Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:58 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Tuesday had something come up last minute, so it wasn't sure if it was going to get here in time.

It did.

----------
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Please remember to vote each day.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:37 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Torg's really holding a grudge about that fork incident, and he didn't even get stabbed!! which I had forgotten after all these years XD.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:17 am 
Yahoo Messenger: 11
"No eyeballs?"
"No."
"Well what about..."
"NO REGULAR BALLS EITHER!"

Good thing that Riff, Sam, and Oasis still dig Torg. Maybe Sasha.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:38 am 
I don't understand aylee's problem at all.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 am 
Gwynn has always been moody, actually dislikable, but looking at the second flashback, I understand her frustration with Torg. People like him and he succeeds despite being goofy, and she hates that.

"What do you struggle with Torg? Trying to close those giant eyelids of yours while you nap through life?"

What annoys her is that he is the main character, so good things will come to him at the end of the day despite being goofy. And when he decides to rescue his friends, and it's against all odds, he succeeds, and everyone who said no looks bad.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:08 am 
Sotanaht wrote:
I don't understand aylee's problem at all.

Yeah, that's got me stumped too. Maybe all the things that Torg's done for Aylee have been while she's out of the room or something, like when Torg stopped Riff from killing her for the Nth time, and so we're privy to information that Aylee is not.

@Silverwalker: I like that take on Gwynn. Main characters are so annoying, with their "I'm a self-made man" BS.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:20 am 
Dodger77 wrote:
Torg's really holding a grudge about that fork incident, and he didn't even get stabbed!! which I had forgotten after all these years XD.

I had too. I was thinking she had actually stabbed him with a fork during one of the shower incidents. But looking back at the history, I don't see it anywhere.

Aylee: she has always been in love with Torg, and always got casually set aside. I think years of emotional neglect and disappointment have made her bitter and angry.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:43 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
I get Aylee's problem, but it's not all Torg. She feels he treats her almost like a pet, but it's more akin to a younger sister or a child IMO. And how could he not? For a large chunk of her life she's had a non-human form, and he's had to protect and cover for her. It's only semi-recently she's been able to blend in and be autonomous. He literally plucked her from her world; he feels responsible for her. But it also drives home he doesn't see her as an individual capable of caring for herself.

It certainly doesn't help that she's in love with him, and he's oblivious because he doesn't see her that way, to the point it's not even a consideration she might have those feelings; that has to sting.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:34 pm 
Totally agree, except: Torg didn't "pluck" her from her world. She was trying to KILL Torg and Riff while they were desperately trying to escape, and she got sucked into their exit plan. She can't blame Torg for being here.

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1997-10-25

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:03 pm 
garyfritz wrote:
Aylee: she has always been in love with Torg, and always got casually set aside. I think years of emotional neglect and disappointment have made her bitter and angry.

Look, until someone choses to use their big-person words to express their problems, nobody should be expected to read their mind and solve their issues for them. Aylee has the gift of language just like everybody else; if she has a problem with the way Torg has been treating her, she can't just sit there and brood over it and vaguebook about it and then be mad that nobody understands. That's not even counting all the times Torg has gone against literally all of his friends at some point or another to save Aylee's life.

AND FURTHERMORE, if Aylee spent all this time having zero clue that Torg was head-over-heels in love with Zoe, she's a thousand times more oblivious and self-centered than Torg has ever been on his worst day.

At this point, I'm shipping Aylee and Gwen, because they're both coming across as selfish, shallow, "what-have-you-done-for-me-LATELY?" types with only the most tenuous grasp on how the events of the past affect the context of the present. They deserve each other.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:24 pm 
shmuck wrote:
@Silverwalker: I like that take on Gwynn. Main characters are so annoying, with their "I'm a self-made man" BS.

Whoah there. When has he ever said that he's doing it all by himself? Torg is very friendly and works with others. In most stories I can think of, the main character is working with others and doesn't claim that he does it by himself.

Celadon wrote:
But it also drives home he doesn't see her as an individual capable of caring for herself.

Because she is an alien from another dimension who knew nothing about Earth, and even now can't understand humans very well. Without Torg she'd be behind bars for eating people every day.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 pm 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
VoxAdActa wrote:
garyfritz wrote:

Look, until someone choses to use their big-person words to express their problems, nobody should be expected to read their mind and solve their issues for them. Aylee has the gift of language just like everybody else; if she has a problem with the way Torg has been treating her, she can't just sit there and brood over it and vaguebook about it and then be mad that nobody understands. That's not even counting all the times Torg has gone against literally all of his friends at some point or another to save Aylee's life.

I'll say this: Opening up your love feeling when you know they are not reciprocated is not only difficult, you know it will hurt and feel humiliating anyway. People tend to just not do it, but at the same time, keeping inside those feelings tend to make them turn sour. And this is where Aylee is right now. And it has worsened with Tor keeping her out to "keep her safe". I can understand where she is right now.

But she need to seriously talk about it to someone.

Quote:
AND FURTHERMORE, if Aylee spent all this time having zero clue that Torg was head-over-heels in love with Zoe, she's a thousand times more oblivious and self-centered than Torg has ever been on his worst day.

To be fair, Aylee didn't even realise she had a thing for Torg until she saw him kissing Zoe. And even then it took some time to process. Not sure she has completely figured it out.

I'll say this, though. Gwynn has been through the harshest poop recently, so I'll give her some slacks.

Silverwalker wrote:
shmuck wrote:

Whoah there. When has he ever said that he's doing it all by himself? Torg is very friendly and works with others. In most stories I can think of, the main character is working with others and doesn't claim that he does it by himself.

In recent years, Torg has developed in a way where he tends to try to solve all the problem by himself out of fear of endangering his friends. It really started when he lost DoL Zoe and it has gotten worse after Riff knocked him off in the vampire incident. He doesn't want anyone he care about to be hurt, and it has tended to turn him into a control freak. That' something he'll need to work on in the future. And by "future", I mean now.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:56 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
I'll say this: Opening up your love feeling when you know they are not reciprocated is not only difficult, you know it will hurt and feel humiliating anyway. People tend to just not do it, but at the same time, keeping inside those feelings tend to make them turn sour. And this is where Aylee is right now. And it has worsened with Tor keeping her out to "keep her safe". I can understand where she is right now.

But she need to seriously talk about it to someone.

I agree with this. I would add that the last time Aylee was "included" as part of the group she saved Zoe's life (if only momentarily) - almost losing her own in doing so. In the immediate aftermath, Torg shut everyone out refusing to believe that Riff and Zoe were permanently gone. Both Gwynn and Aylee were frustrated at Torg at that point. And Torg pushed them both away...

It did not help that Aylee was listening - if not talking - to Gwynn's POV at that time. And then Gwynn left to have her own adventures leaving Aylee alone to care for Queen Siphaniana - which (understandably) she mistook for a recovering drunk Gwynn.

Since then Aylee has been left on her own. Not only banished from Torg's side but from the only "family" she's known since she got here and adjusted to her new life. I don't blame her for feeling "This is the thanks I get for saving Zoe??" I think Aylee knows why Torg is leaving her behind and she's angry that he doesn't trust her to be part of the fight - particularly when she has already proved herself so spectacularly. Torg is not just brushing aside her unrequited love, he's brushing aside her very existence.

Aylee's current form resembles the walls people put up when they've been repeatably abandoned.

Just sayin'...

As for Gwynn. I agree that she is very self-centered, often shallow, and moody. Her self-centeredness has created many problems for her and the gang over the years - including her current predicament. But the main difference between Gwynn and most narcissists that I know is that when push comes to shove she is there for her "family" (and even non-family, if you count Marcos) and will come through. That trait, albeit a latent one, makes her more desirable as a character to me. Many non-narcissists will cut and run when threats abound.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:19 am 
Ouch.

Aylee's has been relatively isolated from recent events, and she had never had a chance to talk to Torg about her feelings when everything is consistent crises...

I don't want the other characters to be so mad at Torg though! Everyone needs some down time to relax and decompress, but it's not going to happen for a while...

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:47 am 
Aylee is an alien. An ALIEN. Even though she currently looks human she isn't.

A HUGE part of human emotion is biochemistry - the complicated interaction of adrenalin, dopamine, serotonin, etc. In humans a relatively recent self-aware controller sits on top of that mess.

When something happens to a human, like hugging a loved one, spotting a spider on the rim of your toilet at 4 AM, or watching a 'friend' stab what they though was YOUR head with a fork different glands dump out various levels of these chemicals which cause reactions, physical and intellectual.

Aylee is ALIEN. It's biochemistry is going to behave differently than a humans would in the same situation. She probably triggers ghrelin production when she hugs a friend instead of oxytocin! Who knows how he is processing events at an emotional level?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions