline. If we suppose the characters were around 20 at the start, they should be well into their 40s by now (even Zoë, who effectively skipped over a couple years).

Pete made a blog entry about that at some point (deleted since then, so posting it from Webarchive, I hope this is OK)
https://web.archive.org/web/20220120102 ... ime-retcon

Quote:
Time works weird in the Sluggyverse. To be honest it feels like Torg and Riff were kids-to-teens in the 80's, college-age in the 90's and pretty much have stayed 20-something forever after that (with Zoë being slightly younger and Gwynn will never admit her age anywho).

I'd say, however, that we are at a point where they might now be in their early 30's, maybe. I consider them now at least in their lat 20's (the time where you start to get married and even have children.

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:31 am 
Good catch; thanks for posting that for us!

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2024 11:45 am 
Floating timeline it is, then.

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:11 pm 
Honestly, even if we ignore the fact that several different Halloweens, Christmases, etc. occurred in the earlier years of the comics, it seems like there have been enough explicit time jumps that them still being in their 20s strains the bounds of credulity, but I guess we just have to let comic logic apply.

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 3:26 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Dimensional hopping. Forward and backward in time. Genetic code gone through a blender, multiple times. Demons, monsters, aliens, Bun-Bun...

Considering everything that's happened to the gang, they probably don't know how old they are either.

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 12:43 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
It's been pretty interesting to see Torg and Zoe playing the stuffy responsible adults who don't get it, to Meander's teen angst hero arc.

Which makes sense weirdly. If Meander is now a senior in high school that probably puts her about the same age Torg Riff & Zoe started the comic at.

Even when they were young, I don't think either Riff, Torg or even Zoe were quite where Meander is.

Gwynn could probably relate to her, but ironically Gwynn being full tilt into the reckless retributive obsession bit at the moment - while being exactly the kind of mindset that could empathize with Meander right now - also means she's too fixated on her work to help.

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 1:30 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Honestly, even if we ignore the fact that several different Halloweens, Christmases, etc. occurred in the earlier years of the comics, it seems like there have been enough explicit time jumps that them still being in their 20s strains the bounds of credulity, but I guess we just have to let comic logic apply.

The seasonal holidays used to correlate with our world, and you could argue the characters ageing matched that too, but at some point, it became detached.

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 1:32 pm 
I see the kind of things Torg is saying here as more like harsh but necessary truths, not comforting words. You can't be someone's primary support group if, well, you're not. And you can't take on everyone's burden. Of course, given what was going on in the rest of Meander's life, they might be the ones best suited to be her support group after all, because the usual roles aren't working.

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2024 5:10 pm 
VVK wrote:
I see the kind of things Torg is saying here as more like harsh but necessary truths, not comforting words. You can't be someone's primary support group if, well, you're not. And you can't take on everyone's burden. Of course, given what was going on in the rest of Meander's life, they might be the ones best suited to be her support group after all, because the usual roles aren't working.

Yeah, I didn't think he was going for comforting either -- just laying down some required ground rules.

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:08 pm 
CheeseWhisper wrote:
Yeah, I didn't think he was going for comforting either -- just laying down some required ground rules.

Except then she said that wasn't comforting and he accepted it had been dumb.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:56 am 
CodeBlack wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
It's been pretty interesting to see Torg and Zoe playing the stuffy responsible adults who don't get it, to Meander's teen angst hero arc.

Which makes sense weirdly. If Meander is now a senior in high school that probably puts her about the same age Torg Riff & Zoe started the comic at.

Even when they were young, I don't think either Riff, Torg or even Zoe were quite where Meander is.

Gwynn could probably relate to her, but ironically Gwynn being full tilt into the reckless retributive obsession bit at the moment - while being exactly the kind of mindset that could empathize with Meander right now - also means she's too fixated on her work to help.

Well I'm assuming here that Meander is a highschool senior (that math may actually add up I think? Not that it strictly matters). And I've always treated Torg and Riff as having started the comic at 18, as college freshmen, even if we never see them in college per se. Just seemed the right vibe to me. So at least from my perspective, Meander seems like the same age Torg and Riff were in 97, even though they're certainly not 40-somethings currently. Although since she has foster parents, I suppose the oldest she can be is 17 so perhaps a preamble to the first days of the comic.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:18 pm 
I'm not sure what you mean by that math may work put, since I'm not sure there's very clear time progression we can do math on. However, if you mean the math of real world years = Sluggy years, then it doesn't. Meander was introduced 19 years ago. If we were doing that kind of math, she would definitely be fully adult and out of college. If she were still in school at all, it'd be grad school. Not sure how old she was when she was introduced, but I'm gonna say the absolute minimum has to be 5 and it was probably older than that. However, since we know the Sluggy year to real year correspondence hasn't been one to one for a long time now, if it ever even was, I would say any high school age is probably semi-plausible. I doubt adding up the explicit time jumps (if that's what you mean by the math adding up) would take us out of that range.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions