Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:19 pm 
Not sure where to put this post, or how many people will see it here, but...

NiftySearch is kinda, sorta back up. The reasons for the site crashing are still being worked on by our volunteer host. The search engine appears to be (mostly) working, although you may get a warning error message when you use it. The transcription part of the site is still down, however. Do not be surprised if the search engine goes down again as work on the site continues. But he's halfway there...

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:33 pm 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Thanks. I felt a bit unarmed without it.

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:28 pm 
Ditto. I was starting to worry it was never coming back.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:34 pm 
Happy birthday, Pete! :kiki:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:12 pm 
I agree! Have a most delightful birthday! That's an order! :bunbun: says so.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:38 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Don't know if there is an other place to do that. I understand the need of advertisement. I made a point to never use add-block. What I don't want is third party websites tracking my browsing habit and making target advertisements by creating a profile out of it. I have no issue with seeing adds or even getting located adds based on where my server is, but I care about my privacy.

I see no options to opt out of such trackers on your website. Is it absent, or am I just missing it?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:04 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
Don't know if there is an other place to do that. I understand the need of advertisement. I made a point to never use add-block. What I don't want is third party websites tracking my browsing habit and making target advertisements by creating a profile out of it. I have no issue with seeing adds or even getting located adds based on where my server is, but I care about my privacy.

I see no options to opt out of such trackers on your website. Is it absent, or am I just missing it?

Maybe use incognito mode or something similar on your browser? There is a setting that blocks third party cookies...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:53 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
GUIGUI wrote:

Maybe use incognito mode or something similar on your browser? There is a setting that blocks third party cookies...

My browser is already set to block third party cookies, but I don't like to agree to tracking cookies anyway. Most websites with those cookies agreement requests have opt-out option, and it's annoying this one doesn't.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:46 am 
Happy birthday, Pete! Thanks for giving us the present of another piece of the story today :kiki:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:44 pm 
Hope you've had another fantastic birthday, Pete! :kiki:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:46 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:

Well, it's not here anymore. So it's at least that.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:04 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
GUIGUI wrote:

Well, it's not here anymore. So it's at least that.

And it's back. Still no option to opt out...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:12 pm 
Again, I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this news:

NiftySearch is still a bit buggy, but the transcription part has been repaired. I have completed transcripts almost through July and should be caught up by early next week.

There is another issue with the transcripts that occurred the previous time that NiftySearch "glitched." Just before the pandemic the transcription textbox suddenly no longer accepted special characters. I had a few too many things on my mind at the time, so I failed to ponder the implications. When I 'came to,' I realized that the issue went beyond Zoë (umlaut), and finally petitioned to get this fixed in NiftySearch, which was promptly done. I thought that I only had to go back and fix the pandemic years, so initially, I was not in a hurry to do so. Then I discovered that the glitch had affected every special character ever transcribed (replacing the special character with a ? surrounded by a black diamond within ALL of the transcripts). UGH!

I had fixed this issue through the end of 2014 when NiftySearch went down this time. So this issue should only affect Jan. 2015 through July 2022 currently (I hope). I will return to complete the fix once I am caught up with the current transcripts, but please be patient as this is a busy time of year and it's a slow process (in part because I was enjoying yet another archive dive).

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:48 am 
Well, congrats on completing this hell of a beast chapter, Pete. enjoy your rest, you have deserved it.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:21 pm 
I miss stick figure fillers. They were good.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions